Getting sick of it.

Just wait till DirectX 10. That will most likely change the way we play PC games. And no, its not all about graphics.

I think you are due for a break from pc gaming, go buy a console or two, have some fun, when the console gets old and you are ready to build a new pc, go ahead then buy whatever good titles have came out while you where breaking.

I recently bought a 360 and a few wireless controllers and a bunch of games. It dosnt see much play outside of having friends over.

Whenever im playing GoW or rainbow six online i just get frustrated at the crappy controller (even when im doing well in game) and think to myself "shit, i could be playing battlefield 2 or CS:S, screw this".

I just started replaying half life 1 and 2 and im having a great time. Who needs new games? I'm sure there are plenty of old ones that need some lovin'. Go dig up system shock, deus ex, diablo, baldurs gate 2, maybe even...falcon 4.0 :O

There are plenty of games out there for PC that have low system requirements, and are great. They just are a little old. If you havent played any of the games i mentioned, go pick em up off of ebay or amazon or something and enjoy them. They are all great. Stop trying to find reasons to hate on PC gaming, and go look for reasons to enjoy it no matter what hardware you have.

1) System requirements are typically not that bad, not for the money paid, but if you shoot for low/mid range kit don't expect it to last very long, if you go for high end kit you'll get a good few years out of it. However recently there has been a tendancy towards higher end kit only and system requirements seems to be advancing faster than some people have the money for. I think it's all the HD hype and the new consoles, once the consoles are a 6-12 months old and their graphics are no longer the dogs dangely bits there wont be as much competition.

2) Graphical quality is one of those things that drives a lot of people to gaming, like it or not. I'm kinda oldschool in my gaming that I can look back and apreciate the original Sam and Max, or the original Monkey Island, even today when their graphics are laughable in comparison to the latest releases. My opinion on this is that it's ok to go over the top with graphics as long as they keep the engines scaleable, games like Rainbow 6 Vegas while being a totaly bitchin' game don't offer much in the way of scaleability for people with older rigs, there's no fall back shaders what so ever!

3) Copy protection, much like your first point about system requirements, I think will reach a peak where companies will finally realise that copy protection is more trouble than it's worth and that losses to piracy is simply something you cannot avoid, I think starforce is an excelent example of this, so many people started boycotting games that it had a noticeable effect on many development studios who dropped any future use of starforce, i think the invasion of copy protection is going to level out and even maybe go down, however I foresee applications like steam becoming more popular, that doesn't really change anything though, you've not been able to warez multiplayer portions of games since way back in the original HL and WON authentication which validates all keys.

PC gaming wont die, and the reason why is because PC's and the users adapt, it's not only what keeps the platform alive but also at the forefront of technology and advancements.

I think one of the biggest problems is peoples choices in the games they buy, I see a lot of bashing of titles which are really enjoyable, if you buy them for the right reasons. Doom3 is a perfect example, loads of people bashed that and many people loved it, those who bashed it almost certainly expected something totaly different. I think we need more demo's for games thats something we seem to be seeing less and less of now a days.

There's some fantastic games out there though, recently I've enjoyed Company of heroes for RTS, Need for speed for driving, Counter strike and Day of defeat for online FPS, FEAR and Rainbow 6 for FPS singleplayers, Anno 1701 for building/mangement. I'm quite confident you can find some decent PC games out there if you just know what to look for. What I do is check websites like www.gamershell.com for all the latest game trailers, with such fast download speeds you can chew through a good few HD movies in an hour and pick out what looks really good and make a note to check for updates and demos.

Theres some good reasons to go for consoles but for "better" games, I don't think so, i think the choice of really good games on consoles is just as sparce as it is on the PC.

yes, many game developers are not doing their due diligence!

Take a look at NWN2, that game will bring you latest and greatest recently purchased PC to a crawl in .6 seconds.

Sloppy I tell you.

But then there are those who still make good quality games, Like Stardock and Galactic Civilizations... ah the good stuff.

TheNuker said:
I'm really getting sick of computer gaming. It's being to terrible lately that I have no clue to do next. Let me point out what's sickening me so much:

1) Absurd system requirements:
I remember when I got my Athlon XP, it was the 1700 model. Everything from that time ran great. Until last year it was still capable of running almost everything with ease. But early this year I got myself an AMD64 and I was sure it would be like before, enough for at least three years of use, but now I find that my AMD64 3000+ is sooooo outdated for today's standards ....<SNIP>....

Were you ever around for PC gaming before the athlon XP? The 386 or the 486 era, or even before then? I cant really prove my argument, since I cant seem to find (or remember) what a new low end "Gaming" pc would cost, and what games were out. Though, I dont remember being able to buy a new PC that was able to play anything demanding like games, for 700 or 800 dollars.

Personally, I like nice graphics. I dont have cable tv, I Dont have a dvd player, I dont even have a VCR. Cable runs about 40 a month here... or $1920.00 every 4 years. I could sit on my butt and watch tv, or I can use games. $1000 every 4 years for a computer isnt bad at all. Hell, you dont even have to spend $1k on a computer... you could get by with 700.

You say that, but then I look at Command and Conquer 3 and Supreme Commander and it is SOOOOOOO worth upgrading to me. I am actually going to build a new rig since I sold my gaming rig last week.

Json23 said:
You say that, but then I look at Command and Conquer 3 and Supreme Commander and it is SOOOOOOO worth upgrading to me. I am actually going to build a new rig since I sold my gaming rig last week.
SC is a gorgeous game.. but the requirements aren't as high as you'd think.

I run the beta just fine at 1680x1050, medium settings, 2xAA, with an overclocked 6800GS and Athlon X2 3800+.

bob said:
Were you ever around for PC gaming before the athlon XP? The 386 or the 486 era, or even before then? I cant really prove my argument, since I cant seem to find (or remember) what a new low end "Gaming" pc would cost, and what games were out. Though, I dont remember being able to buy a new PC that was able to play anything demanding like games, for 700 or 800 dollars.

Personally, I like nice graphics. I dont have cable tv, I Dont have a dvd player, I dont even have a VCR. Cable runs about 40 a month here... or $1920.00 every 4 years. I could sit on my butt and watch tv, or I can use games. $1000 every 4 years for a computer isnt bad at all. Hell, you dont even have to spend $1k on a computer... you could get by with 700.

which is true, if you factor in inflation, etc.....it was actually more expensive back in the early 80's when i started getting into computers, i remember my father paying something like $1500.00 for a IBM "Clone" XT machine running 4.7Mhz with a whopping 640k memory and a single sided 5.25" floppy drive, and oh yeah, a Hercules Monochrome Amber "graphics adapter" with monitor.....

Good point about the old days of PC gaming. One game that comes to mind is Wing Commander. I think that game needed a newer, for its time, processor than almost any game today would require.

Complaint's about patches, seem trivial compared to having to create boot disks with the right drivers and proper memory allocation.

When it comes to costs, after adjusting for inflation computers are certainly a lot cheaper now.

Back