Getting my kids a new console - which one?

Which console for my kids?

• Wii U

Votes: 73 61.3%
  • PS4

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • XB1

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
Is an XBL sub required to play games like Disney Infinity? How about subscriptions for PS4 or Wii U?

Is an XBL required to play games like Disney Infinity? How about subscriptions for PS4 or Wii U?

That I don't know (my kid doesn't play the Inifinity games). For the most part if there's multiplayer capability you'll need a XBL account (or a PSN account for PS4) to play against other players online. For local multiplayer play and single player games you shouldn't need a XBL Gold subscription.

Wii U does not require a subscription for their online multiplayer.

Also, to help cement the deal (and if you're in the US), here's a pretty sweet deal on the Xbone. Not really kid friendly games, but the extra controller and one year subscription to XBL makes for a sweet deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16868105119

Is an XBL sub required to play games like Disney Infinity? How about subscriptions for PS4 or Wii U?

The subscription is only needed for multiplayer. I'm not sure if there is any online multiplayer for disney infinity. My kids play it on the 360 and they only have the silver account.

Paying a subscription fee to play online for a console you already bought and pay $60 a game for. :rolleyes:

Yep. That's why WiiU would be best. Dunno why people are choosing XB1 and the like, lol.

I have the PS4 and the WiiU. Right now the PS4 is getting all the play due to it being new to them. Boys are 10 & 7. I think the WiiU is the best bet however due to the fun family games. Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros alone are worth the price of the console

Picked up their XB1 yesterday. Hooked everything up, claimed the codes for Assassin's Creed Black Flag and Unity, plus installed the Disney Infinity Software. Kids played it...god damn, they played the hell out of it yesterday. Going after work today to buy a second controller; store I bought the XB1 from is out and they are on backorder until at least the middle of the month . Gonna be a quiet weekend for me while they are tearing through the Avengers play world!

Question about the controller: the Microsoft branded Play and Charge Kit includes a 1400 mAH Li-Po battery pack. I have some NiCd rechargables rated for 1400 MAH each.
Would I get more battery time using two of the NiCd (totalling 2800 mAH) or the Li-Po pack?

Picked up their XB1 yesterday. Hooked everything up, claimed the codes for Assassin's Creed Black Flag and Unity, plus installed the Disney Infinity Software. Kids played it...god damn, they played the hell out of it yesterday. Going after work today to buy a second controller; store I bought the XB1 from is out and they are on backorder until at least the middle of the month . Gonna be a quiet weekend for me while they are tearing through the Avengers play world!

Question about the controller: the Microsoft branded Play and Charge Kit includes a 1400 mAH Li-Po battery pack. I have some NiCd rechargables rated for 1400 MAH each.
Would I get more battery time using two of the NiCd (totalling 2800 mAH) or the Li-Po pack?

I've been using regular rechargeable AAs. I've used 1400 and 2200 mah, I can't say the difference was that big. I still got several days before I had to replace them on both. I would say use 1400mah and how long they last.

Don't think the OP actually wanted anything from his poll other than a few people to confirm what he already wanted: XB1.

Don't think the OP actually wanted anything from his poll other than a few people to confirm what he already wanted: XB1.

:rolleyes:

Given the title of the thread states "Getting my KIDS a new console...", it had nothing to do with what I wanted. I was fully ready to go and get the Wii U since everyone that commented about it said that all our existing Wii controllers (I have 4 of them), games, and even the sensor bar can be used with the Wii U. Made sense to stick with Nintendo.

However, I am not a console gamer and this is to be strictly for my kids. Believe it or not, I'm one of those parents that takes my children's feedback into consideration when it comes to things like this.

Thanks for coming off like an ass and not contributing anything worth a shit, though.

I voted and Wii U and any comments I would have made in support of the Wii U were voiced by others. Sorry I missed the post in wherein you stated your kids were already deadset on an XBOX1. Pity you didn't bother asking them before everyone spent time reading and responding to your query.

Happy gaming to you and your lucky kids.

Votes Wii U, has the best selection of family friendly games. My kid uses the tablet to watch TV shows all the time too, she loves that portable screen.

Talked to my kids about which one they really want the most. All three of them answered XB1. I asked why, and they said it's because all of their friends from school as well as in our neighborhood have an XB. After reading all the good feedback about the Wii U, I was seriously considering getting one, but looks like my kids unanimous vote for the XB1 wins.

At least I know they'll use it because "everyone else has one". Last thing I want is to dump $300+ on a Wii U and they hardly use it.

Thanks for all the votes and replies, everyone! MUCH appreciated!

And what games are their friends playing on XBox One? Around here the 10 year olds with a One are mostly playing shit like CoD and other M rated games. A lot of the popular games you can't get on Wii U are totaled generally intended for an older audience. If you want to buy those games for your kids, go for it.

And what games are their friends playing on XBox One? Around here the 10 year olds with a One are mostly playing shit like CoD and other M rated games. A lot of the popular games you can't get on Wii U are totaled generally intended for an older audience. If you want to buy those games for your kids, go for it.

Both my boys said that their friends play a lot of the Lego superhero games. I'm sure they have friends whose parents let them play CoD, GTA, and the like...but I won't be getting any of those types of games for my kiddos.

Both my boys said that their friends play a lot of the Lego superhero games. I'm sure they have friends whose parents let them play CoD, GTA, and the like...but I won't be getting any of those types of games for my kiddos.

Yar, noticed on my kids' Xbox that he has friends playing GTA V (they'd be either 10 or 11), but he's been good when I tell him it's a game that he's not allowed to play. Still think it's crazy that kids his age are being allowed to play it - though I think it's mainly due to ignorance on the parents part.

Yar, noticed on my kids' Xbox that he has friends playing GTA V (they'd be either 10 or 11), but he's been good when I tell him it's a game that he's not allowed to play. Still think it's crazy that kids his age are being allowed to play it - though I think it's mainly due to ignorance on the parents part.

Agreed. I enjoy those games as something whom they are meant for: an adult.

I play GTA V, I have a 9 and 10 year old and I won't even play it when they're around.I can't even imagine a 10 year old playing that game. I think I'd be hesitant still if my kids were 16 or 17 to let them play it.

One thing I would also question is the friends xbox live used by their parents as well. Sometimes my kids will play on my account for certain games, the same one I play GTA V on. I have a gold account, they don't so sometimes mine gets used.

Another vote for Wii U here. Both my kids are younger than 10 and love it. Plus, there aren't many games on the Wii U that I wouldn't let my kids play alone (ZombieU comes to mind).

Even though you already got an XB1, I still voted for Wii-U. Its definitely a more kid-centrist console system and has a great library of games to play, also with backwards compatibility, your not stuck buying additional items since you have remotes and stuff.
Plus as an adult, there are a few games you can play too for your own kicks (Bayonetta 2 for example).

After getting everything set up on the XB1, I gotta say that I feel Microsoft really fell short on the interface and the way things like account management is handled. It's clunky, scattered, and, for my children, rather confusing to navigate. The parental controls are horrid: I have yet to find a way to allow my kids to select their profile and log in to the console without entering an access passcode, but have a passcode on the Xbox store so they don't go buying $200 in games and apps every day. I want them to be able to turn the console on, select their profile to get logged in, and then select the games and apps that they are allowed to access without entering a passcode. If they try to get to the Xbox store, then that's where the passcode prompt will appear.

Really wish they weren't hellbent on straying away from the Nintendo ecosystem...

Granted, there may be a way to do exactly what I am talking about, but I am a total newb when it comes to consoles, and these unnecessary frustrations provide even more merit as to why I avoid consoles and favor all things PC.

After getting everything set up on the XB1, I gotta say that I feel Microsoft really fell short on the interface and the way things like account management is handled. It's clunky, scattered, and, for my children, rather confusing to navigate. The parental controls are horrid: I have yet to find a way to allow my kids to select their profile and log in to the console without entering an access passcode, but have a passcode on the Xbox store so they don't go buying $200 in games and apps every day. I want them to be able to turn the console on, select their profile to get logged in, and then select the games and apps that they are allowed to access without entering a passcode. If they try to get to the Xbox store, then that's where the passcode prompt will appear.

Yar, not sure how you go about setting up pass codes like that (or if it's even possible). My kid's a bit older than yours, so he's allowed to access the Store, but since I don't have any payment information saved to the console, he can only purchase items if he has money from a Xbox card inputted onto his account.

For one time purchases, I'll log in to my paypal, purchase the item, then remove my paypal information from his console.

Definitely agree with the clunky interface, I had a heck of a time trying to figure out how to turn off automatic downloads. Still not completely sure if I did turn off automatic downloads either.

Really wish they weren't hellbent on straying away from the Nintendo ecosystem...

Granted, there may be a way to do exactly what I am talking about, but I am a total newb when it comes to consoles, and these unnecessary frustrations provide even more merit as to why I avoid consoles and favor all things PC.

I've been saying this forever yet the die hard fanboys think the interface is "great".

I voted Wii-U, but really I recommend whatever console their friends have so they can play together, same thing I say when recommending DSLR camera's to new buyers, what do your friends use?

Wii U. /thread

Definitely the most family friendly console out there. The other consoles are geared more towards mature players, with the exception of Kinect rubbish

Wii U. Xbox one and PS4 are frankly the same minus a few exclusives. You can generally get all the games you want from those two on the PC.

Wii U offers real exclusives and quality ones at that. Nintendo doesn't launch constantly broken games day one either.

I listened loud and clear, but this was my kids choice. You didn't read?

Ok, I rescind my last statement and instead claim poor parenting on your part. Don't bother arguing it. You meant the best, but you fucked up. This is textbook "modern parenting". Sometimes you gotta do whats best for them. Now go build them some PC's like you should have done from the start.

Update, since this is getting bumped:
Was able to find out how to customize the access restrictions, and now my kids can log in to each of their profiles without a passcode, but getting to the store is still protected. Glad that the feature IS there, after all. Life is better now. They love the XB1, and have adapted well from the Nintendo ecosystem. Disney Infinity and Forza 5 remain their go-to games, and I'm fine with that. I'm just waiting for the day in the near future that one of them asks me if they can have (insert rehashed military shooter) because one of their friends has it. Hope they won't be disappointed with my answer for too long. :p

Ok, I rescind my last statement and instead claim poor parenting on your part. Don't bother arguing it. You meant the best, but you fucked up. This is textbook "modern parenting". Sometimes you gotta do whats best for them. Now go build them some PC's like you should have done from the start.

I suggest you go back and actually read the entire thread since you obviously missed this crucial tidbit.

I'm still on an IB. :(

You keep referring back to stuff you wrote earlier in the thread. Uh, most of us are Americans and you actually expect us to read? Good luck with that.

Seriously though, glad your kids are enjoying the XB1. When you get right down to it, having fun gaming is what it's all about.

PS. It's not too late to buy them a Wii U.:D

Back