Getting iPhone; which service provider?

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
Just ordered an iPhone and I intend to JB it (since AT&T sucks around here and I don't want to use them anyways) so I'm wondering, among those who have JBed their iPhones, which servies provider and plan works for them with their iPhone?

I'm not currently attached to a provider (had Cingular before AT&T bought them up but it's been canceled for a while now) so I am shopping around; currently looking at TMobile but I'm unsure of what kind of plan to get right now.

Jailbreak isn't the same thing as unlock. And in my experience, ATT isn't that bad. I don't have problems really where I go to school in Indiana or back home in St. Louis, I don't get where all the hate comes from.

Jailbreak isn't the same thing as unlock. And in my experience, ATT isn't that bad. I don't have problems really where I go to school in Indiana or back home in St. Louis, I don't get where all the hate comes from.
It depends solely on location. Carriers can be awesome in one part of the country and terrible in another.

T-Mobile's your only real option, unless you want to go with a local virtual carrier.

I'll elaborate a bit on the earlier answers.

The iPhone is (at least, for the next few years) only capable of functioning on GSM-based phone networks. That's great for travel, as most of the world uses GSM, but there are only two major GSM-based carriers in the US. Those would, of course, be AT&T and T-Mobile. And hopefully you've got good T-Mobile coverage.

Most other major carriers in the US, such as Alltel, Sprint, and Verizon, use CDMA for their networks. It's incompatible with GSM, so there's simply no way you could put an existing iPhone on a CDMA network without the actual hardware in place. And Apple's exclusive deal with AT&T (which was based out of simplicity and features, if you believe Apple) means the iPhone won't be sold in CDMA form in the US for years.

For that matter, it might not ever be sold as CDMA in the US. By the time the AT&T deal is most likely to run out, some carriers may already be on a 4G technology named Long Term Evolution (LTE). Both AT&T and Verizon plan to move to LTE.

Im with tmobile right now, and I was going to switch to ATT and wait for the 3G iphone, BUT

I decided since I like my tmobile plan 39.99 for 1000 mins plus unlimited nights and weekend, tzone for 5.99 (which you can hack and get edge for cheap) I decided to stick with tmobile.

Now I dont have to pay for cingular/att 20 dollar internet plan.

Im with tmobile right now, and I was going to switch to ATT and wait for the 3G iphone, BUT

I decided since I like my tmobile plan 39.99 for 1000 mins plus unlimited nights and weekend, tzone for 5.99 (which you can hack and get edge for cheap) I decided to stick with tmobile.

Now I dont have to pay for cingular/att 20 dollar internet plan.

Cool, thanks. Thats what I was wondering about most. :) Apple says my phone should be here Thursday. :)

Cool, thanks. Thats what I was wondering about most. :) Apple says my phone should be here Thursday. :)

btw im a new iphone user myself, so pretty much all the noobie question you might have just PM Ill be more than happy to help you out...I have been trying to mess around with this thing and finally got mine unlocked for tmobile with the 1.1.4 firmware

Back