Getting HP USB-C dock to operate with 3 monitors

Nismo

[H]ard|Gawd
I have the x360 1030 G2 hooked up USB C to the HP Elite USB-C Dock G3. Then I have 3x 1920x1200 E241i monitors hooked, 2 via docks DisplayPorts and 1 via the docks HDMI port with an HDMI to DVI converter. The 2 DP monitors show up fine, but the HDMI one only has a low 640x480 resolution. The display properties where you can change monitor resolutions is grayed out. On that same scree, if I select Display Adaptor Properties, the resolutions listed in there for the DP monitors are all of them. The resolutions listed for the HDMI monitor only has the 1 640x480.

The dock instructions says that it supports 3 monitors, so what can I do to get the HDMI port working with the monitors 1920x1200 resolution, rather than stuck at 640x480?

try changing it in device manger to standard pnp monitor see if that helps. or remove it, unplug and replug all by itself to see if it kicks in properly.

EDIT: Hub run s in Alternate Mode.

If it's Alternate mode, the USB-C port could be running out of bandwidth. Those three monitors all have to send a signal over it, so how many PCIe lines are hooked to it in the HP spec sheet?

If it's just one, you're going to hit a limit.

In Alternate Mode, each 1920x1200@60Hz link uses 3.5 Gbps. A single PCIe 3 lane tops-out at 8Gbps.

Unfortunately, very few sites will cover the design to this depth.

Edit: after reading the specs of the hub itself, did you have the dock in high-resolution mode?

Last edited:
http://www8.hp.com/h20195/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4aa7-0133enw

The sheet says 3 monitors at 1920x1200 resolution is supported. I will try the Ho Rez button, but not sure if that is it. The directions say higher resolutions and refresh rates supported if you can take advantage and have PCIe lanes avail.

Do I need to check the lanes avail on the laptop USB-C connection to the dock? Or how many the dock accepts?

https://www.windowscentral.com/hp-elitebook-x360-g2
This says the laptop has 4PCIe lanes over the USB-C port.

Well damn, then it must be the high-res button. That or else call HP support.

You'd think that 2 lanes of DP 1.2 would be more than enough for three 1200p monitors though. You should only need 4 lanes for four of those.

Back