Getting a Wii U, should I get a SD Card or Flash Drive first?

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
Title says it all. Tomorrow I am getting a Wii U and was wanting to get either a SD Card or a Flash Drive to expand the memory. Which would be better to get?

SD Card, never go wrong with that..... :D All your saves can go on these and it can be moved easily. Its a life saver if you have ANY kind of trouble.

The flash drive is for when you start running out of room

I would pay extra for a better quality one, like a Class 10 durable. You don't want it dieing on you.

I would pay extra for a better quality one, like a Class 10 durable. You don't want it dieing on you.

1: Spelling: it's "dying"
2: That's what backups are for. Plug it in to a PC once in a while and run a copy of everything on there.

OK, I got a PNY SD Card Class 10.

I have a External 2.5" 500gb Hard Drive laying around doing nothing, can it be used to expand memory?

OK, I got a PNY SD Card Class 10.

I have a External 2.5" 500gb Hard Drive laying around doing nothing, can it be used to expand memory?

Why do you want more storage? There may be little to no point in getting an extra 500GB storage you won't use. Most Wii U games play from the disc with no option to install to storage. Nintendos eshop is like something from Y2K and not very accommodating to users with a lot of downloaded games (the game are tied to the console, not a user account).

SD Card, never go wrong with that..... :D All your saves can go on these and it can be moved easily. Its a life saver if you have ANY kind of trouble.

I disagree.

Save game data can only be placed in the internal storage or USB storage; you can't use the SD card slot for save games. The SD card slot is only used for the Wii side, SSB screenshots, and maybe a few other minor things. When you are backing up your save data, you have to copy the entire game along with with it. You'll have to delete it manually from the backup drive afterward. It is a hassle.

Digital games can be large. If you download Lego City Undercover, you'll be out of room for anything else. So you will need a USB drive unless you don't download digital games.

Use the USB hard drive or get a USB SSD or high quality flash drive. Don't use an SD card and USB adapter. They are slower and will fail sooner.

It's handy if you need to copy save data from an old Wii. I moved all my Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword saves over.

I actually have two 32GB USB sticks for game installs. I've only used one so far though, and have all my games installed right now.

Personally I use one of those external hdds that the USB from the Wii u can power. You're welcome to get the ones with a power brick, I've never used one of those personally but my old school 250gb does the trick.

Personally I use one of those external hdds that the USB from the Wii u can power. You're welcome to get the ones with a power brick, I've never used one of those personally but my old school 250gb does the trick.

Just be sure of the power requirements. I have a Dell 1TB 2.5" USB HDD that's USB powered, and the Wii U doesn't quite like it. It works, but occasionally drops the connection (typically when starting a game or installing one) which makes me think it's due to power.

I have a Seagate one that works fine though.

Back