Getting a nintendo DS

sabrewolf732

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey all, I'm getting a nintendo ds. Was thinking about the psp, then I though, don't need the mp3 playback capability, I have a 5GB mp3 player, don't need the movie thing as I usually don't watch movies more than once and browsing the internet gets boring. If the psp had better games I prob would have got it but what really made me choose the ds was mario kart wi fi! I can play other people in mario kart in study hall, badass. Ok so basically, what games should I get? Are there any other wi fi games? I can only get about 4 (not including mario kart as Im getting the MKDS bundle on the 28th). Right now I'm thinking:
Super mario 64 DS or whatever
Viewtiful Joe
Wario Ware touched
and???

Thanks alot. If there are other good wifi games coming out soon (before christmas) let me know please. Thanks. Also, I said four games cause I got about $120 for games. So make me a list for about $120, doesn't neccesarily have to be 4 games :cool:

as of right now.. the only wi fi games are:

Mario Kart DS
Tony hawks American skate land..

Dec. we have animal crossing
and early next year we have metroid prime hunters.

as for games to get.. i would tell you.. not to get Mario DS and go with castlevania:dawn od sorrow.. that game us jsut amazing.. i just beat a few nights ago..

it is better than symphony of the night... yes.. it is that good..

you can also try..

nanostray (the only problem with this game.. is that you can beat it in 2 horus.. but there are a shit load of challenges you have to do.. so it makes the play last longer)

Ridge racer DS.. i have it.. i like it..

better than symph of the night :eek: Ok, I think ill either get advanced wars or animal crossing, not sure now >_>

ADVANCED WARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*remembers playing animal crossing on the gamecube*
BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:p

I think Ill try to get both, gonna have to sell some stuff though :( but oh well, it's worth it :D I need a portable gaming system, study hall sucks when none of my freinds are there :(

Calpis said:
TELL.... THE..... TRUTH!....

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney all the way.

uhh Ill have to look that up, never heard of it o_O

Edit:
Man just saw metroid prime hunters, game looks B.A!

I got my ds a week ago and have
Nintendogs(fun)
Advanced Wars(fun but waiting on my little brother to get his so we can duel each other)
and Castlevania. Castlevania is insanely fun and I have not put it down yet.

Phoenix Wright is an adventure game (if you grew up playing games like King's Quest, Grim Fandango, and other LucasArts/Sierra adventure stuff you'll like it).

4 games? My top recommendations to you are the following:

1) Mario Kart DS - got it preordered, but couldn't resist the ROM. It plays like a DREAM! Best Mario Kart to date, and best multiplayer racing game, PERIOD!

2) Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - yes, if you're a 2D or a Castlevania fan, best game out right now.

3) Animal Crossing: This franchise is what the Nintendo fan-boys call "crack" - and for a good reason

4) Either Mario (the launch game) or Warioware Touched - you need one of those "quick fix" type mini-game parties with your system, and either one will serve you well. Warioware is more focused on fun short minigames completely, but the Mario remake has a ton of minigames as well, including stuff like poker, curling, shooting, etc. Wario Ware is the better "quick fix" game, but Mario also offers a REALLY long single player game (even longer than the original Mario 64) to go along with its addictive mini games. In the end, the choice is whether you want a really solid mini-game atmosphere, or a really solid single player experience, with a bit of mini-game atmosphere on the side.

To be honest though.. there are so many top-tier titles out for the DS right now, it's hard to choose. Do NOT and I repeat do NOT forget to ask for Nintendogs for Christmas from someone, or get it in some way. You may not think you'd like it... but trust me, you won't be able to resist it once you see the puppies. It's truly the game that the DS was created for, and you should most definately own it. Even the manliest of men wouldn't be able to say "awwwww" after playing that game for a few hours - and it uses all the DS' hardware potential - highly recommended.

Does anyone know when Secret of Mana will be released for the D.S? I read a preview for it a while back, and it sounded uber promising especially with the physics simular to the original on the SNES. Right after I buy that game then I will pick up a copy of MK and get back deeper into my roots. I need to get ready for my DS Revolution link up. I just realized that you can input into the REVOLUTION touch screen wise :eek:

Nintendogs LOL
Sims 2

Excellent choice!! Here is what id get righ toff the bat!

Mario Kart DS
Advance Wars DS
Meteos
Kirbys Canvus Curse
Sonic Rush
Castelvania

There are too many damn good games for the thing... it's making Christmas shopping for DS owners nearly impossible. All will get Mario Kart... but the others are tough to choose from.

steviep said:
Phoenix Wright is an adventure game (if you grew up playing games like King's Quest, Grim Fandango, and other LucasArts/Sierra adventure stuff you'll like it).

4 games? My top recommendations to you are the following:

1) Mario Kart DS - got it preordered, but couldn't resist the ROM. It plays like a DREAM! Best Mario Kart to date, and best multiplayer racing game, PERIOD!

2) Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - yes, if you're a 2D or a Castlevania fan, best game out right now.

3) Animal Crossing: This franchise is what the Nintendo fan-boys call "crack" - and for a good reason

4) Either Mario (the launch game) or Warioware Touched - you need one of those "quick fix" type mini-game parties with your system, and either one will serve you well. Warioware is more focused on fun short minigames completely, but the Mario remake has a ton of minigames as well, including stuff like poker, curling, shooting, etc. Wario Ware is the better "quick fix" game, but Mario also offers a REALLY long single player game (even longer than the original Mario 64) to go along with its addictive mini games. In the end, the choice is whether you want a really solid mini-game atmosphere, or a really solid single player experience, with a bit of mini-game atmosphere on the side.

To be honest though.. there are so many top-tier titles out for the DS right now, it's hard to choose. Do NOT and I repeat do NOT forget to ask for Nintendogs for Christmas from someone, or get it in some way. You may not think you'd like it... but trust me, you won't be able to resist it once you see the puppies. It's truly the game that the DS was created for, and you should most definately own it. Even the manliest of men wouldn't be able to say "awwwww" after playing that game for a few hours - and it uses all the DS' hardware potential - highly recommended.

See if I asked for nintendogs I would just feel gay, along with the fact that whoever I ask for it from would highy question my sexual orientation. ROFL.

Gawd damn it.. i told you alreadyll

Castlevania = the alpha and Omega of video games... done and done

I'll third, fourth, or fifth, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. Excellent game. I just picked up a nice compact flash adapter for my DS, so I've got loads of emulators on it too. :) There is a C64 emulator in the works right now too that uses the touch screen as a virtual keyboard. Can't wait for that.

Anyway, yeah, get Castlevania and Mario Kart.

sabrewolf732 said:
See if I asked for nintendogs I would just feel gay, along with the fact that whoever I ask for it from would highy question my sexual orientation. ROFL.

No no I disagree completely. Nobody would question your orientation after they play around with the game a little bit. TRUST ME - don't own a DS without Nintendogs.

steviep said:
No no I disagree completely. Nobody would question your orientation after they play around with the game a little bit. TRUST ME - don't own a DS without Nintendogs.

i own one without nintendogs... the game doesn't interesting me at all to be honest..i actually don't see why people love...

that said..

i don't want to try it.. not because i'm scared people will think i'm gay..

but because say i try it.. and i really like it.. then i'll be addicted

RancidWannaRiot addicted to video game = bad grades in school..

Get it for Christmas. That way, you can play it during the holidays. Believe me, I was in your same boat. But I bought the game for my girlfriend... and one day she gave me her DS and said "take care of my puppies" - and that was it, that's all it took. Get it ;)

I have a rather serious moral quandry with respect to Nintendogs. I mean it seems fun and those things are damn cute (from what I've seen at store displays) but it just feels wrong to me to develop that sort of emotional attachment to a piece of software. I mean, what happens if something goes wrong with the cart and your puppy more or less dies? I dunno it just seems like a gray area I want to steer clear of.

The Nintendogs don't grow old and die, luckily... and the cartridge is still the most sturdy and versatile medium... so it isn't going anywhere. Didn't you have a tamagotchi as a kid? lol

Maybe you're like me, and you're too old to have had one as a child... but this is like a tamagotchi on crack. The AI is ridiculously complex, and the puppies are about as real as it gets (the next best thing, if you can't own a real puppy for whatever reason). It's amazing that they pulled it off on the DS' power - including the pretty decent voice rec. That said, however, you could never get as attatched to a video game as you would to a real puppy. And real puppies really do die. The game is still a must-own for any DS owner.

No, I never had a tamagotchi. It's like a little electronic bundle of responsibility you carry around in your pocket. No thanks :p

Besides, I don't play games to develop a meaningful emotional attachment, I play games to BLOW SHIT UP

Slartibartfast said:
No, I never had a tamagotchi. It's like a little electronic bundle of responsibility you carry around in your pocket. No thanks :p

Besides, I don't play games to develop a meaningful emotional attachment, I play games to BLOW SHIT UP

That reminds me of a thing I heard once, "I don't wrestle, I BEAT BITCHES UP"

I bought Nintendogs when it came out, and I had a great time with it for a few weeks, but I haven't touched it in forever now. It's definitely fun to try out, but it's more of a 'pick up every once in awhile' game. Before I got Mario Kart yesterday I was playing Trauma Center, which is a really fun surgery mini-game, Castlevania which is a very PSX title, and I'm still playing around with Feel the Magic because it's so damn odd.
If you aren't interested in the offbeat games you may be a little disappointed with the DS. Pleny of niche action, not a good platform for sim-racing or sports.
But it's perfect for me :D

steviep said:
Get it for Christmas. That way, you can play it during the holidays. Believe me, I was in your same boat. But I bought the game for my girlfriend... and one day she gave me her DS and said "take care of my puppies" - and that was it, that's all it took. Get it ;)

Just the reverse for me. I bought the Nintendogs bundle, and my fiancee thought I was crazy. Now, she's been raising her own little puppy and I hardly have time for Rover anymore!

Mind you, my main goal is simply to unlock the Husky (I have a real-life Husky). I wish I could figure out how many trainer points to get there...none of the FAQs are specific to the Best Friends version I have.

RallyMK1 said:
Lol, I was only interested in the Husky too. Very smart dogs apparently.

My real Husky is incredibly smart. In the mornings I can simply say, in normal voice, "Okay, it's time to go" -- and she hops off the bed/couch/wherever and heads for her cage (one must always keep Huskies caged, for their own protection, whenever no one is home!). She's gotten into sealed Tupperware containers, eaten furniture varnish (okay, so that's not so smart), and plays with my stuffed Huskies like they're her own babies. (Yes, I have stuffed huskies, and yes, they're on my bed. Got a problem with that, punk? :mad: :D).

Overall, I'm quite surprised at how well Nintendogs replicates a real puppy, or a full-grown dog for that matter. My Husky acts in many of the same ways as the virtual pets do, and the other features of the game only add to the realism.

Now, I just need to go buy Mario Kart DS and I'll be all set. :)

When I was younger we had a really smart boxer. If you said "speak" she would bark at you, but then if you said "shh quiet" she would bark softer, and if you said "louder" she would bark louder. Never met another dog who could do that.

Back