Getting a new Verizon phone...

Bloodgod42

Gawd
and Im torn between the HTC Touch Pro 2, and the Droid Eris. They cost the same, and I do like the sleekness of the Eris, but if the HTC TP2 is that much better, I would gladly carry the extra bulk. I do like the physical keyboard, Im just unsure about WinMo6.5. Does anyone know if if will be upgradeable to WinMo7?

I also have the option of getting a Droid, however, thats $200 compared to the $80 for the others...

Thanks for any ideas...

Stay away from that TouchPro and the dated version of WinMo it comes with. Go Android and you'll never want anything else.

Droid with OS 2.1 is like butta! Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten ;)

Does anyone know if the Verizon Eris is getting 2.0/2.1 update? Or can I root it to 2.1?

My wife and friend got the Droid last weekend for $130 after MIR because we got them to price match with our local Best Buy. They were able to look up BBs price in store and match it on the spot, so that was much easier to swallow than $300 before the $100 MIR. Something to consider and maybe try if you want the Droid bad enough.. which you should, heh.

Other than that, between the two you were considering, I would go with the Android phone, i.e. the Eris. Even if it is going to be EOL next month, it's still a slick little phone and should (supposedly) be getting 2.1 eventually along with most other Android phones. I'm not sure how well Google will stick to that comment/rumor (I've read it in a few places, but never really cared or looked into it since I have a Droid anyways).

^ I'm that friend! But yea go with Android OS. Its way better than windows mobile IMO.

If your on Verizon then no question get the new Android Incredible coming out in two weeks. That will be their best phone hands down. It is pretty much 90% the same as the Nexus-One, but with the cool Sense-UI

Thank you everyone for your input. Seeing how the Incredible is coming out in a couple weeks, i think thats the one im gonna go with.

Can anyone tell me the biggest differences between the Droid and the Incredible besides slightly more power and no physical keyboard...?

Differences: HTC Sense UI, overall better hardware specs including processor, screen, camera, optical trackball, etc..

The Incredible is just an overall better phone than the DROID. Sort of like comparing an iPhone 1 to iPhone3GS, not giant leap in difference, but enough to be pretty noticeable.

The Sense-UI is really amazing, much better than stock Android 2.1 I have the Sense mod on my Nexus-One and totally love it.

He said it will have it. Flash 10.1 is coming this summer. The Flash support that the Droid Incredible will have when it launches will be Flash Lite 4.0.

Um, ok, so I might be a lil behind the curve here, but are you saying that the incredible will have "full" flash support in the future? Or is the "lite" version of flash a different thing all together? (You Tube? Hulu?)

Um, ok, so I might be a lil behind the curve here, but are you saying that the incredible will have "full" flash support in the future? Or is the "lite" version of flash a different thing all together? (You Tube? Hulu?)
Flash 10.1 is the full version and it's coming this summer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEgBV2QB4Q0

Flash Lite is a lite version. It can play embedded videos on sites like YouTube but you can't play games and use more advanced Flash things.

Another vote for the Droid from Amazon for $20. It is hands down the best bang for a new phone.

The Incredible is just an overall better phone than the DROID. Sort of like comparing an iPhone 1 to iPhone3GS, not giant leap in difference, but enough to be pretty noticeable.

1st-gen iPhone -> 3GS is much more noticeable than the Droid -> Nexus One. The Droid and Nexus One use very similar processor architectures (Snapdragon is a slightly different direction from the Cortex A8). But the processor in the original iPhone can't compete with the Cortex A8 in the 3GS and Milestone thanks to an older architecture and slower clock.

If the Nexus One is any indication, the Droid will have a "better" screen than the Incredible. The Nexus One uses a pretty bad AMOLED panel. The Droid has a better capacitive layer than the Nexus One for the purposes of multi-touch. The Droid's screen is better than the Nexus One's; don't let AMOLED fool you.

Last edited:
How many have really seen these 2 screens side by side though? I'm sick of hearing about this penile crap. For example, I have a friend that's spent time w/ my DROID and his N1. He likes the N1 better and he's pretty discerning. I don't even care, they both look fine to me.

I hate the aspect ratio of the Droid at 854x480. The screen is way too narrow. The Nexus One is better at 800x480 IMHO.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as the OP. Current Verizon customer, and the phone I've had for a few years is starting to crap out on me.

Should I wait for the Incredible or get a current Droid now? And if a current one, the Eris or the Motorolla? And since I'm a current customer, what's the cheapest way to get one of these phones? What I'm seeing on Amazon the lower prices are with new plans only.

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Current Verizon customer, and the phone I've had for a few years is starting to crap out on me.

Should I wait for the Incredible or get a current Droid now? And if a current one, the Eris or the Motorolla? And since I'm a current customer, what's the cheapest way to get one of these phones? What I'm seeing on Amazon the lower prices are with new plans only.

Thanks!

The Incredible no question. I think the Sense-UI is totally awesome bad ass. Everyone I show off my Nexus-One too just love it, and these are some pretty die hard iPhone guys like my older Brother who just jizzes on his iPhone says it is the best phone ever created.

Well I showed him my Nexus-One that is rooted with HTC Desire ROM, at Easter dinner and he was blown away by it, said the big clock and weather effects were crazy cool, and the live wallpapers really impressed him, he said for the first time ever will ditch his iPhone and get an Android phone this Summer. Most likely the EVO 4G for him.

The DROID is a cool phone, I just think the Incredible is a slightly better phone. And if your in the market for a new phone and haven't bought one since a year or more ago, get the Incredible, the sense-UI really is all that.

How many have really seen these 2 screens side by side though? I'm sick of hearing about this penile crap. For example, I have a friend that's spent time w/ my DROID and his N1. He likes the N1 better and he's pretty discerning. I don't even care, they both look fine to me.

Penile? Pentile.

It matters if you spend any amount of time in moderate to bright sunlight, and it matters significantly if you read lots of text.

If it's as bad as my Zune HD, then I could see where that would be an annoyance. I haven't spent enough time reading txt on the penile screen though. :/

Does anyone know if the Verizon Eris is getting 2.0/2.1 update? Or can I root it to 2.1?

Supposed to get the 2.1 update. I just rooted it and put my own on 2.1 on it. Works great. Somewhat faster than the 1.5 and has navigation. Seems to go through battery a little faster, but not the end of the world. Couple different ROMs to try if you're looking for more customization over at XDA.

if need a physical keyboard then get droid, otherwise n1 or incredible.
do not get anything besides android on verizon, you'll regret it.

and conversely, do not get anything Android on AT&T - equally regrettable. Loaded w bloatware and Yahoo as default search?? wtff?

Incredible looks pretty sweet. I'd definitely look at that if I needed a new phone.

incredible or droid. Nothing else on Verizon is worth being on Verizon.

The eris isn't too bad if you root it. Depends on how much you pay for it though. I wouldn't pay more than $150 now that the Incredible is being released.

Except that it's terribly slow compared to even the DROID when browsing. I gave up.

Except that it's terribly slow compared to even the DROID when browsing. I gave up.

Yeah, I might switch back to a Droid. The Droid didn't strike me as a speed demon browsing either. Maybe I'll just grab an incredible.

Back