Getting a new *used* system and not sure what to upgrade (if anything).

M0710NM4N

Weaksauce
My computer is 13 yrs old. An old but tough QX9650 (running stock), 6 GB of DDR2 with R9 390 and my monitor is about 6 yrs old and functions just fine which is a ViewSonic VA2349S 23" IPS 1080p.

Now recently a good friend decided to get a new computer and is going to hook me up with their Alienware Aurora R6 which I believe has the i7-7700k, 16 GB of DDR4 and a GTX 1080...

Wondering if I should think about upgrading my monitor or if I should just maybe invest that money in maybe either a RAM upgrade (thinking 32 GB) since I do a lot of graphic and video editing... or maybe hold out till Sept for when Ampere drops and pick up an RTX 3080.

What do you think?

That's a fairly nice system, not sure why you're itching to upgrade after coming off of a c.2007 system.

CPU: Only reason to upgrade would be if you really need more cores. In terms of IPC the current Intel CPUs aren't really any faster, and a bit of overclock will bring it close to frequency parity.

RAM: Might make sense to upgrade if you can confirm your image/video editing workflow can utilize it. No current game will really make use of more.

GPU: The GTX 1080 will tear up a 1080p display even with game graphics quality set to max. Don't touch unless you plan to upgrade to a 1440p+ and/or G-Sync/FreeSync display for gaming, and as you noted wait until Nvidia announces the next generation.

What is the new box's storage setup? If it doesn't already have a SSD for the system drive there's your upgrade.

If you've been video editing with 6gb, you don't need 32gb. That new system is balanced as is. No need to put money into it. I do think a new monitor might be in your interest, whether high refresh rate for gaming or 4k for productivity. Up to you.

That's a fairly nice system, not sure why you're itching to upgrade after coming off of a c.2007 system.

CPU: Only reason to upgrade would be if you really need more cores. In terms of IPC the current Intel CPUs aren't really any faster, and a bit of overclock will bring it close to frequency parity.

RAM: Might make sense to upgrade if you can confirm your image/video editing workflow can utilize it. No current game will really make use of more.

GPU: The GTX 1080 will tear up a 1080p display even with game graphics quality set to max. Don't touch unless you plan to upgrade to a 1440p+ and/or G-Sync/FreeSync display for gaming, and as you noted wait until Nvidia announces the next generation.

What is the new box's storage setup? If it doesn't already have a SSD for the system drive there's your upgrade.

I believe it has a 1 TB SSD and 2 TB non-SSD. And looking at specs for the system there is an m.2 connection which I'm not sure if that's what is installed or not. Will have to wait till it's in my hands so I can open it up and see what's in there. If there is no m.2 I may consider tossing one in there for the OS and primary apps. Then see what kind of SSD is in there because I may want to ditch that along with the non-SSD drive and just put in like 2 quality 500 GB SSD's.

As for the monitor... I don't know jack-all about monitors. I just figured the one I have is 7 yrs old, 23 inches and 1080p so maybe it's time I got a 1440p and bump up the size... like 27in or 32in. Again not knowing anything about monitors... I just have no clue what if any real benefit there might be to upgrading aside from a larger screen size. And then there are just so many darned monitors with so many darned different features... it's enough make my head spin.

I'll more than likely look into going 32 GB even if it might be overkill. My current 13 yr old system was limited to 8 GB and never could get it post with anymore than 6 GB and I guess dealing with that for some many years I just feel like while I got the extra cash, I should just go ahead an upgrade that now because who knows how long it might be till I can build a new system with all the latest highend tech. I can always sell off my current case and components to recoop some of that $. The only thing I can't sell is the mobo as it's been having issues with RAM slots.

If you've been video editing with 6gb, you don't need 32gb. That new system is balanced as is. No need to put money into it. I do think a new monitor might be in your interest, whether high refresh rate for gaming or 4k for productivity. Up to you.

Yea it's worked... but slow going and sluggish.

That looks like a big upgrade over your current rig, and is overall pretty balanced. I would say get the computer, start using it, and then figure out what parts you want to swap out.

Yea it's worked... but slow going and sluggish.
I think you will notice a huge improvement with the new system. Once you move your workflow over to it, monitor memory usage. If you hit 14GB regularly, throw in 32GB. If not, just use it.

Back