Getting a new system for gaming, video editing, photoshop, streaming, screencapture - Advice

Dunno7

n00b
Getting a new system for gaming, video editing, photoshop, streaming, screencapture. I need advice since I haven't been following computer tech for a while. I've done some googling before writing this. My monitor is 1080p and I plan to edit 4k video in the future. I have a habit of keeping open a few apps at a time and I quite a few tabs in chrome. I have creative Gigaworks T20 Series II speakers. I don't know they're worth bothering about quality sound. Do they still fare well? Windows 7 use only. No plans to install w10. Don't have any budget constraints but not willing to pay more than needed for small performance gains.

GPU > GTX 1070. The are lots of variants by the same brand out there. I'm just confused here. What's the difference? Which one should I buy?
CPU> Skylake Intel Core i5-6600K
RAM > DDR4 16GB (2*8GB) Patriot PV4 - 2666 mhz. Looks like the sweet spot after googling a lot. Correct me if I'm wrong
Motherboard > I need something with a good sound since onboard solutions are good enough these days. I don't think my speakers are worth something better or are they? Voice recording mostly. Let's say Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7. Is this onboard sound is really any better than the rest? Or I can buy something cheaper?
Storage > 500gb SSD samsung ssd 850 evo. Looks like the best among the SSDs. (I've got 4 Tb HDD WD Black FZEX. And 2 old seagate barracudas from circa 2006, 320 gb each. So I'm covered for space)
Case > Could you recommend something that's not wider that 21.7 cm seeing as this is the width limit of my desk section for a chassis.
Power supply > I've got one that bought back in 2011 / 12 - Corsair gs 700 according to some capability site it still can handle my new rig. Will it?

Addressing your questions in order:

GPU > GTX 1070. The are lots of variants by the same brand out there. I'm just confused here. What's the difference? Which one should I buy?
Functionally, most of the 1070 cards will be pretty similar, with very slight variations on the clock speeds, cooling solution, and overclocking capability. Incredibly rare will be the situation where the differences between the different models determines whether a game is playable or not. Unless you have the utmost performance demands (in which case, you should be looking at the 1080) then I wouldn't worry about it and just find a 1070 that fits your budget and design requirements. Some of them are even designed for mini-ITX setups.

RAM > DDR4 16GB (2*8GB) Patriot PV4 - 2666 mhz. Looks like the sweet spot after googling a lot. Correct me if I'm wrong
I'm not personally a huge fan of Patriot branded memory, but 2666 MHz is fine, and 16 GB is a good number to go for.

Let's say Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7. Is this onboard sound is really any better than the rest?
Not really. Until you get into audiophile land, I think of soundcards as "fail" or "pass" - they're either total garbage, or they're fine. Any of the Gigabyte Z170 line sound cards are fine. The whole line about dedicated sound hardware to remove load from the CPU is a bunch of bullshit, since sound processing takes less than 2% of the CPU time on any modern system.
With that said, there's not a *huge* price difference between that board and many other Z170 boards, but feel free to drop down to the Gaming 6 if the only reason you picked the 7 was for the fancier soundcard.

Case > Could you recommend something that's not wider that 21.7 cm
Cases are almost entirely subjective- my styling preferences might not line up with yours. That said, your 21.7cm requirement is somewhat strict, and rules out many cases like my go-to Antec 302 and Fractal Design cases. The Corsair 200R and 300R are still available and fits in that width requirement, but my personal case preferences run towards the inexpensive and unobtrusive, which may or may not line up with yours.

Power supply > I've got one that bought back in 2011 / 12 - Corsair gs 700 according to some capability site it still can handle my new rig. Will it?
Should be fine assuming it's in good working order.

Addressing your questions in order:

Functionally, most of the 1070 cards will be pretty similar, with very slight variations on the clock speeds, cooling solution, and overclocking capability. Incredibly rare will be the situation where the differences between the different models determines whether a game is playable or not. Unless you have the utmost performance demands (in which case, you should be looking at the 1080) then I wouldn't worry about it and just find a 1070 that fits your budget and design requirements. Some of them are even designed for mini-ITX setups.

I'm not personally a huge fan of Patriot branded memory, but 2666 MHz is fine, and 16 GB is a good number to go for.

Not really. Until you get into audiophile land, I think of soundcards as "fail" or "pass" - they're either total garbage, or they're fine. Any of the Gigabyte Z170 line sound cards are fine. The whole line about dedicated sound hardware to remove load from the CPU is a bunch of bullshit, since sound processing takes less than 2% of the CPU time on any modern system.
With that said, there's not a *huge* price difference between that board and many other Z170 boards, but feel free to drop down to the Gaming 6 if the only reason you picked the 7 was for the fancier soundcard.

Cases are almost entirely subjective- my styling preferences might not line up with yours. That said, your 21.7cm requirement is somewhat strict, and rules out many cases like my go-to Antec 302 and Fractal Design cases. The Corsair 200R and 300R are still available and fits in that width requirement, but my personal case preferences run towards the inexpensive and unobtrusive, which may or may not line up with yours.

Should be fine assuming it's in good working order.

Whose memory do you recommend?

The whole line about dedicated sound hardware to remove load from the CPU is a bunch of bullshit, since sound processing takes less than 2% of the CPU time on any modern system.
I think that was busllhit back in 2007 when I still followed tech

Ok Gigabyte integrated solution seem to be the best

As for cases. I don't care at all. Just the width requirement and usb 2.0 3.0 and 3.1 on the front. That;s all I need

This power supply runs fine on my current build. I'm not having any issues. Unless I have to run some tests or something to make sure it's good working order

Last edited:
I think you'll be fine on the power supply.

I'm a fan of Corsair and Crucial memory, and Kingston's HyperX line isn't bad either.

Most cases don't have USB 3.1 on the front yet - it's 3.0 generally. 3.1 hasn't quite entered mainstream yet.

I think you'll be fine on the power supply.

I'm a fan of Corsair and Crucial memory, and Kingston's HyperX line isn't bad either.

Most cases don't have USB 3.1 on the front yet - it's 3.0 generally. 3.1 hasn't quite entered mainstream yet.

Yeah I'll go for Corsair. It's even the cheapest in the country I currently reside. Probably even 3000 mhz cos the difference is 2 dollars

Just make sure when you get the system assembled that you go into the BIOS and enable the XMP profile, otherwise the memory won't run higher than 2133.

Back