Getting a new router for a friend. Need some suggestions.

Godmachine

[H]F Junkie
Ok so my friend has a fairly large apartment and he has a lot of wireless devices to stream to and two HTPC's so I'm thinking a robust router with the new AC standard so he's a bit future proofed.

Which AC router would you recommend? Also I'm not really interested in building a linux firewall /router box so something premade and easy to setup in a small frame of time as I will be bringing this new router with me as a surprise.

I've always been a fan of Netgear but I've heard their new , more powerful routers are full of firmware problems.

Is this true?

I also recommend the Asus. I don't have the new AC, but I have basically the same model without that feature and I love it.

does he need a new router or just better wireless?

Both honestly. He's using the Actiontec router Verizon provides which sucks ass and is too complex for him to deal with. Not to mention it has a very weak 802.11N radio that only gives one bar on the other side of his apartment.

He also moves a lot of traffic between his HTPC's so speed is key.

I have an ASUS N66U Dark Knight. I dunno if the AC model is as solid, but as far as the N model goes.

Two words:

DAMN AWESOME

Especially with that Merlin firmware.

Is the AC standard even set? And is he willing to replace everything with AC to take advantage of it? I'm on the fence about future proofing vs. risking a standards revision. Its just that $180 on Amazon seems a bit steep.

Back