Getting a "Kit" for my Xeons. Any opinions?

El Nacho

Noobie Cheese
I have dual xeon setup on a pc-dl deluxe. IIRC there are only a few water blocks that will fit that board. I was going to piece my own together, but this seems a bit cheaper. I dont need extream cooling, just need it to be as least as good as stock cooling. I just want to get rid of the noise.

This is my first choice

http://www.swiftnets.com/store/product_details.asp?ProdID=325
$274

Should be slient, though Im worried about fitting dual 120's

Second choice

http://www.swiftnets.com/store/product_details.asp?ProdID=323
$315

Bad performance from the dual rads?
Loud?
Unsure of pump

Last choice
http://www.swiftnets.com/store/product_details.asp?ProdID=355
$285

Enough cooling from a single rad?
Finding a good way to fit it.

any ideas or coments would be apreciated.

tbh, none of those lol.

The first one has a problem that the mcp650 is not exactly a quiet pump. A dual 120mm radiator is definitely what you want though.

The second one has two 80mm radiators which tbh is worse than one 120mm rad (144cm sq as opposed to 128cm sq) not to mention that they would be friggin noisy. So that outweighs the fact that the kit actually uses a quiet pump.

The third kit only uses one 120mm and seems to have no pump, and the waterblocks have the wrong fittings.

I would try to customize a kit from either swiftech or DD. The BIP 2 is only 38$ at dangerden right now, a nice dbl radiator for a great price. I would get either a Laing DDC (mcp350) or Laing D5 (mcp655) as your pump, preferable the 655/D5. Then your choice of two waterblocks.

I have an NCCH-DL, which has similar spacing to your PC-DL, and the TDX for sure will fit.

I'm trying to keep cost kinda low....around 300 for everything. I'm not sure if thats really possible with putting together my own. I priced one out a while ago, and ended up with more than these kits cost. I'll give it a go again

I'm going to need....

2 x WB
radiator
resevoir
pump
?? feet of hose
?? clamps

As for the coments...

Erasmus354: How loud is loud? (on the pump)
The second one, the noise of two fans was my only concern....
The thir one uses a resevoir with a pump built it. Not sure which one. Why do you say the fittings are wrong?

Vertigo Acid: I'll look into those.

Well the D4 is notorious for producing a not necessarily very loud noise, but a high pitched whine that many people find annoying. Some people claim their D4s are silent so I guess it is up in the air. Either way the D5 is definitely quieter, and has an adjustable flow meter to boot and at the same price why not?

As to the third kit, it said the blocks were for opterons, you said you had xenons.

DD option :

BIP2, 1x TDX/D5 combo, 1x TDX = 40 + 110 + 55 = 205

Swiftech option :

BIP2, 2x MCW 6002, 1x (mcp350/mcp655/AQX50Z/mcp650) = 40 + 90 + 75 = 205

So both come out to 205, add in say 50$ for tubing clamps fans, maybe a little more if you want a [resevoir] and you come out to maybe 275$ tops, and this is for a custom setup.

[] - Edit, stupid me put radiator instead of resevoir

Thanks for that info. That one kit has clips for both operons and xeons. I'm going to check out that stuff and post back.

Ok, i'm going with the DD setup from above. I do have few questions.

1: 1/2 or 3/8 OD?

2: How many feet of hose?

3: What other "little" item would a first time buyer forget to get? (IE: clamps, additives, etc)

Thanks for your help guys

I'm a half-inch guy but I might be swayed by Cathar to go 7/16" next build I do. Basically, in terms of real world performance, there will be little difference. However, if you still plan to get the D5, get 1/2"; that's what it nativly supports. 3/8" is deffinetly easier to route, however

either get 7/16" tubing or 3/8" tubing, with a dual cpu system it will be too hard to route 1/2" tubing.

I would say get around 7 feet of tubing, perhaps a bit more or less. Its always good to have extra in case you decide to redo something later or add a new block to the loop.

Erasmus354 said:
With a dual cpu system it will be too hard to route 1/2" tubing.
First hand experience tells me that if you have more than a room-temperature IQ and have any common sense, that you shouldn't have a problem :rolleyes:
I have GPU, Chipset, 2x TDXs, D5, and a 120.3, and even used to have a bay-res, and I've never had an issue routing tubing. Granted, I have a big case (PC-75b), but still it's *not* that hard, especially if you decided to use Ys on the CPUs. If you want to go 1/2" don't let routing issues stop you, just make sure to get some tygon or other bendable stuff. It was a bitch when I had just some shitty vinyl from the hardware store, I'll give you that :p

Back