getting a dvd burner

Cigolon

Gawd
well. my birthday is comming up and i get to get a dvd burner. don't really know much about them, so i figured i'd make a quick little post. curious about personal experience with brands, anything that might make me want to steer towards or away from a certain type. wondering if there are any features that i should look for in whatever burners i look at.
thanks.

Yes, if you can, you should wait a couple weeks for DVD writers that can burn on dual-layer DVD-9 media. No burners currently available have this feature, but it's worth waiting for because it increases the storage capacity from 4.7 GB to 8.4 GB. Also, many of the dual-layer burners announced will feature 16x writing on single-layer DVD-R or DVD+R media. Compare this to the current high of 8x, and you'll see why these burners will be worth the wait.

If dual layer burners cost 3 or 4 times the price of current 8x dvd burners ($85), is that worth it? Who knows how much the dual layer discs will cost. I'll wait for second generation dual layer burners.

I just picked up an 8x NEC 2500A for $85, and a 25 pack of 4x discs (that burn at 6x speed) for $19. Free shipping (from newegg of course). I'm happy with it :)

You should also consider that the media for DVD burners cost a bit more than regular CD-Rs as well. I have found a brand that I have no problems with and I stay with that one brand. Have tried others and some work as good, as I have 20 printable DVD's here from a friend that aren't worth a shit. Guess you get what you pay for and my friend bought these funky ones for something like $37.00 for a 100. Ouch...

Anyway, good luck with your birthday gift. I have two different burners and both work fine. Love backing up my DVD's...

Back