Getting a 360. Can I put my own hard drive in? Which games to buy?

johnnq

[H]ard|Gawd
after doing lots and lots of reading, i'm going with the 360. the wii can't be found anywhere and only a few ps3 games interest me.

so, can i put my own 250gb samsung in without voiding the warranty? how do they get installed? does it have to be in an external shell (then stuck inside??)

in hopes of getting a falcon, i'll be looking for: team FDOU, manufactured after august 28?, and something higher than lot 734. and once i get it i'll look for a 175w power brick, two copper rings and no heatpipe by looking through the fans, and a benq drive.

so now, lets pretend i didn't get that falcon revision that i wanted. i could possibly return it depending on store policy or just keep it. if i keep it, should i get an extended store warranty? from what i read on the internet, people get refurb consoles back from microsoft and they break over and over. how much money is "worth" spending on an extended warranty?

what are the difference between the premium and the elite? the elite comes with a bigger hard drive, the hdmi cable, and a different color scheme...is that it? how much does that hdmi cable cost on it's own? does it have to be a microsoft 360 hdmi cable? yea i'm a little out of the loop...

what games should i get?! (besides halo)

after doing lots and lots of reading, i'm going with the 360. the wii can't be found anywhere and only a few ps3 games interest me.

so, can i put my own 250gb samsung in without voiding the warranty? how do they get installed? does it have to be in an external shell (then stuck inside??)

No. Stuck with the specific xbox 360 hard drives.

so now, lets pretend i didn't get that falcon revision that i wanted. i could possibly return it depending on store policy or just keep it. if i keep it, should i get an extended store warranty? from what i read on the internet, people get refurb consoles back from microsoft and they break over and over. how much money is "worth" spending on an extended warranty?

No need for an extended warranty (maybe if you have little kids tossing this thing around). Microsoft warranties the console for three years from manufacture date for only the 3 red lights though. Plus, red rings are a lot less common now and days.

what are the difference between the premium and the elite? the elite comes with a bigger hard drive, the hdmi cable, and a different color scheme...is that it? how much does that hdmi cable cost on it's own? does it have to be a microsoft 360 hdmi cable? yea i'm a little out of the loop...

You pretty much got all the differences right there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Comparison_of_features
monoprice.com for cheap cables.

what games should i get?! (besides halo)

CoD4, Gears, Mass Effect, Bioshock, The Darkness, Crackdown, Condemned, etc. etc.

"does it have to be a microsoft 360 hdmi cable?"

No, any HDMI cable will work.

But if you want an optical sound connection you need the audio dongle which come with the MS HDMI cables or the elite model. Or you can just remove the plastic casing on the included component cables like so:http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

great games for 360

saints row, cod4(best game right now to me), bioshock, gears of war, oblivion(if you haven't experienced it yet), halo3( for MP), and my personal favorite game for 360 crackdown.

Back