Getting 110-113 MB/s on desktops, only 85-90ish on laptop?

rpeters83

Gawd
I'm just curious as to why this is. I have three PCs, all on the same switch. Two are desktop, one is a laptop. All connected via gigabit. When I transfer a file, it'll go about 110-113MB/s between the desktops, but when it's being sent to the laptop, it caps at around high 80's to low 90 MB/s.

Why is that? Something to do with the interface on the laptop for the NIC? Both the desktops are onboard NICs. Thanks.

Maybe 4200 rpm laptop drive making it slow? Desktops have ssd's?

Maybe AV on laptop is scanning, or just differences in the NICs. Extra interference on cable to laptop?

^ I agree look at av and maybe try swapping cables/ports.
drivers up to date? you could check the nic properties in device manager and make sure everything is matched.

Probably the limit of the laptop NIC...Unless you used to get higher speeds and now you don't.

I noticed when transferring some files yesterday that the first ~1gb file it transferred went at about 10mb/sec slower than the 2nd ~2gb file I transferred. But I imagine you've tested with multiple and/or the same files to rule this out?

Not all NICs are created equal and I'd imagine the NIC in the laptop is one of the weaker variety.

What NICs are in the desktops?
What NIC is in the laptop?

Not all NICs are created equal and I'd imagine the NIC in the laptop is one of the weaker variety.

What NICs are in the desktops?
What NIC is in the laptop?
This is spot on. Look at what brands and models of NICs you have in the computers and you'll probably find the reason there. But of course if you have a wonky cable that can also be the culprit.

Back