Get YouTube's Slick New Design Right Now

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Those of you who tried that dark mode tweak reported earlier have already seen this, but it looks like Google is finally allowing it to stick. If you hit this link, you can opt in for the new YouTube UI, which looks a lot slicker to my eyes. Those of you who are allergic to mobile-inspired designs may not like it, however.

We’re applying Material Design to YouTube to deliver a beautiful, delightful and intuitive user experience. The site design is built on a new, faster framework named Polymer, which enables quicker feature development from here on out. And today, we are introducing one of the first new features developed on Polymer: Dark Theme. Developed to cut down on glare and let you take in the true colors of the videos you watch, Dark Theme turns your background dark throughout your entire YouTube experience. This is only the beginning -- you can look forward to more powerful new features coming soon!

This does not work for me, and it didn't work last time this came around with a console input.

This does not work for me, and it didn't work last time this came around with a console input.
Worked perfectly for me.

After clicking through the "new" link, I pulled down the menu on your account icon at the top right and it was there for me.

Not sure but i think people with multiple accounts under 1 log-in have troubles with this.

Last edited:
This preview is closed... for now

Thanks for your interest in helping us with the new desktop design! We've got a ton of feedback we're reading through, so we've closed the opt-in.

Be sure to come back to youtube.com/new for other opportunities to try out new products we're working on.

Why can't Google put a button that switches to and fro two colors: white and dark and leave at that? Isn't that hard? That's for who don't want to sign in.

I'm having the same issue, sort of. I no longer have night mode. I actually had it for a while along with a slightly different look to my youtube homepage layout, and then everyone started stalking about this new night mode and I lost it. I've tried multiple ways of turning it back on but I just don't have the button now.

"Hey look everybody! We flattened out the colors and added a bunch more padding to our website! Tell us what you think!"

I noticed YouTube also rolled out YouTube Gaming, which has a dark theme by default (for me at least). Ironically, the mobile site didn't work in the Chrome browser. It was all sorts of f-ed up UI wise.

The dark theme is good, but apparently as soon as I choose an actual video to look at it disabled everything. As usual huge amounts of usable space are wasted, all the old and purposeful function are hidden behinds more clicks than previously needed, and I can't cut down on loading time (which is important on mobile shit with slower processorss) by disabling the sidebar or comments. yay

The new UI is much nicer, IMO. It looks cleaner, and the theatre mode now uses up a lot more of the screen, like I wanted it to before. I would like a colour theme that is between the light and the dark themes.

The HardOCP TV logo is really nice, who ever did it get an A+.

Why can't Google put a button that switches to and fro two colors: white and dark and leave at that? Isn't that hard? That's for who don't want to sign in.

I clicked my account icon in youtube up the top right (firefox), clicked the slider for Dark theme, :)

I'm probably the only one. But I don't like the dark theme. It makes everything feel more cramped. Even if it's not. And the bright thumbnails and text on the black background hurts my eyes more, than when it's all on a white background. Even H is not completely black, but in the grey area. Youtube went 0.0.0 color for the background and 255.255.255 for everything else, it burns my eyes.

My background went from white to black. Brilliant !

Back