Get Your Mullvad VPN On

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Give our brothers at Mullvad some love! The company came on yesterday as a new sponsor for HardOCP and HardForum, so if you are looking to get your VPN on, give these guys a look as its services have held up with tests by our readers. It's "Only €5/month." What is a €? We still don't know, but it one € is about US$1.09. And yeah, "Mullvad" is Swedish for mole. Don't feel bad, we had to look that up too.

mullvad.png

World-class, online privacy - Mullvad is a VPN service that helps keep your online activity, identity, and location private.

It works very good and seems pretty quick. I will keep their service.

seems neat, is that a solid price forever? how is the quality with:
a. watching videos on netflix/hulu/youtube etc
b. utorrenting linux distributions
c. gaming

c. gaming
You can get a free three hour account to try out at their site.

Kyle I been kind of backburning it but this is so cheap its like why not. I'm at work just curious if anyone notices performance issues? Any services you ignore on a non-corporate vpn? I'm always weary of banking etc. Do they take paypal?

also is there an advertising referral I can give for signing up to give hardocp credit?

Anyone else have a PureVPN subscription that also has tried these guys? I bought a lifetime sub to PureVPN for 80$ and just wondering if these guys wouldnt be a good back up choice.

I still need to understand this VPN business. Last time I had one a long time ago my speeds were capped to their servers which was like 1/4 my regular speeds. What is my download limit with these guys?

c. gaming

Streaming videos is a bandwidth thing, they should do fine with that, however keep in mind Netflix blocks ALL VPNs.

They do not throttle bittorrent.

Gaming through a VPN is not the best idea, on any VPN, you will always add latency to the connection.

Kyle I been kind of backburning it but this is so cheap its like why not. I'm at work just curious if anyone notices performance issues? Any services you ignore on a non-corporate vpn? I'm always weary of banking etc. Do they take paypal?

also is there an advertising referral I can give for signing up to give hardocp credit?
No kickbacks, but if they ads perform well here and get clicks, we will likely keep going on next month. :)

I still need to understand this VPN business. Last time I had one a long time ago my speeds were capped to their servers which was like 1/4 my regular speeds. What is my download limit with these guys?
I cant say to these guys but i know with Private Internet Access I get my full 170mb/s download speeds but uploads only go around 60mb/s. It all depends on the provider but I think from the testing thread on this forum for these guys speeds seemed to be OK.

Speeds are not throttled for users, however by default it will use a Swedish server, so if testing performance please keep that in mind and switch to a server closer to you for higher performance.
Also keep in mind that how you test might give different results, i,e single-threaded downloads vs torrent traffic.
Torrent traffic will often perform quite a bit better than speedtest/fast.com and similar sites, and even more so if using a server that is located further away.

I was checking them out yesterday, great price. I'm at work right now so maybe I'll try the three free hours on my laptop.

Mullvad is the best if not one of imo. Used em for years.

Caveat though - I would not rely on it to get past CIAisisfaggots and NSApedos (who do practically nothing to protect you) if you want total anon; use burner plus public Wi-Fi e.g leaking national secrets that hurt the pedo elite level stuff.

Since Mullvad has a server based in Singapore, and assuming I live in Asia, my traffic will no longer need tunnel all the way to Sweden?

Looking to get around dumb ISP throttling for certain kinds of traffic. Sometimes this is my connection to game servers here in Asia (I don't mind an additional few ms in latency since the other alternative is to get throttled and not play at all), other times it could be twitch.tv.

Either way, I'll probably get around to try it in the next few weeks..

Signed up..so far my speeds arent to slow and I'm liking the service.

Back