get win7 to stop scanning movie files?

unknown00

n00b
so i put all my movies into one big folder. so the folder would have a bunch of movie files usually .avi. when i go to the folder via windows explorer, windows explorer like "scans" the folder and each file. when it does this, windows explorer freezes up and i can't access any file in that folder until it finishes scanning. scanning takes a really long time. how do i know its scanning? well up in the address bar (C:\), it starts going left to right with green progress bar. what is it scanning for? i dunno

anyways, how do i get rid of that? i want to just be able to go to a folder and pick a movie i want to watch

It's probably scanning to replace the default WMP icon with a snapshot of the movies themselves. But I don't know how to stop it from doing that though. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Are your files grouped? This could cause the scanning effect you're experiencing. Another possibility, if you're using details view, is that Explorer is gathering metadata to display.

I definitely think this has to do with thumbnail generation. Unfortunately you can't disable it for just one folder. I personally like it on.

disabled thumbnail preview - did NOT fix

also, doesn't matter what view i have it in (usually have it in detailed), same problem

What is the folder's sort method? If you're sorting by date, for instance, Windows will take some measure of time to calculate the sort (for what reason I don't know -- this wasn't an issue with XP).

Have you tried Win7's optimize feature?

Go to folder properties > customize tab >

Optimize for: General Items
check apply to subfolders
Apply

I'll bet you this works.

The solution mentioned in this thread might help (the answer provided by Daniel Martin):

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...i/thread/551eed27-6aaa-4ee2-8ab7-e843ae103c50

You end up going into the Registry and deleting the property handlers for specific file extensions, and the effect is that Windows simply doesn't scan the files anymore. Downside is you'll lose any potential metadata during the scan that would show up in thumbnails, in Explorer, etc.

But it seems to be a way to get Windows not to get hung up on specific file types, definitely.

Why don't you put the folder mode into "details" mode instead of tile or thumbnail? In addition, you may want to make sure the folder wasn't added to the actual Media Player library.

just make sure you're in 'list' view and not details etc under view settings

Back