Get SimCity 2000 Free On Origin

Now can I be bothered to open yet another account that I will never use again....

Nope.

I really hate EA. I really hate Origin. But I really love the SimCity games. I really love free.

Damn you EA!!

As much as I love Sim City 2000, no way in hell am I signing up for Origin just to get it. Besides, I already own the original on CD.

That was early 90s.

Sure it was fun at the time, but I'm not going to load DOS on my game rig either. If anything, games like this should be made available online via flash or something.

Seriously what's all the hate for Origin about it's no worse than Steam or Uplay.

Got rid of my original a loooong time ago, but I did get it again on GOG...ah sweet sweet no DRM. :)

That was early 90s.

Sure it was fun at the time, but I'm not going to load DOS on my game rig either. If anything, games like this should be made available online via flash or something.

It loads via DosBox automatically :p

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I appreciate your diligence making sure we're aware of what we can get for free.
That being said, I boycott EA and Origin, EA has screwed me over enough with overpriced, unfinished, half assed games I just cannot in good conscious buy from them anymore and refuse to take even their "free" games if means Origin has to go onto my PC.

Wow, that game is really old! o_O I already have Origin because of The Sims 2/3 and free Bejeweled 3 so for the people that were alive when the game was popular, is it any good? Should I try it or is it just old stuff that isn't as good as modern SimCity?

I don't understand all the hate for Origin, other than people hopping on the hating EA bandwagon. Most of the Origin games I have are free from their On the House program, and there is really no downside.

That was early 90s.

Are you seriously complaining about the format they are offering you a free game in?

I don't understand all the hate for Origin, other than people hopping on the hating EA bandwagon. Most of the Origin games I have are free from their On the House program, and there is really no downside.

Well, there is the whole hating EA thing for good reason.

I actually can't remember why, but there was some really good reason why Origin sucked when it first launched, which made using it seem like a bad idea. I haven't even thought about it since, so I can't remember what it was.

For me, the prime motivation is, I don't want different systems for different titles. it just becomes a jumbled mess. I want all of my titles available through the same interface in the same menu system.

We had this for a while with Steam, before the competition launched their own, and it was a beautiful thing.

I'm at the point right now, where if it's not in steam, I simply won't play it. I don't want to have to deal with multiple formats, multiple interfaces, multiple sites for my games.

I feel the same way about music and movies. I want it all through the same unified interface. If I have to sign up for one service to listen to one song, and a different service to listen to another, I'm just going to pick the one that works best for me, and just not listen to anything that's not on it.

The interface/service fragmentation needs to improve, not get worse.

Single unified interface for everything, or die.

Wow, that game is really old! o_O I already have Origin because of The Sims 2/3 and free Bejeweled 3 so for the people that were alive when the game was popular, is it any good? Should I try it or is it just old stuff that isn't as good as modern SimCity?

It's a good game but it shows its age quite dramatically. I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone who's used to playing only modern games because, quite frankly, it lacks a lot of the quality-of-life improvements that have been made since then. I posted about it on the PC gaming section of the forum because it's a fun little trip down memory lane, but if I'm honest I'd say Sim City 4 is superior in essentially every way. That being said, Sim City 4 isn't the one that's free :p It's an incredibly small download, so give it a shot.

Zarathustra[H];1041285707 said:
Well, there is the whole hating EA thing for good reason.

I actually can't remember why, but there was some really good reason why Origin sucked when it first launched, which made using it seem like a bad idea. I haven't even thought about it since, so I can't remember what it was.

For me, the prime motivation is, I don't want different systems for different titles. it just becomes a jumbled mess. I want all of my titles available through the same interface in the same menu system.

We had this for a while with Steam, before the competition launched their own, and it was a beautiful thing.

I'm at the point right now, where if it's not in steam, I simply won't play it. I don't want to have to deal with multiple formats, multiple interfaces, multiple sites for my games.

I feel the same way about music and movies. I want it all through the same unified interface. If I have to sign up for one service to listen to one song, and a different service to listen to another, I'm just going to pick the one that works best for me, and just not listen to anything that's not on it.

The interface/service fragmentation needs to improve, not get worse.

Single unified interface for everything, or die.

Let me guess, you still use MySpace, since you refuse to change to a different interface/service? :D

It's a good game but it shows its age quite dramatically. I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone who's used to playing only modern games because, quite frankly, it lacks a lot of the quality-of-life improvements that have been made since then. I posted about it on the PC gaming section of the forum because it's a fun little trip down memory lane, but if I'm honest I'd say Sim City 4 is superior in essentially every way. That being said, Sim City 4 isn't the one that's free :p It's an incredibly small download, so give it a shot.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll give it a try and see if I like it. Who can argue with free, after all. :)

20 years later, archaic laws that govern software still say EA owns the right to this game. *sigh*

No thanks, I still have the copy I saved onto my hard drive 20 years ago. Still have the game disks (2 1.44MB floppies) buried in a box somewhere.

Hooray for no stupid copy protection, it makes playing my older games as easy as firing up DosBox :D

The irony here is that EA is giving away the better version of Sim City for free and they don't even realize it.

Thank you for the heads up. Lol to the PC Master race whining about this and that. Oh, and good luck getting support from steam. :rolleyes:

No thanks, I still have the copy I saved onto my hard drive 20 years ago. Still have the game disks (2 1.44MB floppies) buried in a box somewhere.

Hooray for no stupid copy protection, it makes playing my older games as easy as firing up DosBox :D

Yeah, except a lot of old dos games had more difficult copy protection. But hey, rose colored glasses and all.

Good luck using those floppies today.

Those things have probably degraded and are full of bad sectors.

The irony here is that EA is giving away the better version of Sim City for free and they don't even realize it.

Not really. Arguably, SimCity 4 is better than SimCity 2014, but SimCity 2000 is way worse than either of those.

1pHMxq3.png

I guess using Origin was supposed to make me want to buy games. It's not working. I do like the freebies though. Steam, otoh, is my digital distribution crack.

Reticulating splines....

Wow this game brings back some memories. I remember buying it at radio shack (of all places). Haven't played it in years, and don't really want to now, but I do remember spending some serious time with this game back in the day on my 486.

Origin's not so bad, and they give away games but they are usually old. I got Wing Commander 3 for free a couple months ago... was nostalgic to fire it up and be amazed how horrible it was, that was my main game back in 95.

Now if you wish to discuss suckage, let's talk about Uplay...popups, crashes, all manor of bullshite.

Back