get rid of damaged areas

Wesley1357

Limp Gawd
do u guys remember when in dos you could fix a damaged harddrive by using chkdsk to create files that would ocupied harddrive damaged areas and the result was damaged areas would be ocupied then you would lose those areas, and have less disc space, but drive could be used as normal showing up only the good undamaged areas. can this be done on windows? all i get are options to "repair" damaged areas, i don't want to repair them just put them aside... anyone can help?

Most of the time those apps dont actually 'repair' anything, they add the bad sectors to the drives growing list of defects and it remembers not to access them in the future.

Part of the beauty of ntfs is hot fixing. Otherwise just check 'automatically fix filesystem errors' and 'scan for and attempt recevery of bad sectors' and restart the system. iirc you can also give chkdsk the /r parameter at the command line to do the same thing.

Generally when a drive starts to show bad sectors it is a sign that the whole thing isn't too far from failing... if the drive were operating within parameters it wouldn't end up with bad areas to begin with. I'd get what data you could off of the drive and replace it ASAP.

Back