Get Ready Southern Islands Coming This Yr.

Lord_Exodia

Supreme [H]ardness
Vr-Zone is reporting that Southern Islands 28nm GPU's are officially confirmed for Q4 this year. We should have them out within the next 60 Days

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-s-next-gen-gpus-to-ship-in-2011/13829.html
At their last conference call for Q2 2011, AMD revealed that 28nm GPUs were on track for 2011. Moving forward to the Q3 2011 financial report, AMD still plans plans to ship for revenue the first next-gen GPUs by the end of the year.

Read more: http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-s-next-gen-gpus-to-ship-in-2011/13829.html#ixzz1c5c2fhm0

Yep, and the post is still ambiguous enough for it to be laptop parts. I really don't see why people are expecting the HD7 series desktop cards this year.

They are releasing the parts to manufacturers this year. No way we'll get our hands on them until next year.

why? are you worried that it will perform better in some, worse in others, and use more power then the 6xxx cards?

I'm not "worried" about anything. I just want to see some performance numbers... :confused:

I just upgraded anyway so I have nothing invested.

It doesnt take very long for manufacturers to churn out a reference design card once they have the gpus in inventory.

AMD and Nvidia pretty much do all the grunt work in advance to get their product out as fast as possible.

I'm betting we will see 78XX reference design cards in January with 79XX following in February.

I would bet that this will be like the last release.

Middle range first, then about 14 total 7950 and 7970s each and nothing again until a month later.

A total of 9 7990 for all of North America for the first 6 months, then a few on eBay for $1000 and then about October of 2012 we'll see more than anyone could want, just before the release of the 8000 series.:rolleyes:

All that and the partners STILL won't include a proper LONG Crossfire bridge.

I'll still take two though, please.;)

As much of an exaggeration as that post is, this is indeed likely to happen. Poor yields will make getting hold of these cards difficult for some time.

Middle range first, then about 14 total 7950 and 7970s each and nothing again until a month later.

A total of 9 7990 for all of North America for the first 6 months, then a few on eBay for $1000 and then about October of 2012 we'll see more than anyone could want, just before the release of the 8000 series.:rolleyes:

Hyperbole aside, that's probably pretty accurate... :p.

As much of an exaggeration as that post is, this is indeed likely to happen. Poor yields will make getting hold of these cards difficult for some time.

I agree, on top of this though, don't anyone expect a $370 7970 :p With very limited supplies and very high demand I'm gonna say that $499.99 msrp is a minimum.

Hyperbole aside, that's probably pretty accurate... :p.

Yeah.....it makes me crazy.....I keep telling myself it's only marginally better than what I have.....over and over......and that I need to buy food......but I still go nuts trying to be first out of the gate to own two brandy-new HD whatevers.......

damn hobby.:eek:

I agree, on top of this though, don't anyone expect a $370 7970 :p With very limited supplies and very high demand I'm gonna say that $499.99 msrp is a minimum.

yeah I'm anticipating $450 official, maybe $500-$550 due to short supply at first.

Magoo: Unless you want three cards, two of the new gen won't be much better than three of this gen, and since the HD7990 won't be out that early, you won't see much of an upgrade unless you get three of the new cards.

yeah I'm anticipating $450 official, maybe $500-$550 due to short supply at first.

Magoo: Unless you want three cards, two of the new gen won't be much better than three of this gen, and since the HD7990 won't be out that early, you won't see much of an upgrade unless you get three of the new cards.

Hehehehe........I bought a Corsair 800D and am modding it up right now, so it will be easier and quicker to swap out GPUs......two,three,four.....what the hell, it's only money.:eek:

Well, if you're not averse to using Tri-CF, you could stand to see some fairly hefty gains. It'd surprise me if the HD7970 was much less than 50% faster than the HD6970 at high res.

I can just about guarantee these new cards will be out by Christmas. How do I know? I just bought a 6950 :p

Just like if I want a company to go bankrupt I'll buy their stock. lol? Last stock I bought was voodoo. they were dead a few months later.

Thank goodness we have some news, as my 5850's are starting to get a little old. Of course, I fear that Magoo might be dead on correct about the availability of the Northern Island parts that we would actually be interested in from an enthusiasts point of view.

Put it this way, if AMD are struggling to get enough HD6900s out the door 10 months after their release, and 2 years after the start of the 40nm process, what chance do you think they stand of providing a sufficient supply of HD7800s and HD7900s (that actually provide substantial gains over current hardware, which the 6800/6900s did not at launch) on the brand new 28nm process? It'll be late summer, or more likely autumn 2012 before you can buy high end parts from both companies with ease.

Yep, and the post is still ambiguous enough for it to be laptop parts. I really don't see why people are expecting the HD7 series desktop cards this year.

I jumped over and overlooked this post. This story's source is the AMD Financial statement and conference call, here is a link http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/third-quarter-earnings-2011oct27.aspx

Quoted form that article under Graphics segment revenue it states

Graphics segment revenue increased 10 percent sequentially and 4 percent year-over-year. The sequential increase was driven primarily by seasonality in the add-in-board market. The year-over-year increase was primarily driven by increased discrete mobile graphics revenue.

Operating income was $12 million, compared with operating loss of $7 million in Q2 11 and operating income of $1 million in Q3 10.
GPU ASP increased sequentially and year-over-year.
AMD demonstrated the industry’s first 28 nanometer mobile GPU. AMD’s next-generation family of high-performance graphics cards is expected to ship for revenue later this year.
AMD launched the AMD Radeon™ HD 6990M GPU, the world's fastest mobile graphics product11 with support for DirectX®11 gaming, AMD Eyefinity Technology multi-monitor configurations driving up to six monitors, and AMD App Acceleration that enhances the performance of a growing number of games as well as multimedia and productivity applications.
AMD expanded the company’s professional graphics solutions to the real-time professional video and broadcast graphics market with the launch of AMD FirePro™ SDI-Link.

So to confirm to everyone this thread is discussing Graphics CARDS not just GPU's

High performance graphics card can still be a laptop part...

Never seen it worded that way and doubt it.

Graphics segment revenue increased 10 percent sequentially and 4 percent year-over-year. The sequential increase was driven primarily by seasonality in the add-in-board market. The year-over-year increase was primarily driven by increased discrete mobile graphics revenue.

Operating income was $12 million, compared with operating loss of $7 million in Q2 11 and operating income of $1 million in Q3 10.
GPU ASP increased sequentially and year-over-year.
AMD demonstrated the industry’s first 28 nanometer mobile GPU. AMD’s next-generation family of high-performance graphics cards is expected to ship for revenue later this year.
AMD launched the AMD Radeon™ HD 6990M GPU, the world's fastest mobile graphics product11 with support for DirectX®11 gaming, AMD Eyefinity Technology multi-monitor configurations driving up to six monitors, and AMD App Acceleration that enhances the performance of a growing number of games as well as multimedia and productivity applications.
AMD expanded the company’s professional graphics solutions to the real-time professional video and broadcast graphics market with the launch of AMD FirePro™ SDI-Link.

Edit: Also note the next line down it refers to the 6990M as a "mobile graphics product" if it were using graphic card loosely to describe a mobile product they would probably have referred to the 6990M as a graphics card also.

I'm pretty sure in this case they are talking about Discrete Graphics card in the 28nm process that are shipping by years end to drive more revenue for Q4 earnings.

Last edited:
too little too late I say.

Even if an awesome card like the 7870 or a 7950 was 100% going to be in the hands of the public by Dec 31st.... the yeild and price is going to keep em' rare as hell for at least 6 months.

I was one of the people who was going to hold on for dear life and wait for the 7000 series to make it an uber awesome fun time upgrade from my GTX280. So glad I said screw it and went with my 6950 2GB.

You can't put a price on 6 months of awesome gaming in BF3 when the only alternative is holding your dick and watching everyone else play fun games while you say to yourself "7000 series will be worth it"

I'm sure once yields are good and the market is saturated the price will make the 7000 series one badass super awesome GPU. Until then? I'll keep what I have :)

I wouldn't worry, even if anything shows up before christmas the first cards that are going to be out will be the HD7800s, which are no faster than the HD6900s, just more efficient, is all :p

too little too late I say.

Even if an awesome card like the 7870 or a 7950 was 100% going to be in the hands of the public by Dec 31st.... the yeild and price is going to keep em' rare as hell for at least 6 months.

I was one of the people who was going to hold on for dear life and wait for the 7000 series to make it an uber awesome fun time upgrade from my GTX280. So glad I said screw it and went with my 6950 2GB.

You can't put a price on 6 months of awesome gaming in BF3 when the only alternative is holding your dick and watching everyone else play fun games while you say to yourself "7000 series will be worth it"

I'm sure once yields are good and the market is saturated the price will make the 7000 series one badass super awesome GPU. Until then? I'll keep what I have :)

You're assuming yields will be bad :p

55nm to 40nm was the same sort of jump as 40nm to 28nm is, and look at how that worked out...
There have already been statements released voicing concerns over poor yields for the 28nm process.

I wouldn't worry, even if anything shows up before christmas the first cards that are going to be out will be the HD7800s, which are no faster than the HD6900s, just more efficient, is all :p

I dunno about that. I expressed my feeling on that before. I don't buy that. To be honest mainstream cards need to release in volume to even be profitable. The only thing that can bring a decent enough profit to be mentinoed in your Q4 forecast would be a high end card. If yields are actually bad you don't want that to affect your mainstream part launch where you make your money by selling 40,000 parts vs a high end part where you sell 3000 parts at launch and run to the bank laughing.

You're assuming yields will be bad :p

Mixed feelings on this one, the announcement by TSMC seemed very optimistic saying that yields were better on the 28nm process in it's current time frame than they were for the 40nm process at around the same time frame of it's development. That sounded good to me, then I read the story about how AIB partners are worried about 28nm yield issues and even interest for the newer cards and it left me with mixed feelings. I think yields could indeed be bad until next year when they have a few more months to further refine the process which is why my gut is telling me that they will release maybe 4000 High end 7950 and maybe 3000 7970 parts and bring the mainstream and low end onslaught for Q1 and early Q2 next year.

55nm to 40nm was the same sort of jump as 40nm to 28nm is, and look at how that worked out...
There have already been statements released voicing concerns over poor yields for the 28nm process.

I dunno, I don't remember then skipping a entire node process from 55nm to 40nm. Here we are going from 40nm to 28nm instead of the interim node of 32nm. Moreover I have read that both AMD and nvidia had schematics for 32nm parts and now that the process is shrinking they are going to be able to fit even more under the hood so I expect a pretty big jump. Not a paltry 20-30% over what we have now. I'm gonna predict something along the lines of 70%-85% boost single card/single card in the high end big chips.

Pretty awesome jump if you ask me. GTX 480 performed better/same as a GTX 295 and was a single card not a dual card. Same with the HD 4870x2 and HD 5870. Sure the yields were garbage, but the performance was damn impressive. The HD 5xxx series was quite insane when it came out(the pretty big performance jump from 4xxx/gtx 2xx to HD 5xxx)

xIronCrossx: Performance has always been good with large dieshrinks. When I say yields, I mean silicon yields, not performance!

Look at the transistor sizes - 40nm is 72.73% of 55nm, so in a two dimensional layout, about half the size.
28nm is 70% of 40nm, so roughly the same. Expecting larger gains than we've had from previous major die shrinks is baseless and seems unrealistic. The only time we see 80% gains is over the lead cards, such as the HD5870 being 80% faster than the HD4870. By that measure, we can expect the HD7970 to be 80% faster than the HD5870, which is what I'm anticipating. When comparing the lead card of a new generation to the best card of the previous one, however, it's normally 40%. The HD5870 was only 40% faster than the GTX285, and the GTX280 was only 40% faster than the 9800GTX+. (These figures line up so exactly, it's amazing). 80% faster than the HD5870 is guess what? Yup, 40% faster than the GTX580, almost exactly.

Yeah I know, I was just saying that I think its fine if the yields are a bit shitty compared to the amazing performance. And 40% faster than a GTX 580, that is damn impressive if you ask me.

It really doesn't affect me much since my birthday is March 31st, perfect for new GPUs to be out and have drivers ironing out the issues and yields should be better by then :)

It would be awesome if we saw new cards this year though

If we consider how things have gone in the past:

Generation DX10/2
HD4870: 100
GTX280: 112
GTX285: 128

Generation DX11/1
HD5870: 180 [up 80% from HD4870, up 40.6% from GTX285]
HD6970: 195 ->> 210
GTX580: 230 [up 79.7% from GTX285]

Generation DX11/2 (anticipated)
HD7970: 325 [up 80.6% from HD5870, up 41.3% from GTX580]
GTX680: 350 [up 52.2% from GTX580]

If these cards are any good I might upgrade...or maybe I'll just SLI another 570.

7970 = +/- 6990

2x 7970 = +/- Quadfire 6970

I could live with that.

I would say a semi-paper launch (I consider a few hundred cards at launch not a hard launch when you are limited to buying 1 card on newegg for 1 hour before OOS) with better, but still limited availability in January.

That should finally be worth an upgrade from my good'ol'trusty 1ghz 5870.

For me to upgrade I have to get a good year of time with my GPU's to feel that the loss I'm gonna take selling them used and buying the extra I'm gonna pay was worth it. That year of enjoyment is worth the extra investment for me. There is a good chance that on day one I'll be there buying 2 or 3 of these cards (if high end does launch first as I predict)

I hate to even ask, But what game is going to need the new cards hehe, I mean what the Hell is even coming out next year that is gonna top all these titles this year. I know Diablo 3 is coming out but i cant see that being very demanding.

I hate to even ask, But what game is going to need the new cards hehe, I mean what the Hell is even coming out next year that is gonna top all these titles this year. I know Diablo 3 is coming out but i cant see that being very demanding.

The only one I can think of marcdaddy is Metro Last light. I don't think it's about the games. But tbh, I wouldn't mind more fps in batlefield 3 especially in eyefinity.

Honestly I welcome the new card specifically because I use eyefinity. I need the extra gpu horsepower to guarantee that I can play my games with high res texture packs an all at my native resolution 3240x1920 with all eye candy maxed including AA and get over 60fps or even better... dare I say 120fps. If that happens I'm all over these. For guys in your situation I wouldn't worry you have 3 6970s so you could sell all 3 of those and get 2 7970s and have probably the same or better performance depending how they turn out. Get a 3rd and then they will crank out your eyefinity that your getting ready to upgrade to. :)

Naw, they did the paper launch last year b/c NV beat them to the punch. When you're first then you have the luxury of having decent supply available at launch.

Lord you make a great point, Maybe going to 2 cards and removing Heat or Just replacing these 3 with 3 7970's and OWNING EYEFINITY!!

Back