Get ready for revolution in hardware

wrong forum ?

ps3 will still use a gpu, and we know where the fastest gpu's are put, in our computers

omg man. this is gonna pwn everything in the market. If only the mobo manufacture's design a cell based mobo with sli. 150 fps in doom 3, ultra quality, 1600x1200? you better believe it.

MrPrez said:
omg man. this is gonna pwn everything in the market. If only the mobo manufacture's design a cell based mobo with sli. 150 fps in doom 3, ultra quality, 1600x1200? you better believe it.

Yes i'm sure of it

cell cpu was hyped forever now, no products have came out yet. I'd wait first before believing all those. uhm, stories :D By the time it hits the market, Intel/AMD offer something to coutner it... maybe :D

Please keep in mind it's not based on the x86 architecture.

IE., don't expect a version of Windows to even enter development for it until it's already making market inroads (IE., manufacturers gearing up to suppor it).

As noted, by the time it's ready for the personal computer (operating system support, hardware support, etc), AMD and Intel will have competing products.

I wouldn't get very excited about it at all, really.

Seriously, that article is like reading somebody's wet dream typed out.

Linux a serious home/gaming OS?
Processors that "blow away" x86 architecture coming 'out of nowhere'?
Every device in the house having one of these that can ALL work together?
LOCAL MEMORY!?!?

Anyone remotely familiar with the technology behind IT hardware could keep going - Cell is coming, of that there is no doubt because it's in the PS3.....but that's it. It's just going to be another console-CPU, and that's all it will be.

It'll never enter the desktop market for a number of reasons:
1) How do you market it? Why would someone want to buy a whole new Cell PC when they could just add a few cheap Cell devices to their home?
2) Low margins - if this is really to be the performance dynamo claimed, and cheap enough to fab to be a console part, how are companies going to make money on it?
3) Local memory? Means no more selling ram - LOTS of people will have a problem with that.
4) PC accessory market is a big market, and PCs are replaced yearly. Having a 'console-like' PC will not be something ANYONE is going to jump onboard for. Long lifetimes? No add-on accessories? etc.
5) Needing to use LINUX as an OS? OMFG - that's just a laugh. No unified API for programming, no unified user interface, etc.

It's just a bad idea from a business perspective, so it won't happen.

And I *seriously* think they are underestimating where multi-core x86-64 processors will be taking us.

dderidex said:
And I *seriously* think they are underestimating where multi-core x86-64 processors will be taking us.

perhaps we're overestimating it?

seriously, I have read up on intel's dual core plans and you know what...I am not impressed. keyword...HEAT. no thanks. prescott kicked their asses...now they will paste 2 of them together just to answer to amd dual core, while they both fight for cache. What a shit design.

If anything, amd's dual core seems like a better idea.

As for cell design, I must admire sony's dream. well in this case....it's reality cuz they are real. I mean people come on. Look at what we have now. crapy ass prescotts...decent amd chips. I for one...want more. WAY freaking more. ! heck I want to render my after effects projects at full HD 1080i in real time. I want to see a full real time 3dsmax, maya.

this is not just for games. think big like i said. and no I dont expect this overnight. it will take time. I am sure intel will " steal some ideas from it". The same way microsoft will steal all of Apple new features in OSX. ( coming out a wopping fuckng year later with lame Longhorn.)

Like I said...open your mind, stop the !!!!!! shiete.

i am not surprised .. even a xbox2 is using 3x g5 64bit processors....

PS2 was big when it came out. Look where its at now.

Remember this:

sink.jpeg

car1.jpeg

Dont know about you, but I havent seen any games that good on the PS2.

I dont know when this thread came out but ummm yeah i dont think it will go over that well... but heck im a newb! Theres hope!

If cell is really a POWER 5 it's going to be cool. POWER 5's are already in the fastest computers in the world. I'd love to see iside one if anyone has pictures of a POWER 5 workstation or something.

The hype is always overblown. I wouldn't make any bets till we see some physical evidence. There are no guarantees that the design will work as ideally as theorized. As for me... I'm waiting for multi-cored Pentium-M-based desktops.

minc3d said:
PS2 was big when it came out. Look where its at now.

Remember this:

sink.jpeg

car1.jpeg

Dont know about you, but I havent seen any games that good on the PS2.

I totally approve this.
Remember when everyone said that the PS2 would have 200 processors of 3ghz or something like this when it's actually 3 processors of 333mhz or so?

We won't see this technology working before 2008 I say.

i remember back when ps2 first came out that the government was saying that iraq had bought so many tens of thousands of units and that they were using theyre processing power to build a targetting system for missles...

acascianelli said:
i remember back when ps2 first came out that the government was saying that iraq had bought so many tens of thousands of units and that they were using theyre processing power to build a targetting system for missles...
ROFL!!!

BTW, cell tech will be used to develop omniscient AI which will destroy the humanity... Oh wait, it already happened in terminator 3! :D

its BOTH in PS3 PS2 does and PS3 will use its CPU as a GPU thats what makes PS2 soo powerfull and a bitch to code for as it porcess all data the same its kind cool ill have to dig up some white papers on it but yes the cell CPU will also be part of the graphics engine in PS3

Elios said:
its BOTH in PS3 PS2 does and PS3 will use its CPU as a GPU thats what makes PS2 soo powerfull and a bitch to code for as it porcess all data the same its kind cool ill have to dig up some white papers on it but yes the cell CPU will also be part of the graphics engine in PS3
This is offtopic, but:

PUNCTUATION PLEASE!

I'm not done, but this is a pretty powerful statement from the article:
If over clocked sufficiently (over 3.0GHz) and using some very optimised code (SSE assembly), 5 dual core Opterons directly connected via HyperTransport should be able to achieve a similar level of performance in stream processing - as a single Cell.

The PlayStation 3 is expected to have have 4 Cells.

The comparitive bits are what make the article interesting.

regardless of speculations, I see a revolution in the way that things are done. I dunno about you guys, I am sick and tired of intel on top. I love amd if I have intel based machines. I respect the tech that amd, ati and nvidia have been dishing out.

I remember way back when they said that sony woudl not stand a chance against nintendo...where are they now. the same can be applied to this. This is not just Sony. it;s IBM, Itachi, Apple, Amd. All working together to crank out some serious awesome hardware.

I want cell tech to succeed. I would love a PC that runs OS# and is godly like.

you guys need to also see the future in terms of programing. This will be the start of a new way of thinking, playing and computing. it's about time. look at the market now.. everyone and their mom is goin dual something. cell is just that.... multi cpu/gpus but done super right.

Wake me up when it actually can be tested in the real-world....and not just on real-world paper.

BlckRaven said:
you guys need to also see the future in terms of programing. This will be the start of a new way of thinking, playing and computing. it's about time. look at the market now.. everyone and their mom is goin dual something. cell is just that.... multi cpu/gpus but done super right.
Cell will be a bitch to program for. It's been stripped down of abstractions for the sake of performance. The PS2 was a bitch to program for too, but it's still on top, so maybe it won't matter?

Sykil said:
Cell will be a bitch to program for. It's been stripped down of abstractions for the sake of performance. The PS2 was a bitch to program for too, but it's still on top, so maybe it won't matter?

I think the PS2 was fine to code for after they released a revised dev kit.

Elios said:
incorrect the ps3 gpu is being manufactured by nvidia bitch-tits

Blck Raven I agree with you. Why can't intel turn something out that doesn't pdocue 130+W of heat when amd's 90nm stuff is putting out 67w and their very own mobiles put out 25-30W and can come very close to prescott performance?

Every one needs to stop for a second and take a look at their product and say how can we make the design more efficient?

I would really like to see intel scale the p4m even more and lower the rediculous prices for them in the retail channels.

The prescott is turning out to be their 5800 but intel won't admit it.

I agree. My prescott is a pain in the ass and I'm quickly becoming disenchanted with Intel after reading more about IBM's current and past architectures. Mac's are starting to look more and more appealing to me since I'm concerned with processing power and not with increasing my power bill each month. Seriously, the only PSU I've been happy with on this machine is a 550W rated for dual Xeons.

Cell is basically in use in IBM's Blue Gene system, albeit in a different form than we might see in the PS3. It looks promising after I read IBM's press releases and POWER data yesterday for hours on end.

Problem is PC is a friggen Loade Oil tanker. Its not going to be effected by anything that easily and neither will it stop on a dime. I guarantee that PC's will overcome this little hurdle just like they have overcome past issues. Intel nor AMD are stupid they have some briliant engineers.

I hardly think this will be a revolution in hardware. It's all hype. As stated people have been banging on about all this "truely distributed computing" with your fridge and tv working together to do processing for your console...blah blah blah. I can honestly say that when the PS3 comes out thats all it will be, just another "next gen" console. What network would all this operate over? 10/100 LAN? Wi-Fi? Fibre?

And again, remember all the hype when PS2 was coming? About the "Emotion Engine" and all the amazing stuff it would do in games and how that would "create a revolution in gaming". Frankly I think that Microsoft have created more of a positive impact with Live! than anything else in recent console history.

Syphon Filter said:
I hardly think this will be a revolution in hardware. It's all hype. As stated people have been banging on about all this "truely distributed computing" with your fridge and tv working together to do processing for your console...blah blah blah. I can honestly say that when the PS3 comes out thats all it will be, just another "next gen" console. What network would all this operate over? 10/100 LAN? Wi-Fi? Fibre?

And again, remember all the hype when PS2 was coming? About the "Emotion Engine" and all the amazing stuff it would do in games and how that would "create a revolution in gaming". Frankly I think that Microsoft have created more of a positive impact with Live! than anything else in recent console history.
emotion engine is powerful,but the since it needed to be affordable in a ps2 it has shit clocks

Ballz2TheWallz said:
emotion engine is powerful,but the since it needed to be affordable in a ps2 it has shit clocks

I'm not saying it isnt powerful. But it seems that people are getting their pants wet with sex wee over Cell technology. Its just not going to be the "the next big thing" that people are saying.

A revolution in computing hardware will truely come when we move away from current methods from the physical side of things. By this I mean current IC technology. Computing is becoming more and more limited by the materials we use. When that fundamentally changes...then we will start to see the so called revolution.

Syphon Filter said:
I'm not saying it isnt powerful. But it seems that people are getting their pants wet with sex wee over Cell technology. Its just not going to be the "the next big thing" that people are saying.

A revolution in computing hardware will truely come when we move away from current methods from the physical side of things. By this I mean current IC technology. Computing is becoming more and more limited by the materials we use. When that fundamentally changes...then we will start to see the so called revolution.

carbon nanotubes my friend... will replace Silicon processes..... but that's a long ways from now..

WTF would be the advantage to having my fridge help run my video game console.. that just sounds stupid...

tell me, why would you spend a ton of money making a fridge that can process data for you console? The PURPOSE of a fridge is to keep things cold, which doesn't require a processor.

Vulcanus said:
tell me, why would you spend a ton of money making a fridge that can process data for you console? The PURPOSE of a fridge is to keep things cold, which doesn't require a processor.

for real kid.. damn..

I don't know what peopel are thinking when they come up with impractical expensive things, and think it will change the world... i'm not talkabout about this cell thing specifically..but more in general...

all that stuff is just on paper.. and well.. any engineer will tell you, that nothing ever works as how it looks on paper..

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
all that stuff is just on paper.. and well.. any engineer will tell you, that nothing ever works as how it looks on paper..

Thats what i am trying to get across!!

As for carbon nanotubes...again you are illustrating my point...a new architecture of what is essentially the same thing isnt going to change much. Its like building bridges...yes bridge techonology develops, but the revolutions in bridge building came when the fundamental materials used changed. ie from early wooden bridges to stone and then to metal etc. I am saying that "Cell" processors are not going to change things much in the grand scheme of things.

I used to concern myself with the archetecture of silicon microprocessors aa few years ago but I have come to learn, it is what the performance is which matters in the end. The PS3 will accomplish the same thing as the PS2. It will be faster and prettier but it will not be evolutionary.

Back