Get Ready For Ads In Your Notification Drawer

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Wouldn’t it be horrible if you pulled down your notification drawer and saw an ad for an overpriced meal at Red Lobster or a trailer for Fantastic Four? Well, that kind of thing seems like it is slowly becoming a reality. Recent reports have shown that HTC and Samsung are actually doing this by integrating giant, banner-like ads in the pull-down notifications and settings menu on certain devices.

What we're seeing here is a set of notifications that'll pop up in the pull-down notifications and settings menu on an Android device - newer Samsung devices, in this case - that'll link to a Samsung webpage where the items advertised are for sale. Examples here include a Galaxy S6 edge+ ad and a Peel Remote ad - which is slightly separate.

people will just install custom roms for android, though, a lot of non tech-savvy people will probably end up with spyware and bricked hardware trying to install whatever comes up in google.

To be fair, the HTC "ad" was only advertising that a new free premium skin (based on the new movie) from their built in theming center was available (users can disable this). Samsung on the other hand seems to have sold out.

Get ready for a metric fuckton of people looking to find out how to root and put custom roms on their Android devices then...the only way I could see adds in the notification drawer working is if the device price was subsidized, like Amazon does with the Kindle tablets and eReaders.

wow..... smart move samsung... Ill make sure if i upgrade to anything past this galaxy s4 its not samsung.. hell probably should have gone lg...

the HTC "ad" was only advertising that a new free premium skin (based on the new movie) from their built in theming center was available

No, it was an ad for the movie designed to fool people into thinking it wasn't. Looks like it worked...

wow..... smart move samsung... Ill make sure if i upgrade to anything past this galaxy s4 its not samsung.. hell probably should have gone lg...

I'm already to the point that if I move from my s4 it will be something else. Hell after the "lollipop" forced update even the Iphone seems like a better option. I used to love my s4, now... :(

Is it really a surprise for something that comes from an ad company? Stuff google and android. I went windows phone and won't touch that google crap ever again.

Nothing but problems with android, software and hardware. Plus my windows phone gets updates all the time, the only way to update android is to either buy a new phone or do the voodoo raindrance and put hacked rom crap on it.

people will just install custom roms for android, though, a lot of non tech-savvy people will probably end up with spyware and bricked hardware trying to install whatever comes up in google.

...You're talking about Samsung. The people who try to bone you into having an unrootable un-ROMable phone with their Knox "security" "feature".

Yeah,

If this becomes reality, form now on making sure a device has an unlockable boot loader and developer support before buying will be a priority.

This shit is just going too far.

I need to switch away from Verizon ASAP, as they have a very poor track record when it comes to locked boot loaders. my Droid Turbo is probably the best phone I've ever owned, but the fact that it is bootloader locked makes me regret buying it.

Good news is that you can root and install cleaner Android builds on these memorycard-less phones, sometimes easier than on older memorycard-having ones.

Hot damn, I'll get to make money rooting phones again. Thanks htc/samsung!

Is it really a surprise for something that comes from an ad company? Stuff google and android. I went windows phone and won't touch that google crap ever again.

Nothing but problems with android, software and hardware. Plus my windows phone gets updates all the time, the only way to update android is to either buy a new phone or do the voodoo raindrance and put hacked rom crap on it.

Too bad there aren't any apps for Windows Phone.

Now you know how Linux users feel.

Problem is it's becoming exceedingly difficult to nigh impossible to root the latest batch of Samsung phones with the newest locked bootloaders. CM requires (or used to require) an unlocked bootloader to install and run, which utterly excludes my S5 with OF3 (which just loaded itself a few days ago). You can't even install Safestrap if you're on a bootloader past a certain version.

People on xda are mighty unhappy with the current state of Samsung phones and have even put out bounties to the first developer who figures out a true bootloader unlock for these devices. The only real solution at this point seems to be to get ahold of an older phone with a proven rooting history or a developer phone that comes unlocked from the factory. I don't know how difficult it is for a normal person to get ahold of the latter.

Problem is it's becoming exceedingly difficult to nigh impossible to root the latest batch of Samsung phones with the newest locked bootloaders. CM requires (or used to require) an unlocked bootloader to install and run, which utterly excludes my S5 with OF3 (which just loaded itself a few days ago). You can't even install Safestrap if you're on a bootloader past a certain version.

People on xda are mighty unhappy with the current state of Samsung phones and have even put out bounties to the first developer who figures out a true bootloader unlock for these devices. The only real solution at this point seems to be to get ahold of an older phone with a proven rooting history or a developer phone that comes unlocked from the factory. I don't know how difficult it is for a normal person to get ahold of the latter.

Bounties have been out on Samsung phones for years. The VZW and ATT Note 3 had $16,000 worth of bounties on each of them for a root exploit and for a bootloader unlock.

Solution? Don't buy Samsung.

Skripka, which phone would you buy that is of a similar style and capabilities of an S5 or S6?

Skripka, which phone would you buy that is of a similar style and capabilities of an S5 or S6?

So long as Google keeps making Nexus phones-I'll buy them. The AOSP community support is a million times better and easier and you don't have Knox and locked bootloader crap. Next Nexus should be announced soonish.

Hmmm, I'll have to look into Nexus phones, then. I've been a Samsung whore for so long that I can't remember much of anything else.

So long as Google keeps making Nexus phones-I'll buy them. The AOSP community support is a million times better and easier and you don't have Knox and locked bootloader crap. Next Nexus should be announced soonish.

No sdcard slot = No buy

No sdcard slot = No buy

Choose your priorities. Unlocked and great AOSP support for ROMs....or microSD storage.

Given 64GB phones these days, I'm willing to give up microSD in exchange for AOSP ROMs that just work and phones that are simple stupid to unlock....and that only have ONE SKU, not the carrier and region specific BS that others push.

AOSP is usually flaky though. Wanted to like Cyanogenmod the number of years I've tried it but there was always something basic that was broken across different devices. For a hobbyist with a lot of time they might put up with that but not for business folks who expect their phone to work 100%.

Anyhow, I've never gotten ads so I'm suspecting this person opted-in unknowingly plus you can turn off Samsung Push Service notification or disable the app completely.

AOSP is usually flaky though.

Only on Samsung and other locked down SKUs.

Nexus devices it just works...as opposed to OEMs that work like hell to force you into using TouchShit and the like.

Only on Samsung and other locked down SKUs.

Nexus devices it just works...as opposed to OEMs that work like hell to force you into using TouchShit and the like.

Nexus devices usually have crappy hardware though. It's like modding a Corolla to get it to run like a Lexus.

Nexus devices usually have crappy hardware though. It's like modding a Corolla to get it to run like a Lexus.

"Crappy hardware" as in it is equivalent for all normal usage. Which is why Samsung has been so disappointed with their s6 sales this Spring, because people aren't fond of replacing hardware that is good enough.

"Crappy hardware" as in it is equivalent for all normal usage. Which is why Samsung has been so disappointed with their s6 sales this Spring, because people aren't fond of replacing hardware that is good enough.

Playing Sky Force 2014 is normal usage but on stage 8 hard with a lot of objects on screen it lags to almost unplayable on crappy hardware but is fine on Galaxy S6 with Exynos 7420.

Playing Sky Force 2014 is normal usage but on stage 8 hard with a lot of objects on screen it lags to almost unplayable on crappy hardware but is fine on Galaxy S6 with Exynos 7420.

A crappy unoptimized game is your definition of "normal usage". Got it.

Try checking email, reading FacePlant, texting, and Angry Birds...that is normal usage. That is why you purchased an S6, and most all past Samsung customers didn't feel the need to "upgrade" their s5 or s4. Which is why the s6 sales were so underwhelming.

Windows continuum will probably pull new apps/devs in. I'm probably going to jump ship for this as it seems the best route for me.

Don't know why you brought up sales because I highly doubt all of Nexus devices combined outsell a single S6 model.

Maybe you should try actually reading my last few posts...because why I bring up sales was pretty explicit.

Back