Get Norton AntiVirus 2013 for Free

Norton would have to pay me to run their bloated crapware! ESET NOD32 all the way baby!!

You could not pay me to use Norton.

I used to use it on all my machines. The headaches I got did not justify their use anymore.

Kaspersky also runs free after rebate deals for 3 computer packs. I suggest looking for one of those.

There's also outright free AV
Avast
AVG
the MS one

I give the author credit for being spot on in the first two paragraphs of the linked article. It fits this thread perfectly.

"Funny thing about Symantec's security programs: Lots of people still hate them. Like, really hate them. I guess the bloated, sluggish, more-harm-than-good versions of yesteryear were enough to turn some users off Symantec forever, even though the products have improved dramatically in the past several years.

Indeed, several of the company's Norton tools are perennial award-winners, and have been since the early days of Windows 7. And yet I know that at least some readers will see this deal and write, "Norton AntiVirus? No way, never again.""

I give the author credit for being spot on in the first two paragraphs of the linked article. It fits this thread perfectly.

"Funny thing about Symantec's security programs: Lots of people still hate them. Like, really hate them. I guess the bloated, sluggish, more-harm-than-good versions of yesteryear were enough to turn some users off Symantec forever, even though the products have improved dramatically in the past several years.

Indeed, several of the company's Norton tools are perennial award-winners, and have been since the early days of Windows 7. And yet I know that at least some readers will see this deal and write, "Norton AntiVirus? No way, never again.""

I have used Norton products since Norton Commander for DOS and I dropped using them when they went full metal bloatware with their Systemworks, stuffing so many TSRs into it that I said fuck it. I heard that they changed course with their antivirus in 2009 and I have to agree that it's lean and mean now. There was one bug where it still scanned files/drives that you told it not to but they patched that out long ago.

The only thing I don't like now is that when I install their antivirus product they automatically install Norton Identity Safe, which I immediately remove.

I want an antivirus product and if they want to stuff anything else into it then give me the option to not install it from the getgo.

Clearly with Intel owning McAfee and Microsoft bundling MSE in Win8 and offering it free for other operating systems as far back as XP, there's a threat to Symantec's business model of charging people for crap AV. If I want to run AV software, I'll get something that doesn't cost anything, comes bundled with a modern OS, or (better still) I'll just use a Linux OS.

If you look here it shows MSE with the third worst detection out of 15 AVs, it is however the only AV with 0 false positives.

I've heard that Norton is better than it used to be, but I still wouldn't want it. I've been using Avast for a while and it's starting to get bloated so I've been thinking of switching but it won't be to Norton.

How odd...when I first built my windows 7 rig, I installed Norton's suite. When I noticed performance wasn't what it should be I uninstalled it and installed MSE.

You know the first thing MSE told me? There was a Trojan on my system. Norton completely missed it and MSE caught it. (I Promptly wiped the drive and reloaded the OS, been using MSE ever since (Well, windows 8 defender now) and haven't had any issues at all.

Every system in the last 5 years that has been completely hosed with massive viri and malware infections was running Norton, McAfee, or Kaspersky.

Every system I've seen running Sophos, ESET, or MSE has been completely clean.

Fuck Norton AV.

Show us the evidence, or you are just trolling the most popular.

How do you know that systems running are Sophos, ESET, or MSE have been completely clean?

Show us the evidence, or you are just trolling the most popular.

How do you know that systems running are Sophos, ESET, or MSE have been completely clean?

Because I've worked on hundreds of them in the last few years alone.
As others have stated in this thread, even though Norton and other AVs show that they are better products, they have been proven in the real-world to not be better products in any area.

This isn't just me saying this, read through this thread a bit and you will find others with similar experiences.
Speaking of trolling, this is the fourth thread you've followed me into.

Keep it up and the mods just might have some fun with you.

Back