Get HL2 online w/o steam installed?

Spumoni

n00b
I purchased HL2 through Steam when I was back in the states. I'm deployed to Iraq right now, and while I did bring my receipt with me with the numbers, I cannot install software onto any computer with internet access. Consequently I cannot use Steam to get the files I need to install. Most gaming sites are blocked as well, so I can't even access Steam's website to see if there's a way to purchase the CDs at a discount if you give them the information you used to originally purchase HL2. I think they carry it at the bigger field shop out here, but I really just want to play through it again.

And yes, I am thinking I should have just gone down to Big Box and purchased the game instead of via Steam, but hindsight...

Or as an alternative, if I find somebody out here with HL2 install discs my Steam-purchased numbers will work to install it, or are they different?

Even if you are able to install the game you will not be able to play...

Steam and all of its glory is required to have internet connection to play online, because after you install you have to "decrpyt" the game files, but you have to have an ineternet connection to do it

So even if I were to purchase it, I'd have to bribe my way onto a network long enough to at least get it running?

What if I borrow somebody's discs and use my number?

You can use your number but you still need to decrypt it via the internet/steam. :(

Unfortunatyl, there is no legal way to install the game without internet :(

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like there's no legal way to enjoy the game I purchased. Thank lawyers for consumer use...er copy protection. I'll just have to enjoy Doom III yet again.

Spumoni said:
Thanks for the help guys. Looks like there's no legal way to enjoy the game I purchased. Thank lawyers for consumer use...er copy protection. I'll just have to enjoy Doom III yet again.

Im wondering how are you posting in this thread?

Why dont u bring your pc to where you got to this forum? ;)

That is definately steam's fundamental fault. By being so web-driven it turns alot of users off to the actual game. Its not like you need the internet to play Half-Life 2, they just are trying to get you to use the service. I remember when I purchased Half-Life 2 gold pack, they said they would be mailing me a copy of the game in the mail. I never recieved that copy and I am pretty pissed about it. Also steams servers suck, who wants to wait 2 hrs until you can play half life 2.

kohan69 said:
Im wondering how are you posting in this thread?

Why dont u bring your pc to where you got to this forum? ;)

Luckiily this forum is not blocked on the computers within the facility where I work. No MP3 players, cameras, PDAs or other such devices are allowed past the security desk. And I'd hate to lose this security clearance, and consequently my ability to do anything but clean toilets over here, over a game.

Get in good with the contractors. I can't speak for all of em, but we had our own Segovia satellite link while I was in Mosul. Had to keep Steam up overnight when folks were asleep and shut it down during the day so I wouldn't rape bandwidth. Took few days, but I finally got it. After that, you can play in offline mode.

MrSatan said:
I remember when I purchased Half-Life 2 gold pack, they said they would be mailing me a copy of the game in the mail. I never recieved that copy and I am pretty pissed about it. Also steams servers suck, who wants to wait 2 hrs until you can play half life 2.

I bought the gold package over steam too, and nowhere did it say they were going to mail you a copy of the game. You just assumed they were, it didn't say they were going to anywhere. All they said they were going to mail is the merch (sticker, postcard, posters, stratguide & hat)

I order to Play the single player of HL2 you need to only activiate the game once over steam, you can do this buy taking your box to a friends house and activating the game, then you can take you box home and play single player HL2. as far as Multiplayer, if you dont have internet to activate the game, then you cant play multiplayer, I do think it would be possible to play a Lan game without internet after you get the game activated but that is it.

Diablo2K said:
I order to Play the single player of HL2 you need to only activiate the game once over steam, you can do this buy taking your box to a friends house and activating the game, then you can take you box home and play single player HL2. as far as Multiplayer, if you dont have internet to activate the game, then you cant play multiplayer, I do think it would be possible to play a Lan game without internet after you get the game activated but that is it.

Did you read the OP? He's in Iraq. I don't think he's got "a friend's house" in Iraq. :rolleyes:

They are rolling out a pay-for wireless out here, but the size of HL2 is bigger than the max data transfer per week, and to pay for two weeks (@$25/wk) worth would exceed the cost of buying HL2. If I didn't have access to good speed (althrough websense'd) internet for 12hrs/day while on shift I'd probaby just pay for the wireless. But $25/week isn't worth it for the 1-2hrs/day I'd be able to use.

It seems that I'll have to get a hold of the CDs, and then cash in a favor of using somebody's account to activate it.

And yes, you can take it as a good sign that I'm in Iraq, and I'm able to worry about how I'm going to get Half-Life 2 playing. Brink of civil war :rolleyes:

Spumoni said:
And yes, you can take it as a good sign that I'm in Iraq, and I'm able to worry about how I'm going to get Half-Life 2 playing. Brink of civil war :rolleyes:

What... you mean the media is exaggerating things again? No.... say it ain't so! :rolleyes:

Thanks for serving, Spumoni. It's people like you that enable me to post on this forum while I'm at work at a job I love. Thank you very, very much.

Back