Get Free Heat And Hot Water For Storing Servers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Throw in free gigabit internet service for the homeowner and this would be a great deal!

Cloud&Heat is a cloud infrastructure company that has started distributing its servers to people who want to store them in exchange for free heat in their homes or offices. Since servers generate so much excess heat and cloud companies have to spend a lot to cool them, the idea to repurpose the waste heat isn't new.

Because enterprise companies and hell, even individuals, really want their cloud servers physically located in random peoples' homes and offices. Sign my financial institution up!

Heat in the winter around here is expensive as F..I would totally do this. Slap this down in my basement near my personal rack where it is out of the way anyhow and enjoy the free heat.

Great, I've been needing some heat since this bitmining thing became unprofitable.

If only there was something I could use all this surplus hashing hardware for...

I use my pc to heat up my room. But this electric heating is much more expensive than gas

Do I get to return this in the summer when I need AC?

I would totally put one of these in my basement. It's cold in the winter and cold in the summer so it wouldn't bother any of us.

It seems some of you didn't read the article. If the heat isn't needed in the rooms, it'll be directed to a water tank or vented outside.

I don't need much heat, but I would love to borrow some enterprise internet; and there is dark fiber not too far from my house; I have a lot of room in the basement

I use my pc to heat up my room. But this electric heating is much more expensive than gas

Wish we had your problem.. Around here gas is more costly then electric. Especially so converting the 3 furnances from fuel oil to gas. Right now it is 6k monthly to heat the house. (double house, business attached) via fuel oil. It only is around 1.4k for electric, including the normal bill.

Wish we had your problem.. Around here gas is more costly then electric. Especially so converting the 3 furnances from fuel oil to gas. Right now it is 6k monthly to heat the house. (double house, business attached) via fuel oil. It only is around 1.4k for electric, including the normal bill.

6k in actual dollars? holy shit - how much square footage are we talking about?

Maybe he thinks k means hundreds lol. In which case, that heating is still obscene unless you live somewhere that's just ridiculously cold. My heating never goes that high, and I live on 1600 Sq Ft in Missouri, where it gets down to 15 degrees F or so during the coldest weeks of the Winter.

Maybe he thinks k means hundreds lol. In which case, that heating is still obscene unless you live somewhere that's just ridiculously cold. My heating never goes that high, and I live on 1600 Sq Ft in Missouri, where it gets down to 15 degrees F or so during the coldest weeks of the Winter.

For real. It got down to around 6 or 7 degrees here today, and our heating isn't nearly that expensive.

I'd totally do it if they arrange to get a separate fibre feed installed so that it's not using my own internet (which does not allow servers nor offer static IPs) and that they pay for the electricity usage. Too bad you can't do a few nodes though, I have room in my server rack. :D

I agree with posters that this makes the data unsafe. However for business it would be smart to divert heat to your office space in winter to heat things up.

For real. It got down to around 6 or 7 degrees here today, and our heating isn't nearly that expensive.

It's finally getting cooler out here in Southern California, the low dropped to below 60F the last couple nights. :)

Electricity is much more expensive than gas out here. Even in my 2500 sqft home, I don't think I've ever had a gas bill go up by more then $60 for winter heating, and it's usually only and extra $30-$40 during the winter.

On the other hand, Air Conditioning during the summer can add $250 to the electric bill during the hottest months.

from the wording, I think they will only pay for the electricity that the server consumes, not the entire electric bill.

If they do pay the entire electric bill & internet, then it's a great deal for those who want to participate.

Heat in the winter around here is expensive as F..I would totally do this. Slap this down in my basement near my personal rack where it is out of the way anyhow and enjoy the free heat.

What about summer when it is still sitting there generating assloads of heat.

Free? You have to buy the case, not to mention who the hell would want this in their house in a place that isn't out of the way. I seriously doubt this vents enough heat to warm up a 300m^2 home.

No.. I am talking 6000 USD. Fuel oil is 3.20 a gallon. They used to go through 2 tanks for the one side which is the business (AFC HOME) and tank and half for the home. We live in a huge field. The house is almost 9000 ft sq. Last year we had temps down to -45f, and for the residents the heat has to be no less then 68f

I agree with posters that this makes the data unsafe. However for business it would be smart to divert heat to your office space in winter to heat things up.

Cloud in general is unsafe. The NSA, CSIS and other "eyes" are looking at all the data anyway, does not really matter where it is. Though it looks like it's Germany only so possibly to try to get away from this. Not sure if Germany has as many eyes on data as the government's here do.

Correction, Talked to my cousin, he was being charged by derrors Oil, 3500 per tank, and it was7000 usd bimonthly

from the wording, I think they will only pay for the electricity that the server consumes, not the entire electric bill.

If they do pay the entire electric bill & internet, then it's a great deal for those who want to participate.

That seems... kinda fair. I think the idea was you would save money by the heat it generates.

It does come off as a bit of a gimmick, though. But it actually would be a somewhat cool long-term strategy if it could be adopted broadly by more companies somehow.

lol electricity bill will be through the roof. Probably like 10-20 motherboards at any given time running at full speed. Might cost more than actually getting a heater.

Back