Get Em While They're Hot!! 580s

at 200 dollars more then a 570GTX? I think these need to drop some. I know they are the fastest single gpu available but c note would be hard pressed to justify. Unless your planning a dual card balls to the ball system with surround I think the evga 570GTX looks a lot better.

though looking at EVGA site the difference isn't quite as much for some reason :confused:

at 200 dollars more then a 570GTX? I think these need to drop some. I know they are the fastest single gpu available but c note would be hard pressed to justify. Unless your planning a dual card balls to the ball system with surround I think the evga 570GTX looks a lot better.

though looking at EVGA site the difference isn't quite as much for some reason :confused:

Your prolly right,but they sure fly off the shelves...

the question is are they really flying off the shelf or are they purposely limiting supply to justify the high price.

likely both. but I doubt Nvidia is purposely doing that. more like production shortage. Nvidia pulled a rabbit out their hat here but they did have to cut corners somewhere to get an early launch. that along with being a huge chip (low count per wafer even if the yields are good) is not going to make for a well stocked product.

If I wasn't looking to do Eyefinity, I might consider a GTX 580. The limited memory compared to the 6970 + the extra $150 higher price tag really just doesn't make any sense to me from a value standpoint though.

Oh well, a nice product nonetheless.

at 200 dollars more then a 570GTX? I think these need to drop some.

Gonna be frank, I don't follow the GPU price scene that closely, but I don't think flagship GPUs ever drop price during their lifetime as flagship. I remember just before the 580s came out the 480s were still $500.

In other words, I don't see the 580s ever dropping price until Kepler--especially if there is manufacturing shortage (because I highly doubt they're going out of stock due to demand with AMD's latest offerings).

GTX 280 was cut by something like $200 when the 4870 launched.
That was just due to competitive pricing by ATI. Haven't seen anything like it this time around.

Yes, they must have gotten an ass-load of cards in from China.

The GTX 580 Step-up queue moved by over 100 pieces yesterday as well.

I was waiting on a Step-up on my GTX 480 since 9 November, slowly moving down from 145 in line to 65 where I remained frozen for over three weeks...................:eek:

Then yesterday I was given the go ahead to send the card in for the exchange.
Traded my 480 for a 580 and 29 dollars.

I believe this "shortage" is merely manufacturing on evga's part.
There have been plenty of Galaxy, MSI and Gigabyte cards available all through December.
The only real product shortages have been seen with ASUS and EVGA.(shrug)

Nah. I looked at those a couple of weeks ago, but price is way too high for the limited amount of video memory. And the block is overpriced.

So I ordered a 6970 + EK waterblock for alot less $. Got it today. Now waiting for the 6990 and proper EK waterblock. Will cost alot less then 3 of those watercooled 580 in Tri-SLI, and should give it a good run for the money. I'm planning to go with 3X 30'' LCD. At those high resolution, the 580 can't keep up. :)

Asus and EVGA are probably more popular than the rest of the brands. Not to mention, they're by far the best looking cards out there. With all the high end black PCB motherboards out there, I think people are looking for nice black video cards to match. :)

There's just no point to paying $500 for a card when you can get a 6950 for $279 AR, unlock it, or a 570 for $350, and get +/-90% the performance.

way to expensive for my. Being laid off sucks I wish I could buy something new.

Yes and no.

I mean, coming from my GTX 275, I was looking at it like this:

Pay $350 -> 50% performance increase -> 0.142% / dollar
Pay $520 -> 70% performance increase -> 0.134% / dollar

Both cards end up having roughly similar value at this point.

I still went with the GTX 570 though, as it has much lower power draw, and it would be easier to justify SLI if I did want the extra performance.

+1

ex0du5: you realise that's totally nonsensical right?
Let's take a GTX460 768MB vs a GTX465.
:O - 5% performance increase for all that money? Totally not worth it!

You can't take the price as a whole, and only take the performance from an additive basis. You need to take the comparative price as well.
Trust me, the GTX570 is a lot better value than the GTX580 (in basic numerical terms, 100% performance/dollar versus 80%)

This is the first time I see the EVGA GTX580 in stock for more than 2 days. The demand has lowered a little bit. I remember that when I got mine a couple weeks ago, they were sold out by the moment I finished my purchase.

Gonna be frank, I don't follow the GPU price scene that closely, but I don't think flagship GPUs ever drop price during their lifetime as flagship. I remember just before the 580s came out the 480s were still $500.

In other words, I don't see the 580s ever dropping price until Kepler--especially if there is manufacturing shortage (because I highly doubt they're going out of stock due to demand with AMD's latest offerings).

they are going out of stock largely because there aren't many right now (several sites called this long ago) and there is still a large demand as there is always for a flagship product.

but flagship products do drop, the 280GTX is a good example. AMD did not match the performance until the 4870X2 but they did cause Nvidia to have to lower the prices to a far more reasonable level and even issue refunds. I think if Nvidia ever gets (or lets, this may be just marketing after all) a stock built up they will have to drop the prices. the 6900 and the 570GTX both kill it at that price.

consider this. you can buy three 6950s for the price of two 580GTXs. and they will have more ram, use about the same power, and probably mop the floor with them with some exceptions.

what I am waiting for is some higher memory 570GTX. That should not be that much of a stretch and would be interesting to see how it works out in surround.

likely both. but I doubt Nvidia is purposely doing that. more like production shortage. Nvidia pulled a rabbit out their hat here but they did have to cut corners somewhere to get an early launch. that along with being a huge chip (low count per wafer even if the yields are good) is not going to make for a well stocked product.

GF110 is a smaller die than GF100, 530mm^2 instead of 550mm^2. Even if it's a new die and they have yet to perfect the manufacturing of it, it's just a modified GF100 die, that they've been producing for the last nine months. I would expect the availability to be better than it is.

Yes, they must have gotten an ass-load of cards in from China.

The GTX 580 Step-up queue moved by over 100 pieces yesterday as well.

I was waiting on a Step-up on my GTX 480 since 9 November, slowly moving down from 145 in line to 65 where I remained frozen for over three weeks...................:eek:

Then yesterday I was given the go ahead to send the card in for the exchange.
Traded my 480 for a 580 and 29 dollars.

I believe this "shortage" is merely manufacturing on evga's part.
There have been plenty of Galaxy, MSI and Gigabyte cards available all through December.
The only real product shortages have been seen with ASUS and EVGA.(shrug)

Same boat, though im at around 530 :( I almost fell out of my chair when I saw it dropped by around 100 on the 3rd though, woof. I wish they'd pull all that stock they have to sell and put it toward the Step-up queue! I want my 29 dollar 580 :D

GF110 is a smaller die than GF100, 530mm^2 instead of 550mm^2. Even if it's a new die and they have yet to perfect the manufacturing of it, it's just a modified GF100 die, that they've been producing for the last nine months. I would expect the availability to be better than it is.

where did you get the die size? I have heard several different ones for it. even so you not talking about a great difference in the number of chips per die. and as it is a new product they jumped right in for an early launch. several tech sites warned of this. and given their history of yields I doubt that they are going to have a lot of 580GTX chips. I do expect a LOT of 570GTX chips.

Back