Get another 7950 or wait for 9xxx series.

song414

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I bought a 7950 a couple months ago and its great for most of my games. I do however suffer from low fps in a select few games such as a heavily modded skyrim and crysis 3. I plan on getting games such as bf4, cod:ghosts, and watch dogs this fall and want a smooth 60fps for them if I can. I can offset some of the costs with cryptocurrency mining as my electricity is capped monthly.

Now I am going to upgrade at some point this year, but it is either going to be going xfire or getting a 9xxx card.

If I xfire, I will have to invest in another power supply as I will need 4 6-pin pcie power plugs whereas my 1000w antec psu has only 2 (its a few years old) along with another 7950. On the other hand if I buy a 9xxx series it will most likely be close to retail as they will just launch and will have a reference cooler as most aftermarket coolers come 1-3 months after so I will be waiting a little while. There is no indication as to how good it will be and most likely two 7950's will outperform the flagship card.

I never used xfire before so I am not sure if it is as simply as plugging the video cards in and both magically work for all games or if I have to tweak every game to get it to work. Is xfire beneficial or an annoyance?

SLI or going nvidia is not an option as I want to mine to recoup some of my expenses over the next few months.

I would buy the same make and model 7950 which is the sapphire dual fan 3L model.

What CPU you have? I doubt modded Skyrim is slowing down a 7950. Have you overclocked it at all btw?

Crysis 3 will push a 7950. A properly overclocked one (1200 mhz core) will manage ~40FPS maxed out at 1080p (FXAA) which is still very playable, but a few extra FPS would certainly help.

Crossfire would be the way to go (bang for buck) IMO. Nothing beats CF 7950s for value at the moment.

I have a 4670k o/ced and o/ced my 7950. Actually just bought another 7950 as newegg has mine for 177.99 AR along with the 3 free games. Couldnt pass that up lol.

My skyrim is heavily modded and I dip to as low as 16 fps. Crysis was 30-40 fps average.

I also have 16gb ram so that's not an issue with skyrim. Now I just need a PSU.

Been in the same boat myself but with some of the driver issues AMD has had with crossfire and micro-stuttering I have been waiting to see how the new beta driver works out. I also like to run eyefinity and have read the new driver fixed most of the issues for a single monitor but not much improvement in the eyfinity realm.

If you have a 1000w Antec PSU, why don't you buy a few cheap molex to 6 pin PCI-E adapters since you have more than enough power to run two 7950s.

Did that thanks. saved me some $$$. Is there any problem with the adapter like inconsistent power draw? I got a 2 molex to 2 pci 6+2 single adapter. I think ill put it on two different line molex's so the draw isnt on a single line.

Did that thanks. saved me some $$$. Is there any problem with the adapter like inconsistent power draw? I got a 2 molex to 2 pci 6+2 single adapter. I think ill put it on two different line molex's so the draw isnt on a single line.

no issues with using molex to PCI-E power adapters or converters.

Huh. You must have Skyrim modded to a hilarious extent. Lol at that 7950 price btw. Can I give a big middle finger to the US? :p How much is your is your 7950 overclocked? You won;t be able to have it heavily overclocked in CF. With good case airflow, I'm guessing 1000 - 1100mhz core.

Huh. You must have Skyrim modded to a hilarious extent. Lol at that 7950 price btw. Can I give a big middle finger to the US? :p How much is your is your 7950 overclocked? You won;t be able to have it heavily overclocked in CF. With good case airflow, I'm guessing 1000 - 1100mhz core.

Yeah that price is too hard to pass up haha. My 7950 is O/C'ed to about 1025/1300 without artifacting. I have good airflow and a full tower case with like 7-8 case fans.

My skyrim is really modded. I have like 50-70 mods that deal with graphics alone, plus an ENB of course. Looks amazing but my fps die. The ENB is what kills me though as I get max 60 fps most of time with it off and it dips over 50% with it on.

Quick skyrim question, I find my 3gb vram isnt enough for Skyrim fully modded. If I xfire, do I essentially get 6gb vram to work with?

Back