Get an app in XP to use more memory.

ziscwg

Limp Gawd
Can you get an application to use more memory upfront instead of continually reading from the hard disk?

I was trying to watch a DVD video I had transfered to on my laptop HD (No, I was not copyrighted). The video content was only about 1.8gb. I did all the things I know to reduce battery drain. I was thinking since I have 2 gb of memory, I could have the file put into memory and the HD would not be needed much. Thus, increasing my battery life. I got about 90 min on a 115 min video before my battery died.

I was using WinDVD7 as the player.

No, you cannot do that without the software developers writing the program to do that. This isn't something you just tweak and change it to your liking -- the video decode process is however the developers implemented it. If you don't like it, you will have to write your own software or find software that is to your liking.

Thanks for your help.

I was hoping it would be something I could tell XP to do. I was just an idea.

I have a few 2gb thumb drives. I may just put the video on that next time. I really don't want to have to lug another battery onto the plane. At $130 each, the extra battery just does not seem worth it.

RE RamDisk,
That maybe an option of smaller video files. Since I only have 2 gb on my laptop, using 1.8 gb for the RamDrive would not leave much for the OS and player.

If you're only getting 90 minutes of watching a video clip on a laptop, it sounds like you need to start blaming the laptop. Either you have a piss-poor battery, one that's going bad, or just a very very small capacity one. Even power hungry laptops I've used in the past could easily get through a DVD movie, read from the disc. I would try to find out if there's a way to calibrate the battery, or take a look at the laptop itself. It quite possibly was built with zero consideration to battery time. Either way, 90 minutes is horrible for any decent laptop.

If you're only getting 90 minutes of watching a video clip on a laptop, it sounds like you need to start blaming the laptop. Either you have a piss-poor battery, one that's going bad, or just a very very small capacity one. Even power hungry laptops I've used in the past could easily get through a DVD movie, read from the disc. I would try to find out if there's a way to calibrate the battery, or take a look at the laptop itself. It quite possibly was built with zero consideration to battery time. Either way, 90 minutes is horrible for any decent laptop.

Sounds like a 6-cell battery on an older laptop.

I could watch a typical movie from DVD on an old Omnibook 6000 laptop with a 6 cell battery. I couldn't make it through any of the Lord Of The Rings, mind you, but normal length movies are okay.

Back