Get 100GB Of OneDrive Storage For 2 Years For Free

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is a great deal if you are looking for cloud storage. Sure you have to sign up for Bing Rewards but 100GB of storage for two years is pretty tempting.

To get this mighty generous freebie (which is for US residents only -- sorry, rest of world), you need just one thing: a free Bing Rewards account. With that done, just head to your Bing Rewards dashboard, then click the "100 GB free" link. From there you simply need to agree to receive promotional OneDrive emails -- a small (and common) price to pay for that much space.

Now after 2 years you would have to pay whatever they are charging for 100GB at the time. They've got you, hook line and sinker. MS doesn't believe you would move all 100GB to another cloud provider after the trial is done, it would take too long. Brilliant marketing Microsoft, just brilliant.

Well I'm not sure of the details with Onedrive but I was once given a 50gb free for one year on dropbox, and after the year was up, all my files remained, I just couldn't upload any additional files.

Now after 2 years you would have to pay whatever they are charging for 100GB at the time. They've got you, hook line and sinker. MS doesn't believe you would move all 100GB to another cloud provider after the trial is done, it would take too long. Brilliant marketing Microsoft, just brilliant.

After 2 years it will be cheap as dirt...

Already have like 20 gigs on onedrive. Thanks for posting this I can upload the reset of my son's pictures for quadruple backup I have lol. Had an external drive get dropped by a cat and lost some unreplaceble stuff so now it's all stupid backed up lol

After 2 years it will be cheap as dirt...
You want something that's cheap as dirt?

Get a 1TB USB hard drive which is like $60. Put DD-WRT or OpenWRT on an existing router or buy a TP-LINK router which all basically supports OpenWRT. Setup a FTP through the router. Setup a free DNS through the router. BAM! Cheap 1TB storage that NoOne can see.

Wanna get sophisticated? Use your computer instead and setup a Plex or WebMedioPortal to have your own personal Netflix. Mine gives me access to ATSC and Cable box streams. Not that I watch live TV. I use an app for Android called AMPdroid to watch it, and VLC as an external player. All for free. I'm trying to see if I can do this on Linux with MythTV cause I'm extremely reliant on MediaPortal which is only on Windows.

Cloud storage is so 2000's.

Stolen from just about every photo hosting service and then Amazon.com before then. More of a copy-cat than brilliant, but definitely the idea.

Free storage is free. My e-mail already automatically routes their marketing messages to the spam folder, so I'm not really seeing the downside.

Get a 1TB USB hard drive which is like $60. Put DD-WRT or OpenWRT on an existing router or buy a TP-LINK router which all basically supports OpenWRT. Setup a FTP through the router. Setup a free DNS through the router. BAM! Cheap 1TB storage that NoOne can see.

Wanna get sophisticated? Use your computer instead and setup a Plex or WebMedioPortal to have your own personal Netflix. Mine gives me access to ATSC and Cable box streams. Not that I watch live TV. I use an app for Android called AMPdroid to watch it, and VLC as an external player. All for free. I'm trying to see if I can do this on Linux with MythTV cause I'm extremely reliant on MediaPortal which is only on Windows.

What if your house burns down or gets robbed? Sure, the equipment is worth less than $100 but what about the stuff on it? There's some stuff that I would like to keep off-site even though I have it backed up several times on-site.

Cool story bro. What happens when my home internet connection drops/IP address rolls when I'm a couple states away or the HD fails?

already have unlimited space due to office 365, but thanks for the heads up I have a few friends that could use it.

You're not respecting the power of off-site backups. True not everyone needs that but it's extra layer. Well this expands my 25GB i had for free to 125GB, now i guess i'll back up everything to it before i was only using 18 gigs of back-up now i wont hold back.

Since the account I use for OneDrive goes to an old Hotmail account I never actually check? I'm good.

Uhh hate to break it to you, but using FTP and a free DNS over the internet EVERYONE from your ISP to work IT dept to hackers to the state sponsored traffic monitors can see your creds and every file ever transferred to that endpoint over the internet. At least use FTPS with a unique cert you can identify or SCP. FTP is so 1990s.

Oh and it still solves exactly zero of the problems which require an offsite backup to begin with.

Back