German Scientists Invent Working Teleporter, of Sorts

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
In a tribute to Star Trek’s USS Enterprise’s Chief Engineer, Commander Scott, Scientists at the Hasso Institute in Potsdam, Germany have developed an actual working model of a transporter they affectionally call “Scotty” . The only problem with the process is it totally destroys whatever it scans and reassembles. It might take a few more tweaks before it's safe for Human transportation. :eek:

This reminds me of an episode of The Twilight Zone(the newer one), where they build teleporters for people. Instead of actually sending you anywhere it just vaporized you and then made a whole new copy on the other end.

This is not a teleporter by any mean what so ever this more like objects copier

This reminds me of an episode of The Twilight Zone(the newer one), where they build teleporters for people. Instead of actually sending you anywhere it just vaporized you and then made a whole new copy on the other end.

Is this the one with the dino telling the human to kill the original?

They should take a look at the occult research that Hitler performed when he was in power.

Well its a start! Since it is impossible to transport physical matter by converting it to energy and then back to matter in its prior form. This may be the only option down the road.
Imagine having this on a space station for example where a part fails and there is no replacement. One could be "printed" right on the station and problem solved. I think this is very exciting!

So it's really just a destructive way to blue print one object to create a file that can be sent to another 3D printer. A cool way to create a makerbot friendly file from a physical object. Not useful if you already have a template and definitely, in no way, a transporter.

Nothing at all if the item is replaceable and not a living being. As long as you can afford to lose the original, this process would be fine, but this is just the beginning and now the finite details have to be worked out which will be years, if not decades, to get to the point we see in the movies.

What's the difference between destroying then copying and teleporting?

wow they made a scanner! yay go science this is so impressive.... ok wake me up when we can actually send matter via some sort of containment stream.

This is actually a really neat idea, a way to replicate items without any plans or anything. Sure you have to destroy one but for cheap plastic parts that's pretty acceptable.

Normally I don't complain about stuff like this but it's not teleporting... at all. Sounds like the used the term to gain more attention for something it's not.

those final 3 "personal" sculptures that were replicated were a mangled mess.

The foot looked like it went through a paper shredder.

I would be impressed if this was a students project but that's about where my admiration of this product would end.. Maybe in a few revisions lol

Heh I always imagined teleport this way: You die an agonizing death being disassembled in your point of origin and get assembled atom by atom again in your new location without remembering a thing about the stages after 'transport'.

The only problem being that if teleportation would work this way, you could also create limitless copies of yourself. Or the girl you love - now there's a prospect! You could literally have a family in every town lol.

This isn't a transporter, but imagine the future... Full 3D printer where you could use this to deconstruct something and print multiple copies of it overseas. It would make transporting things like cars from Japan to the US a thing of the past.

those final 3 "personal" sculptures that were replicated were a mangled mess.
Was going to say something similar... hurray destroy the original, to make a copy out of plastic that looks like total garbage.

I get the whole reason it grinds things down is so that it can see the voids inside, but I think in most cases simply taking a laser 3d image shot of the object should suffice so you don't need to destroy the original.

This isn't a transporter, but imagine the future... Full 3D printer where you could use this to deconstruct something and print multiple copies of it overseas. It would make transporting things like cars from Japan to the US a thing of the past.

nope it will have to much drm and only allow one copy of a item

but it is a good start think of the day when you can order something and it prints out your printer

Teleporting? As has been said, by no definition of the word is this teleporting. It's a destructive scanner linked to a printer, nothing more. The fact they even call it teleportation reeks of attention-seeking.

The transporters in startrek worked on a similar idea conceptually, they basically destroy the original, store that data in some technobabble "buffer" because it's too much data for the ships computers to handle, and then reassemble it wherever it's being transported too.

Why is it destroying the object? 3d scanners have been out for years. In fact, Makerbot has one as an accessory for their printers.

But isn't that sort of how teleporting works? In sci fi I mean? You are deconstructed, turned into energy, then transported, then reconstructed?

The build isn't the same but it sort of does that.... without the energy part, and the transporting of the actual being, but information of that being.... Which, I admit, is the biggest part.

But in any case, yea, it's not teleporting.

Yeah pretty dumb... IMO I don't think there will ever be an actual teleporter, all of them have been based upon pretty much the same idea. Breaking down the original material, transporting and recreating. I think the most likely way of teleporting stuff would be something along the lines of creating 2 wormhole type phenomenon linked to each other and travel through that. So Stargate style I guess? Some reason that seems like it would be easier than trying to figure out how to break down biological stuff then send that stuff thru either a cable of some sort or spectrum range, capture the data perfectly and reconstruct it.

The hell was that. :mad:

I was wanting to see some quantum bits etc but no, they went full retard instantaneously.

Nothing at all if the item is replaceable and not a living being. As long as you can afford to lose the original, this process would be fine, but this is just the beginning and now the finite details have to be worked out which will be years, if not decades, to get to the point we see in the movies.
Let's imagine a machine much more sophisticated than this printer. It deconstructs an entire person in under a picosecond and perfectly remaps every molecule into the correct position. The original is destroyed still just like this current version.

Is this not good enough for a person to be teleported?

No thanks. I have seen what comes of this. It puts Mel Brooks' ass on backwards. Keep firing assholes!:D

Back