German Politician Threatens Facebook Over Online Hate Speech

HardOCP News

[H] News
Facebook better not mess around with the politicians in Germany. Those guys sound like they mean business and we all know how other countries like doling out those big ass fines to tech companies that are flush with cash.

A senior German conservative has warned Facebook it could face fines if it fails to act faster to tackle online hate speech, and he said the government could propose legislative measures in the new year. "I expect from big companies like Facebook that they adhere to laws. If they are not respected than we must think about new possibilities, fines for example," he said.

FB may just tell that guy, "Hey! When you find an account or FB page spouting hate speech, you send us the link and we'll look into it."

Social media posts never fair well on these forums. Remember, everyone being bullied or hated on is just a pussy. A lot of keyboard warriors seem to reside here.

Gear up boys ...

90b9263243659d3278a91895419fb029.jpg

"hate speech" can = criticism of the government in alot of countries (especially communist) ... or even false news etc. However at the same time the argument is also made...if they dont allow anon-posting why not punish the customer/culprit?

i'm not a fan of either... i'm more of a fan of companies censoring thier own products if it appeals to their customer base (which reacts pro/con based on what they are censoring). or as you did in ultima online !#%^!#^!#^!#^!##!

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Social media posts never fair well on these forums. Remember, everyone being bullied or hated on is just a pussy. A lot of keyboard warriors seem to reside here.
If you let comments get to you on the internet then you're a pussy. Unless its actual bullying like someone trying to ruin your life on FB or something of the sort. But if youve never met the person and they call you a fatass even though you are and you get mad, well then you need to get off the internet.

I am going to enjoy my 1st amendment rights until they are slowly taken away. Then I will enjoy my 2nd amendment rights.

A conservative politician wants to curb hate speech?
Best joke of the day!

Conservative has a different meaning in Europe. Their "right" is still left wing in USA terms. They don't really have a small government, individual rights, low taxes party.

And now that the DNC let Trump take the presidency. The "alt right" (white supremacist nazis) have been emboldened, and are coming out of their safe spaces to say how much they wish they could spew their hatred onto others without anyone standing up to the bullies. However it seems we should try to keep them online, apparently our pizza shops are in grave danger when these people leave the house!
"and are coming out of their safe spaces to say how much they wish they could spew their hatred onto others without anyone standing up to the bullies. The "alt right" (white supremacist nazis)will have to get in line, it seems the Democrats have first dibs on protesting, hooliganism and vandalism.

The only speech that should be banned is the speech that directly causes physical injury. You do not have the right to not be offended.
I'd expand that though, as slander doesn't cause physical injury, but it can unjustly ruin someone's reputation, and get them fired from their job or impact their business. Harassment is also real, if you were to blow up someone's phone or constantly try to track them and pester them and their family members and friends about you relentlessly on social media or use your influence over a group of people to get them to harass you relentlessly.

Beyond that though, yes the first amendment should allow people to speak their minds, and that is for the best anyway. We already have plenty of other laws on the books about threatening someone, so there was no need for additional legislation. If some inner city black gang is talking about targeting older white people for a knock out game, that's already illegal, so the fact that they aren't the same race really shouldn't matter.

And now that the DNC let Trump take the presidency. The "alt right" (white supremacist nazis) have been emboldened, and are coming out of their safe spaces to say how much they wish they could spew their hatred onto others without anyone standing up to the bullies. However it seems we should try to keep them online, apparently our pizza shops are in grave danger when these people leave the house!
The Alt Right know how to shitpost and that's the only significance they had in the past election. They could have stayed home and Trump would have still has a large lead in the electoral votes. The White supremacists in the Alt Right could have stayed home and the electoral count difference wouldn't have shrunk one vote.

Trump didn't win because the 'White Supremacists are on the march en masse'. Trump won because Hillary, as a candidate, and the 'Progressive' policies she carried, sucked and people rejected them both.

The "alt right" (white supremacist nazis) have been emboldened
Who is the "alt-right"? You realize that's not a real group, that is a term that was invented by some in the liberal media rather than some organized group that named themselves that, to try and create this scary strawman and throw their typical buzzwords at it "racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic", etc. per standard identity politics protocol to divide and conquer as Democrats have being doing for decades now.

And while the Republican Party has certainly changed and so you could say there is a new-right or alt-right or whatever you want to call it, they are in fact in many ways far more liberal than the older conservatives they are displacing, and far less white as the white population has become an increasingly smaller portion of the electorate (almost 10% smaller from 2004). The fact that this new right could rally behind Milo, a flamboyantly gay Jewish man who for a while at least was head moderator of the largest pro-Trump forum on the internet, is just case in point. They are socially liberal in a way that was quite normal and standard just ten years ago for Democrat voters, in that they are against perpetual warfare, for gay rights (or at least indifferent), pro-legalization, and are very much "live and let live" easy going, but fiscally conservative with a love for country, and desire for peace, order, unity, and prosperity as primary goals. And that's why Trump got far more of the minority vote than Romney, in spite of relentless attacks from Hollywood, the dishonest media, and even the "old guard" Republicans that were afraid he would hold true on his promise to "drain the swamp" and kick them out on the street.

Considering how after 8-years of Obama, the country has never been more divided, and the left has gone batshit crazy in many regards with political correctness and "PC bro" crybullies to an extreme with public disorder, violence, and destruction of property with police shootings and burning US flags while waving foreign ones, and normal people are done with all that... after all, remember that the right swept all branches of government, not just the executive.

Hate speech = Anything your EU overlords deem unacceptable to their culture destroying tactics.

Proud to be ignorant huh? You and the people who liked this bullshit opinion of yours that has nothing to do with reality. Hate speech is well defined under German law.

Inciting violence is hate speech. Tell me, are death threats considered protected speech where you live? No? Thought so.

Proud to be ignorant huh? You and the people who liked this bullshit opinion of yours that has nothing to do with reality. Hate speech is well defined under German law.

Inciting violence is hate speech. Tell me, are death threats considered protected speech where you live? No? Thought so.
Hillarious!
Death threats from one side, held accountable. Death threats from the other side, not so much.
Well defined? Seriously you jest my friend!

Hillarious!
Death threats from one side, held accountable. Death threats from the other side, not so much.
Well defined? Seriously you jest my friend!

What other side? Try to be more specific, mr. racist.

You have it all wrong about BLM! Openly chanting for the murder of police officers, looting local businesses, burning cop cars, blocking highway traffic, dragging Trump voters from their cars and beating them, these things are all done with LOVE in their hearts!

Now, WASPS claiming they live in sovereign nations with borders and immigration laws that should be enforced... THAT is hate.

It's funny how I am always "accused" of being black, arab, gipsy, etc. when I speak up against bigots like you on the internet. Always.

Welcome to my ignore list. Both of you, bigots.

Germany is fighting so hard to escape it's past that they don't even see the monsters they are creating.

One thing Germany and Facebook have in common is being very selective on the 'hate speech' they are banning.

I hope "illegal opinions" never become doctrine in the usa like it has in Europe. I'd like to think we haven't become that spineless... yet.

While Facebook is free to censor whatever they want (face it, this is calling for censorship), Facebook should be under no governmental obligation to do so. The fact that they give in to Chinese censorship is already bad enough.

Additionally, people should be free to express whatever opinion they want. The line is drawn when there is malicious intent to harm others, but rather than censoring posts, it should be reported to local law enforcement for a proper followup.

Hate speech is too broad of a term as used by the media, and both politicians and special interest groups, I mean oppressed minorities, capitalize on this to further their agendas. What is said does not matter, because who hasn't said stupid things when drunk or in the heat of the moment. It is the intent behind the words that matter, and rather than censoring it is far better for it to be in the open to keep track of the individuals. You don't want the FBI to break down your door everytime you yell "I'm going to kill you!" at the cheater that just killed you in Battlefield now would you?

Conservative has a different meaning in Europe. Their "right" is still left wing in USA terms. They don't really have a small government, individual rights, low taxes party.

We do in Europe, they just barely if ever get over the minimum voting limit.

In Denmark we have commercials from phone companies about speaking nicely. It is an issue that has to be dealt with one way or the other. Specially young people can be very prone to this bullying. Suicide cases for example have been seen around the world.

It's funny how I am always "accused" of being black, arab, gipsy, etc. when I speak up against bigots like you on the internet. Always.

Welcome to my ignore list. Both of you, bigots.
I don't see where either of them assumed you were any of those. "No girls on the internet" also applies to your race or other identity people try to push.

funkydmunky was citing the Black Lives Matter hashtag because the most outspoken members of the movement frequently make specific threats online and off and nothing ever happens to them. It was a direct response to your post and appropriate.

Apparently. #BLM

I don't see where either of them assumed you were any of those. "No girls on the internet" also applies to your race or other identity people try to push.

funkydmunky was citing the Black Lives Matter hashtag because the most outspoken members of the movement frequently make specific threats online and off and nothing ever happens to them. It was a direct response to your post and appropriate.

How was it appropriate? What does BLM has to do with neo nazi activity in Germany and the EU as a whole?

I get some people are on the edge but all that bile is entirely misplaced here. No parallels.

Who is the "alt-right"? You realize that's not a real group, that is a term that was invented by some in the liberal media rather than some organized group that named themselves that, to try and create this scary strawman and throw their typical buzzwords at it "racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic", etc. per standard identity politics protocol to divide and conquer as Democrats have being doing for decades now.

And while the Republican Party has certainly changed and so you could say there is a new-right or alt-right or whatever you want to call it, they are in fact in many ways far more liberal than the older conservatives they are displacing, and far less white as the white population has become an increasingly smaller portion of the electorate (almost 10% smaller from 2004). The fact that this new right could rally behind Milo, a flamboyantly gay Jewish man who for a while at least was head moderator of the largest pro-Trump forum on the internet, is just case in point. They are socially liberal in a way that was quite normal and standard just ten years ago for Democrat voters, in that they are against perpetual warfare, for gay rights (or at least indifferent), pro-legalization, and are very much "live and let live" easy going, but fiscally conservative with a love for country, and desire for peace, order, unity, and prosperity as primary goals. And that's why Trump got far more of the minority vote than Romney, in spite of relentless attacks from Hollywood, the dishonest media, and even the "old guard" Republicans that were afraid he would hold true on his promise to "drain the swamp" and kick them out on the street.

Considering how after 8-years of Obama, the country has never been more divided, and the left has gone batshit crazy in many regards with political correctness and "PC bro" crybullies to an extreme with public disorder, violence, and destruction of property with police shootings and burning US flags while waving foreign ones, and normal people are done with all that... after all, remember that the right swept all branches of government, not just the executive.

And again, the label thing is terrible.

I'm a small government guy, a State's Rights proponent, and many other things that add up to me being called a Republican or at least predominantly voting Republican. And then, somehow, because I'm labeled a Republican, I become a religious zealot who is anti-everything that's personal choice. I must be a Clanner, a racist who married my Korean wife and let my youngest daughter marry a Mexican for camouflage. I must certainly be against birth control and want all women back in the kitchen and I torture kittens when nobody's watching ;)

I mostly hate labels.

Back