German Government Says Stop Using Firefox

HardOCP News

[H] News
The German government issued a warning yesterday telling people not to use Firefox because of a critical vulnerability. The vulnerability has been fixed with version 3.6.2 but the larger question remains, isn’t it a bit odd to have your government playing browser police? Will they tell you not to use Firefox every time there is a vulnerability?

BürgerCERT, part of the German Federal Office for Security in Information Technology, is advising users to stop using Firefox until Mozilla can push a patch out to users to fix the vulnerability that it contains which could be exploited by hackers to run malicious code on users’ computers.

Wait, so the EU sues MS to give users a choice of browser (Firefox) then Germany tells users to stop using firefox. . . . . . . WTF

I'm still on Firefox 1.5 and won't be updating it anytime soon; ever really. Firefox 2/3 seem to be downgrades to 1.5 imo.

I like how youtube continually tells me my browser is outdated and I need to upgrade, yet everything works perfectly fine just as it did before.

At least they're even handed in their asineness. I thought it was pretty lame how they told people to stop using IE because of a 0-day back a few months ago, so I guess it's just fair to do the same for FF. But issuing an advisory every time a 0-day is found in a browser saying not to use that browser is pretty ridiculous, instead they should recommend people upgrade to modern OSes like Vista or Win 7 that are pretty much immune to 0-days because of things like ASLR and DEP, also IE on these OSes being sandboxed helps.

Warum koennen wir nicht Feurfuchs benutzen?! Wir lieben Feurfuchs!

Feurfuchs, Feurfuchs, ueber alles...

FYI, to match Germany, Firefox 3.6.2 was released. All updated and patched.

The only German I know is from Wolfenstein 3-D.

“Mein Lamen!”

Warum koennen wir nicht Feurfuchs benutzen?! Wir lieben Feurfuchs!

Feurfuchs, Feurfuchs, ueber alles...

I'll answer in English only because I don't have passed a 2nd grade education in German. They had concerns with Firefox 3.6 about some security holes and asked ppl to find an alternative until 3.6.2 was released next week. In response Firefox went ahead and released 3.6.2 early. I downloaded the update as soon as it was posted.

Our goverment constantly tells us bullshit like that. That's normal. We just don't give a fuck and thats it.

I'll answer in English only because I don't have passed a 2nd grade education in German.

Ha! Well, considering I have three years of German from college and that was the best I could do...glad to hear that they got it patched up quick.

They aren't exactly policing Internet users.. they're just "advising users" not to use the browser until the holes are patched (they are now). It's not like the Gestapo will come crashing through your door, guns blazing.

Well for many people this is the only way to get knowledge of something like this. The pros are not the target it is targeted at the people who don't give a shit about browsers and stuff. So the advice isn't that bad.

there are serveral other ways to protect you from stuff like this. Like proxomitron for example (works with every browser ther is)

In all fairness, they also told people to stop using IE during the Aurora exploit.

And for the record a group of white hats at RSA showed that Aurora could be used against a Windows 7 machine running IE 8 with DEP turned on.

/end

He said "pretty much" immune. Conveniently left that out, didn't we?

That really doesn't make his statement any less asinine. There will be exploits, period. Pretending otherwise is just dumb.

That really doesn't make his statement any less asinine. There will be exploits, period. Pretending otherwise is just dumb.

Yep even though you have DEP, sandboxing, virtualization, etc... that won't always be enough to stop the exploits. Also, plugins do not run inside the sandbox. Plugins like Adobe Flash and Reader. Then pile on the fact that major advertisers pump out Flash adverts with malware on a periodic basis. The whole idea of one website serving up unknown unverified content from another domain has to end. There will always be exploits, but you should at least be able to choose who you want to trust your machine with.

I guess people can read things any way they want :rolleyes:

And here I thought some of you were intelligent enough to know what he meant.

So do they plan on alerting people to stop using any piece of software that could allow hackers to run malicious code everytime something like that comes up?
There goes every browser at some version or another, Java, Flash, Acrobat...
Why be bias' to Firefox?

Oh Germany, always good for a laugh, "NO Firefox FOR YOU!".
If you don't understand the news just keep your mouth shut.

The only Thing they say is: Firefox actually has a major vulnarability you might consider switching to another brother till this is fixed"

That is everything they say here.

The last good laugh I had was Germans claiming their defeat of France and Poland proofed their military supremacy, all that ever proofed was that they were about to get their collective asses handed to them by the Americans. If anything the French proofed a long time ago that all it ever took to defeat them (besides civilians drunk on wine) was a bit of cold weather or a bunch of Mexicans. As for Poland, to we even need to go there.

Totalitarian once, Totalitarian again. I don't think you guys realize the reason this country, America was free was because it was created anew. As it sets in the rest of the global standard it is becoming the same in many senses. Freedom is not the standard.

The last good laugh I had was Germans claiming their defeat of France and Poland proofed their military supremacy, all that ever proofed was that they were about to get their collective asses handed to them by the Americans. If anything the French proofed a long time ago that all it ever took to defeat them (besides civilians drunk on wine) was a bit of cold weather or a bunch of Mexicans. As for Poland, to we even need to go there.

Please elaborate on your problems with Poland, as you think to be oh so strong.

Please elaborate on your problems with Poland, as you think to be oh so strong.

Google Poland joke and take your pick. I don't have anything against Poland per-say, but when your idea of a cavalry still consists of a man riding a horse as German Panzer cross your boarder, you have a problem. Same goes for the French when their idea of a uniform in WWII is bright red and blue.

Wait, so the EU sues MS to give users a choice of browser (Firefox) then Germany tells users to stop using firefox. . . . . . . WTF

Yeah this little irony didn't escape me either. Funny stuff. :D

Mein Lieben?

How could anybody that played that game forget the enemies shouting "Schutzstaffel!" :D

...not 'Lieben,' 'Leben.' Love and Life, respectively.

Unless he posted a typo. I can't remember that line from Wolf 3d, actually. The only one I remember is from the final boss: "GUTEN TAG!!!!" *brakka brakka brakka brakka*

This thread gets the "quickest degeneration" award. Seriously, the post quality in this thread is less than 9000. Much less. 9000 less than 9000. ZERO. :p

Back