Geohot brings back other OS support with PS3 3.21OO custom firmware

sirsnits

[H]ard|Gawd
Geohot brings back other OS support with PS3 3.21OO custom firmware

Well, Geohot promised a workaround for Sony's removal of the "install other OS" feature in PS3 firmware 3.21 and now Geohot has delivered. While it's not available to the public just yet, Geohot's 3.21OO custom firmware will apparently be simple to install and, as you can see in the video after the break, it works just as you'd expect and simply restores the "other OS" option to its previous place. Geohot even says that the custom firmware might actually enable the other OS feature on the PS3 Slim, but he hasn't yet had a chance to try it out.
Engadget
PS3 3.21 with OtherOS Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-9wLWQ4-uA&

Hmm, well since the guy was responsible for hacking the PS3 in the first place, he's now doing things to potentially get users banned outright? Missing something?

heh, I knew it

I'm waiting to hear from the people that said he wont be able to do it now lol

so release the custom firmware to peoples then...

heh, I knew it

I'm waiting to hear from the people that actually use Other OS

Mostly for running distributed processing apps like Yoyo@home or PrimeGrid. But also (when I get the time) for experimenting with development on the Cell processor / SPEs (it's the only machine I have capable of that).

It would be nice if he re-enable software BC :) and MKV support

It would be nice if he re-enable software BC :) and MKV support

how many times do you people have to be told? there was NEVER software ONLY bc on the ps3. first iteration had all the hardware of a ps2 in it, the second iteration only had the graphics chip i believe and did software emulation for the other chip.

the ps3 NEVER HAD SOFTWARE ONLY BC.

Do we care : No.
Stop sucking on geofags dick. You realize that it is because of him you lost your damned OOS support anyways, right?
Sums up this thread. Lock plz.

I'm almost certain it was because of Sony. Perhaps Geohot managed to hack it out of Sony's firmware release though... anything is possible I guess.

Do we care : No.
Stop sucking on geofags dick. You realize that it is because of him you lost your damned OOS support anyways, right?
Sums up this thread. Lock plz.

Oh please, not everyone here wants to install hacked software on their machine (i don't), its just news.

Let he who has not used illegal software cast the first flame.
Jesus_mac.jpg

So is it illegal to use custom firmware on a console to restore previously lost capability that is not enabling piracy ? Would Sony really brick a PS3 if they detected custom firmware running ?

So is it illegal to use custom firmware on a console to restore previously lost capability that is not enabling piracy ?

I guess it depends on how the exploit works. but probably no more so than running a modchip or custom firmware on other consoles/devices.

Would Sony really brick a PS3 if they detected custom firmware running ?
it's possible. Nintendo did with the Wii

Great job Sony - your OtherOS support and several other features (like media sharing without limits and more) convinced the hacker community into leaving you alone (Albeit, the cost of BluRay was a factor as well), but now you've really done it.

I have no problems with using custom firmware. I hope even "piracy" is enabled so that I can make a Final Fantasy XIII Undub. At current FFXIII includes English only vocals, even when Japanese audio exists. On The PS2, PSP, Wii and even X360 it is possible to remaster an ISO by inserting the Japanese sound data, replacing the US/EU release audio thereby creating a poor man's subtitled version (as the subs already exist in English for the hearing impaired).

If Sony wants to maintain their growth in installed base, they should NOT attempt the draconian hardware bans that Microsoft does for the Xbox. This "friendlier" approach pays off. Wii and PS2 both succeeded despite easy piracy, and some studies show, in fact because of it.

If you really think that guy wouldn't have continued to develop his exploit had Sony left OtherOS in it, you're just silly.

All the removal did was delay the progress while he figured out how to reenable it.

I'd love to be able to use my PS3 as a media center, ala XBMC. Built in bluray and plenty of power for DVR type activities would make it one killer home entertainment system. (not to mention all the games i already enjoy!)

So is it illegal to use custom firmware on a console to restore previously lost capability that is not enabling piracy ? Would Sony really brick a PS3 if they detected custom firmware running ?

Its probably not illegal, but piracy is, and that's usually the intention for modded systems.

But Some people just want a Linux machine.

I think Sony may have influenced the hacker community to target them by basically saying "you cant hack our machines", and that sounds like a challenge to me.

There are two workaround for forcing updates. One is set your DNS server to some guys who has a script that fools your PS3 and another is to download this proxy server and pipe your PS3 through your PC. Both methods let you run old firmware but still connect to PSN.

BTW it's your PS3 that detects what firmware version is needed, not PSN detecting your need to update. By spoofing the 'required firmware to log into PSN' to 0.00, every firmware version is considered updated and your PS3 will think it's OK to get on.

There are two workaround for forcing updates. One is set your DNS server to some guys who has a script that fools your PS3 and another is to download this proxy server and pipe your PS3 through your PC. Both methods let you run old firmware but still connect to PSN.

BTW it's your PS3 that detects what firmware version is needed, not PSN detecting your need to update. By spoofing the 'required firmware to log into PSN' to 0.00, every firmware version is considered updated and your PS3 will think it's OK to get on.

:):):)

Ah, the EU legality smackdown begins. I'm waiting for the announcement of the EU demanding the extra duty taxes on the ps3 now that it isn't a computer again.

http://kotaku.com/179245/why-the-ps3-is-a-computer-sony-dodges-euro-tax-men
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...L0zAAAAIBAJ&sjid=IuwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6187,5791823

In other news, Sony decides to stop shipping PS3's to the EU, deciding that less than 0.1% of their users are in that category and very few users will be affected.

Back