Genuinely Enjoying the new FFXV(Not a JRPGer)

piscian18

[H]F Junkie
I thought this was worth posting since I'm not in the JRPG club. I would go as far as to say I'm probably one of the more picky and cynical gamer's in general on H. My favorite games range more in the quality of development then what genre the game fits in. I like tight, consistent, balanced gameplay and a story that's engrossing but not too complex as to lack empathy. I got bored about 5-6 hours in Tomb raider, because they don't give you much reason to care about this idiot, I really dug Wolfenstein because of it's pacing, world design and grimness. Loved Walking Dead despite zero combat. I'm picky.

In regards to RPGs my favorites are FFVI, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Morrowind, Earthbound, Wizardry II&VIII. Infact I have not even finished a Final Fantasy game since FVII. For some reason I can't get into FFIX and literally every other final fantasy since has completely lost me in the translation and plot. Seriously go to the wiki for FFXIII and try to get behind whatever the hell they're talking about.

I bought FFXV because I was browbeaten into it by several co-workers and the statement that it was for Old school FF fans as well as new comers.

I was also warned that I should watch all the media related to it, as with it and it's predecessors, the plot presentation can bit difficult to fathom so I watched Kingsglaive and Brotherhood. Kingglaive was neat but not crazy interesting or necessary. I would even say it added unnecessary story. Brotherhood is free on youtube and worth watching because it gives you a depth of background for the main characters you play as. It's quick and painless like that Matrix animation film.

What I like about this game -

The plot is easy to understand and straightforward. The lore isn't even important. Worlds being taken over by the empire, your country is the last one standing, peace deal goes south and you're the prince of aforementioned city and must deal with it along with your handlers. That's it(so far). Classic Final Fantasy, even similar to 6& 7.

The characters are actually empathetic. One thing that's made me avoid FF for a long time is that all the characters are often obnoxious caricatures, like they took Kefka from FF6 and jamed him into every character in some way since. FF fans these days might not get that but every non-jrpger has an idea of what I'm talking about and why so many adult gamers quit JRPGs after SNES. This is where I say however it's worth watching Brotherhood. Both the main character and handlers benefit from some fleshing out especially Prompto, who is a bit obnoxious if you don't understand where he's coming from. If you watch brotherhood first you might, like me, actually want to boost him up and make him feel a part of the team. My only complaint is, WTF did square make the characters start out in ridiculous goth outfits? WTF is the audience for a main character running around the desert in rain boots? It doesn't even fit the tone of the characters. Thankfully you can immediately put normal clothes on these weirdos.

I'm really enjoying the combat. It feels more like an action game similar to devil may cry or Dynasty warriors. I like that I can win battles far beyond my level if I'm fast and use the right strategies. Maybe I'm just an idiot and playing wrong, but I'm having fun.

The RPG elements are classic and easy to understand. I especially like that you sleep to gain levels like in Wizardry, but mainly I'm talking about how the gear is simple, you aren't flooded with anything and the skill trees are easy to grasp. In FFXII which I tried to play recently, the equipment level system was this bizarre puzzle thing which immediately wore me out. I've pitched it like all the others. I also like that (so far) it feels like I can just speed through the plot if I want. I really haven't been forced to explore anything, though I have as the bounty hunting has been fun.

I think what I'm trying to say is that this feels like a reasonable actionish RPG with a fine story. For me RPGs and games in general feature too much downtime dicking around with minutia while not having a plot to care about. For instance I fucking hate "The Division" because you spend 90% of your time grinding for and managing garbage items to get some minor advantages in PVP and all you get is some vague shitty plot about repairing new york.

At any rate, regardless of how this turns out, as some one whos picky as hell and said fuck final fantasy for what 10+ years? I can safely say this one is worth a shot if you're holding out thinking it's more convoluted square garbage.

*runs before incoming flames over Division and FF*

Last edited:
Would like to try the game myself but it's not on PC and I would need to pay full price for another Final Fantasy game.

I would go as far as to say I'm probably one of the more picky and cynical gamer's in general on H.

You can say that again. ;)

Brotherhood is free on youtube and worth watching because it gives you a depth of background for the main characters you play as. It's quick and painless like that Matrix animation film.

Can't say enough about this, I think Kingsglaive is a little unnecessary, but if you've got roughly 2 hours to kill, it may be worth a watch. Brotherhood on the other hand is 5 smaller 12-18 minute videos, that are much more digestable/fun.

My only complaint is, WTF did square make the characters start out in ridiculous goth outfits? WTF is the audience for a main character running around the desert in rain boots? It doesn't even fit the tone of the characters. Thankfully you can immediately put normal clothes on these weirdos.

Actually laughed out lout at this, why is he wearing rain boots, seriously!?

I'm really enjoying the combat. It feels more like an action game similar to devil may cry or Dynasty warriors. I like that I can win battles far beyond my level if I'm fast and use the right strategies. Maybe I'm just an idiot and playing wrong, but I'm having fun.

I think you're definitely playing the right way, if the creatures don't VASTLY out level you, I think the game's designers do want people to try to outskill an enemy. It may take a while to take them down, but it'll be accomplished because you did things right. It's pretty neat, and I agree, having fun as well.

The game is definitely very welcoming, and not as complicated as games of past. Very "jump in and play" for sure.

I read that alot of the side quests are really grindy mmorpg-like. No story or even interesting parts for side quests. Just go get 10 of these and come back.

I read that alot of the side quests are really grindy mmorpg-like. No story or even interesting parts for side quests. Just go get 10 of these and come back.

If that's true, I haven't experienced it yet. All the side quests have at least something mildly-interesting tied to them. Then again, I may be immune to the "chores of grinding", having played WoW WAY too long.

Back