Gentoo router: Who else has made one?

DiceMann

n00b
I am just wondering for statistical reasons. I have Shorewall for simplification of netfilter rules, OpenVPN, BIND DNS, and Squid within the box. It took me about a full week and foodleling and messing around in order to get it properly functioning as a working router, and it was a pain sometimes, but it was well worth the effort.

I was just wondering if anyone took the plunge and tried something outside of Smoothwall, IPCop, and m0n0wall.

I used to use Slackware and a simple shell script. Currently I'm using OpenBSD though.

Shoo! BSD... Talk about going minimal! I guess you want pure and secure. I need to have my endless functions I get in Gentoo.

Well, it works for me and I find pf a lot easier to work with then iptables/netfilter.

you do know that FreeBSD and NetBSD have both ported PF over right? ;)

For a router you'd probably want something a bit more secure than your typical system, especially so if you plan on running extra services. While I've never run Gentoo Hardened on a router, it would be an excellent situation to use it. G-H SELinux is also an option if your ultra-paranoid, theres also TrustedBSD and OpenBSD as viable options if you prefer the BSD way of things.

Back