Gentle Typhoon 3000rpm version: fan connector?

raminux

Limp Gawd
I just bought two of these fans to put them on the CPU heatsinks. I already had the 1850rpm versions which had a 3-pin connector I could use to connect them to the motherboard. The 3000rpm however have a bizarre type of connector: the red and black wires have a 4pin molex connector at the end to be connected to the PSU while the yellow wire just by itself has a 3pin connector to be connected to the motherboard.

My main question: with such configuration, can the system still control the fan speed according to the need?

Or, to have the fan speed being controlled by the system, do I have to move the red and black wires to the 3pin connector which plug into the motherboard? Is there a problem with connecting all three wires to the motherboard?

Last edited:
The 3000rpm however have a bizarre type of connector: the red and black wires have a 4pin molex connector at the end to be connected to the PSU while the yellow wire just by itself has a 3pin connector to be connected to the motherboard.

It's set up like this because the fan can draw more current than the standard 3pin is rated for. The single yellow-wire 3-pin housing is so that you can still monitor the rpms.

My main question: with such configuration, can the system still control the fan speed according to the need?

Nope. Not unless you plug the power connector of the fan into some controller. I

Back