General question Intel i3 7100 versus i7 2600k

imre

Limp Gawd
Hi, i am trying to determine if the i3 in terms of power usage and also performance would be better than the i7 2600k
I don't know how to overclock the i7 2600k i have which is on a gigabyte board with old school Award Bios
I changed the X34 multiplier to x38 and tested performance in windows but i dont see much difference.
I am sure it can be overclocked more i dont seem to understand the voltage section in the bios.....VDDC and all those items.
there was also a dynamic one with a range...didnt get that either.

Anyways, just to know if the i3 7100 v would be better than the i7 2600k.

It will be better in single threaded loads, but nothing else. In everything else it will be mostly a downgrade.. if you will be doing gaming it will be a crap experience, i3s are not for gaming..

About oc'ing if you wanna keep the Easy route just set the vcore at 1.45v and keep increasing the cpu multiplier until it crash under stress.. it can probably be around 4.7 - 4.9ghz at that voltage.. which are gona make a huge difference in all workloads specially gaming

It will be better in single threaded loads, but nothing else. In everything else it will be mostly a downgrade.. if you will be doing gaming it will be a crap experience, i3s are not for gaming..

About oc'ing if you wanna keep the Easy route just set the vcore at 1.45v and keep increasing the cpu multiplier until it crash under stress.. it can probably be around 4.7 - 4.9ghz at that voltage.. which are gona make a huge difference in all workloads specially gaming

So i posted tihs in CPU , but would this be ideal for Mining? and also for Power consumption as a plus? I am just unsure though on performance.
I cant find bugger all benchmark sites for mining, except a monero one where people upload their stats but those to me are far from the amount of CPUs that are available and also stock and non-overclocked stuff

So i posted tihs in CPU , but would this be ideal for Mining? and also for Power consumption as a plus? I am just unsure though on performance.
I cant find bugger all benchmark sites for mining, except a monero one where people upload their stats but those to me are far from the amount of CPUs that are available and also stock and non-overclocked stuff

Take what I say with a grain of salt since this is the accumulation of what I've heard. For mining you will need GPU. I do not believe the CPU is use for much of anything in that case. Depending on the crypto even GPU might not return enough for the power used. People have moved to specialized chips that do only mining. But like I said take what I just said with some salt. I never did get into mining so its all 2nd and 3rd hand knowledge.

Take what I say with a grain of salt since this is the accumulation of what I've heard. For mining you will need GPU. I do not believe the CPU is use for much of anything in that case. Depending on the crypto even GPU might not return enough for the power used. People have moved to specialized chips that do only mining. But like I said take what I just said with some salt. I never did get into mining so its all 2nd and 3rd hand knowledge.
I hear you, i was assuming it was a must as an added benefit, but i also was telling myself that i should just forget about motherboard and cpu upgrades since they just cost extra especially when considering Intel, its ridiculous. I also dont believe all Intel CPUs are amazing with performance. ASIC and ANT Miners are the ones being used primarily for BITCOIN but i am not really focused on BITCOIN since it is extremely difficult to mine and you need the tom for the initial setup, lot of it.
For me i considered the junior league so i was told to mine alt coins where it is more possible to mine BUT still very challenging since the train is moving faster and faster every week.
I am just not really happy with my AMD X4 860 k because it is not really a quad core like it is advertised on some sites.
I have an old intel i7 2600k which was given to me and that thing is twice as fast as my new AMD which is amazing.
I was told though that they are really old and i should consider a new socket Intel CPU.
So , based on power consumption which is roughly 60 watts on the i3 , and based on the clock speed of 3.9 ghz , although it is only 2 cores and 2 threads per core.... i was considering trying this out for Mining or rather as a means of making sure i break even... kind of thing.

Maybe it is totally unnecessary and my focus should JUST be the GPU and maybe i can check how to OC the i7 2600k i have.... I have tried but failed , pushed the multiplier from 34 x to 38 x , so it is faster on paper, but when i run a benchmark it seems the same, very odd. Using a Gigabyte board with the old school dos style Award Bios.

Back