General pcie-4.0 question

fightingfi

2[H]4U
why isnt intel jumping in on the pci-e 4.0 stuff like amd is? Is it because its going to short lived or so i was told\heard?

Wouldnt Intel wanna make more money by doing this anyway and being competitive?

The best rumors I can find point to say the 10nm problem is delaying everything else.

They may have axed PCIe 4.0 until 2020 so they can get 10nm out in quantity by the end of the year.

There's nothing stopping them from releasing 4.0 in a refresh. It's what they did with 3.0 on the mainstream platform. They will be a little late, but not to late.

Remember: all those years of Piledriver sales didn't slow down just because it was all PCIe 2.0.

Last edited:
why isnt intel jumping in on the pci-e 4.0 stuff like amd is? Is it because its going to short lived or so i was told\heard?

Because their management team is a mega-sloth conglobulated greed-mongering clusterf*ck, thats why....

They think 'cause they have more money than God, they can just screw around and do whatever they want whenever & however they want :(

Prove me wrong, and I'll send you a smiley gift completely free of charge, hahahaha

And FYI, 10nm is NOT the issue here, regardless of what some people insist on believing...

So PCI-E 4.0 is "late" and intel will likely be skipping 4.0 and move dirrectly to 5.0

" Intel’s new Compute eXpress Link technology, which builds upon the PCIe 5.0 physical standards. CXL is Intel’s own cache coherent connect, set to work alongside (or compete, depending on who you ask) with GenZ and CCIX. Given Intel’s comments on CXL, it’s clear that when PCIe 5.0 is ubiquitous, it intends to bring its add-in card portfolio to run either on CXL, PCIe 5.0, or both."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14149/intel-agilex-10nm-fpgas-with-pcie-50-ddr5-and-cxl

So PCI-E 4.0 is "late" and intel will likely be skipping 4.0 and move dirrectly to 5.0

" Intel’s new Compute eXpress Link technology, which builds upon the PCIe 5.0 physical standards. CXL is Intel’s own cache coherent connect, set to work alongside (or compete, depending on who you ask) with GenZ and CCIX. Given Intel’s comments on CXL, it’s clear that when PCIe 5.0 is ubiquitous, it intends to bring its add-in card portfolio to run either on CXL, PCIe 5.0, or both."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14149/intel-agilex-10nm-fpgas-with-pcie-50-ddr5-and-cxl

in.... 2021 and will most likely be used for server/enterprise only until 2022. so no it's not really late.. it'll co-exist with pcie 5.0 for a while.

PCIe 4.0 was slated to be on intel's 10nm. whether or not it happens who knows but i'd expect it to be used on the first gen 10nm(not that crap sold in china).

No one bought Piledriver because of cutting edge features, lol

Oh yes like having two cores share one FPU, smooth one AMD, no one bought piledriver because a intel CPU with half the cores was kicking there ass... man am I glad the piledriver/bulldozer days are over

Reactions: mikeo
like this

Wouldn't Intel wanna make more money by doing this anyway and being competitive?

Probably;y waiting until they need to launch a new mother board chipset that supports it & new generation of CPU's. Just like AMD's older chipsets will not support PCIe4.0. May also be waiting until they have their own discrete GPU before saying something?

i dunno buth with NVME drives on PCI 4.0 reaching nearly 6GB a second read/write, I'm in lololol

Let's say that today I go out and get a medium or high-end graphics card. Or else an NMVe SSD wuith PCI-E rather than ACHI. Will these devices automatically run faster on PCI-E 4 than a current PCI-E 3 motherboard? Or, to take full advantage of a PCI-E 4 motherboard, I need to get cards or SSDs specifically designed for v4?

Let's say that today I go out and get a medium or high-end graphics card. Or else an NMVe SSD wuith PCI-E rather than ACHI. Will these devices automatically run faster on PCI-E 4 than a current PCI-E 3 motherboard? Or, to take full advantage of a PCI-E 4 motherboard, I need to get cards or SSDs specifically designed for v4?
If you are saturating the upstream bandwidth from the chipset and don't have your video card in a slot directly connected to the CPU, then maybe. Otherwise, probably not.

Intel is pursuing the race to AI. The 10th gen is hardware ready for AI.
Intel was on hunt with its R&D to overcome Graphical AI war with Nvidia. Intel is still nm behind and will definitely be working on PCI Gen 5 uptill 2021. This is mainly due to Data Center business which Amd is on verge to capture.

I'm not sure I understand the point about AI. But I do understand that there are big, fat profit margins for the Data Center business with Xeon processors.

x509

Back