General Hardware in the middle of the page?

lorcani

2[H]4U
General Hardware should be the forum that gets the most traffic. It appeals to the widest audience. However, traffic is surprisingly low. The videocard forum (which is at the top of the screen), for example, currently has 42 people viewing (at 2:44AM EST). G[H] has 6 people viewing. I know this isn't exactly a scientific study, but it seems logical (at least in my mind) that General Hardware should be at the top of the list. I think that's where it was before you fixed the forums. This doesn't seem to me like a change that should be too difficult, but I think it would make a lot more sense than the way you have it set up now.

Thank you.

It's a plot, I tell ya. :p

When it was at the top, all people ever seemed to notice was the word "general" and then they posted anything and everything there. A tremendous amount of time was spent moving threads from GH to the correct forum. That's gone way down without GH at the top. :)

Lethal said:
It's a plot, I tell ya. :p

When it was at the top, all people ever seemed to notice was the word "general" and then they posted anything and everything there. A tremendous amount of time was spent moving threads from GH to the correct forum. That's gone way down without GH at the top. :)

Good idea, but what about people needing general troubleshooting? Could you make a troubleshooting forum, or make it a subforum in G[H]?

that's a lot of what goes on in GH already, I don't think it needs its own subforum though.

too many subforums is a bad thing.

Ch1m3r4 said:
that's a lot of what goes on in GH already, I don't think it needs its own subforum though.

too many subforums is a bad thing.

Then make it a separate forum. All that troubleshooting doesn't really fit with G[H], as general hardware sound to me like a place to discuss components that don't fit anywhere else. :D

yes, i too used like it better when general [h]ardware was at the top, please change it back!

I agree with it being at teh top

also, G[H] , to me anyways, seems like a place to discuss general hardware.

A "Troubleshooting" forum or sub forum off of G[H] isn't such a bad idea either

General Hardware is basically now a forum for general discussion, hardware diagnostics and peripherals (imput devices, printers, etc) since the sub forums take much of the load off of GH, which is exactly what the intention was. So far it is performing the way we thought it would :)

I like the new way. Things are where they are supossed to be. To me general hardware is where you put threads that don't fit a specific forum. therefore having it towards the bottom seems very logical.

MajorDomo said:
General Hardware is basically now a forum for general discussion, hardware diagnostics and peripherals (imput devices, printers, etc) since the sub forums take much of the load off of GH, which is exactly what the intention was. So far it is performing the way we thought it would :)

What is your opinion on a separate troubleshooting forum, and placing that at the top? By placing it at the top, it gets the most observance, as it should, since that's a forum to solve problems, versus replace the problem parts with more expensive, bleeding-edge ones. :)

My opinion (and it is only my opinion) is that any forum that is not very specific such as diagnosis/trouble shooting placed at the top od the list will end up just like GH did with off topic post in every flavor, not as bad of course, but still a forum that would require added moderation to move the off topic posts. As I said before, it is working well the way it is and will get heavier usage when members get more used to the new arrangement. :cool:

MajorDomo said:
My opinion (and it is only my opinion) is that any forum that is not very specific such as diagnosis/trouble shooting placed at the top od the list will end up just like GH did with off topic post in every flavor, not as bad of course, but still a forum that would require added moderation to move the off topic posts. As I said before, it is working well the way it is and will get heavier usage when members get more used to the new arrangement. :cool:

Alright. I see your point, but how could people justify placing random posts in Troubleshooting (which has a purpose other than miscellany) as people justify placing random posts in G[H]? I hope your right about it getting better with the new arrangement, because I've had a serious issue with a motherboard that took me ages to solve, and the thread didn't get that many hits. :rolleyes:

I think there are enough seperate forums as it is. Everyone keeps asking for subforums, and too many of them makes you feel crowded...

Maximus825 said:
I think there are enough seperate forums as it is. Everyone keeps asking for subforums, and too many of them makes you feel crowded...

Subforums are a bit confusing, but I think my point stands: troubleshooting != miscellaneous hardware doodads. Here's 3 examples of where to place a thread (I suck at making names :rolleyes: ):

1) Michael Stread wants to know which card is better, Radeon 9600 128Mb, or a Radeon 9600 256Mb. This would fit in the Video Cards > ATi because it's about video cards, and he is comparing 2 ATi cards. If he had a issue with the drivers, he would also put it there.

2) John Drewick is looking for first hand opinions on the Coolermaster Musketeer. He should post in G[H], since his post doesn't fit anywhere else.

3) Eric Matthews is having trouble with his new system. He isn't exactly sure what it is, and can't narrow it down to just the RAM, just the motherboard, or anything else. He needs this system ready for a customer by tomorrow, so he needs answers, and FAST. He would only be able to post in G[H], because he has a specific issue that can't be solved by just making a post in a specific forum.

John Drewick should always post that question in G[H]. Eric Matthews could benefit from a troubleshooting forum, at the top of the list. That way, he gets maximum exposure, and minimal confusion.

Anyone else seeing the benefits of my system other than me? Of course, the final decision is up to Kyle and the moderators, but I think this is worth a shot. :)

lorcani said:
2) John Drewick is looking for first hand opinions on the Coolermaster Musketeer. He should post in G[H], since his post doesn't fit anywhere else.

Well... most of the questions about cases naturally get asked in Case Modding

I think we should just wait and see if it becomes a problem with a lack of readership of G[H]. The amount of people reading a forum is also proportional to the amount of threads/new content. So, since a lot of the content got sepearated out from G[H], shouldn't we expect less activity in there?

I agree that G [H] should be near the bottom, but I don't think Video Cards should be at the top, since it's not really a 'vital' component. I'd prefer Processors to be at the top. But then again, I'm not a big gamer, so my feelings are probably way off from how most people here feel.

lorcani said:
Subforums are a bit confusing, but I think my point stands: troubleshooting != miscellaneous hardware doodads. Here's 3 examples of where to place a thread (I suck at making names :rolleyes: ):

1) Michael Stread wants to know which card is better, Radeon 9600 128Mb, or a Radeon 9600 256Mb. This would fit in the Video Cards > ATi because it's about video cards, and he is comparing 2 ATi cards. If he had a issue with the drivers, he would also put it there.

3) Eric Matthews is having trouble with his new system. He isn't exactly sure what it is, and can't narrow it down to just the RAM, just the motherboard, or anything else. He needs this system ready for a customer by tomorrow, so he needs answers, and FAST. He would only be able to post in G[H], because he has a specific issue that can't be solved by just making a post in a specific forum.

John Drewick should always post that question in G[H]. Eric Matthews could benefit from a troubleshooting forum, at the top of the list. That way, he gets maximum exposure, and minimal confusion.

Anyone else seeing the benefits of my system other than me? Of course, the final decision is up to Kyle and the moderators, but I think this is worth a shot. :)

i agree with you. I think a Troubleshooting forum @ the top of the list would be of great benefit to everyone, it would allow new computer builders (such as myself) to get questions answered faster (which would allow newer users/members to post more in other areas, such as the other sub-forums, thereby increasing the quality of the Forum as a whole.

indeed.., let's look at it this way:

user Carnival Forces just set up his new comp. it's a beast of a system, yet it still gets conquered by the BSOD of WindowsXP, and freezes randomly; additionally, only his subwoofer is outputting sound, not his speakers.

his problems could range from:
1)Motherboard
2)RAM
3)Speakers
4)Optical (analog audio extractor)
5)CPU (he got a Prime95 Error :)()

so, places he could post:
1. Motherboard Forum
2. RAM
3. Computer Audio Forum
4. AMD Forum (he has an A64 3200+)
5. Disk Stoarge Forum
6. General Hardware

he has currently posted in 2 areas, therefore he has 2 times the strain on the [H]ard servers, b/c he has 2 diff. posts

if there were a Troubleshooting forum he could consolidate into ONE post, cutting IN HALF the strain on the server, and getting MORE EXPOSURE which means his ONE thread would be RESOLVED quicker, taking away from server strain, also, leading to him becoming more active quicker in the Forums, as his problem was resolved better, faster.

just my 0.02

Back