Gen 3 ryzen time to retire X58?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
My old T3500 is chugging along still with an W3680 which will software overclock to 4.0 ghz Still keeps up with a 1070 at 1080p for the most part. BUT it gets hot. Not hot for the system, but heats the room a ton. January ends Win 7 support and the main reason I've kept this thing. I did activate Win 10 on it though so it will activate again.

Is an R5 3600 the way to go? Could I pair this with a cheaper B450 and have it decent? I still need to keep the T3500 functional due to my tape backup system. But I could put a W3503 in it and a single slot gpu and run it with the server in the other room.. I do need a case with a front 5.25" bay if it still exists

I'm still on a 60hz panel as well which is fine to me. Gaming at max gets 45-60 frames on demanding games. 60 frames locked on most I play

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-W3530-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/m3000vs4040

an "on paper" gain of over 100% and looking at the numbers listed sounds about right.

will be faster in more or less everything A
FAR more modernized B
C use less electricity for that speed therefore cooler as far as heatoutput to the room itself
D and beyond there are many other reasons

either way, I know for my recent Ryzen 3600, I faced a similar "gut check" and decided to jump from Phenom II @ 45nm to Zen 2 @ 7nm ^.^

you SHOULD be able to pair with a B450 (such as MSI gaming pro carbon .. probably the best overall for all of the x4xx gen boards IMHO .. pair it with a Ryzen 2xxx and be happy, Zen 2 that is 3xxx may or may not be a "drop in and use" 3rd gen 2nd and 1st will work "perfect" on a 2nd gen board(provided the BIOS is ready for it granted)

the 3rd gen boards on the other hand only see their full benefit from 3rd gen Ryzen...likely to use 3rd gen chip in 2nd gen board it may or may not need a "bootkit" i.e using a cpu that works on the board right off the bat, do your installs etc, swap the cpu to the one you want/need to use.

in other words, if want simple, stick with Ryzen 1xxx or 2xxx on 1st or 2nd gen AM4 (x3xx or x4xx) if plan on using a 3rd gen (unless the APU ones as they are 2nd gen based at this point) you would be best off looking @ the x5xx lineup, most boards are more pricey then previous, yes, but there still are some very "no frills" motherboards for x5xx lineup (as well as crazy $$$$$$$ offerings)

Last edited:
Only 52% faster with the W3680 and a R5 2600 is only 28% faster. Way more power efficient

I figured I'd need a bootkit. Newegg has a couple 2200G bundles with decent $80 range B450's in the $150 for the bundle range. But an Asrock X570 Phantom gaming looks like a real nice board for $150. I know I could resell a 2200G for $50 but the X570 is probably a better idea

Honestly I’d stick with a b450 and see if someone can send you a 2200g here on the forum. I saw a few threads with people helping.

Or you can always look for a used b450 here. I’ve seen a ton of 4 series gear for cheap.

I think some of the MSI motherboards you can flash the bios without a cpu installed so you can use Ryzen 3000 with them.

I am in a similar situation.

I have been with my x5650 system for a long time, just moved back to Hawaii, and since I will be paying my own bills now (electricity is $0.35 kwh) I figured its time to go SFF and more power efficient.

Picked up an Amazon warehouse MSI B450 itx board, some ddr4 and a 2600.

my x58 build will finally be retired, I was going to go Ryzen 2, but I wanted to be cheap.

Hmm, so the MSI's with the Bios Flashback+ are the boards to have for this I see ( no CPU bios flash ). Now the question

Is the Tomahawk worth the extra money, or is the Gaming Plus good enough? I kind of like the red and black versus the charcoal. I'm just looking to get the 50% faster vs my current setup. No crazy overclocking. It will be in a nice but cheaper case and won't use any M.2 drives. Just SATA SSD for boot and spinners for storage

From what I've read the Tomahawk has good VRM's compared to other boards. Is that worth an extra $20? I don't know probably it is.

The A- Pro, Gaming Plus and Tomahawk all use the same VRM with a the Tomakawk having a very slightly better heatsink. The A-Pro and Gaming plus are basically the same except color

Yeah it was a good run. I built the thing in 2016 complete with an X5670, 12gb of ram and a brand new GTX 1060 6gb for under $500. It's been through a lot and now having the W3680 that I can push to 4.0 GHZ and the 1070 that it can almost keep up with at 1080p. I have zero real need to build a new computer except now where I can get a 50% boost at half the wattage

The A- Pro, Gaming Plus and Tomahawk all use the same VRM with a the Tomakawk having a very slightly better heatsink. The A-Pro and Gaming plus are basically the same except color

You will scalp more headshots with the Tomahawk heh. I'll get my coat.

You will scalp more headshots with the Tomahawk heh. I'll get my coat.

I did find the Tomahawk for $114, so it would be about a $10 difference. But Newegg has some 3600/X570 bundles that have $25-30 discounts and potentially ends up only $30 more going X570 vs B450. Hard choice really

If it helps, I was eyeing the Tomahawk realllll hard until I found a used X470.

PCIe 4.0 won't be needed for a long time and the Tomahawk BIOS is already quite mature.

I'll probably just get the Tomahawk since it's pretty much gold standard

I came up with this. I have to retire the other X58 system as well... This Ryzen 2600 system is pretty much $200 cheaper than a 3600 system would be without a hassle IE having to wait on a boot kit from AMD to use a cheaper mobo. I can kick the 2600 to the other computer and get cheaper mobo's doing so. Not that the Tomahawk is bad. But I actually want to go MATX this time around and this board is pretty solid
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TVBtcY

The 3600 build is sound but spend a couple extra bucks and up the RAM speed to 3200.

(AMD loves fast RAM)

The 3600 build is sound but spend a couple extra bucks and up the RAM speed to 3200.

(AMD loves fast RAM)

Yeah, I noticed after I published that it was only 2,400 mhz. Crucial Ballistix Sport 3,000 mhz is $70 for 16 gb. few dollars difference

I just bought the A- Pro full ATX mobo for $80 on the Egg. sale was expiring soon and it was $20 cheaper than I had seen it before. I don't need fancy lights or anything. It specs the same as the Gaming plus without the RGB, and I confirmed they share the same VRM.

Back