GeIL Ultra 2GB DDR 400 (PC 3200) $194.49

CooLSpoT

Limp Gawd
I was going to get MUSHKIN 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory
Capacity 1GB (2 x 512MB)
Speed DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Cas Latency 2
Timing 2-2-2
ECC No
Registered/Unbuffered Unbuffered
Heat Spreader Yes
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146355
for 204.55

But I saw this
GeIL Ultra 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory
Tech Spec
Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Speed DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Cas Latency 3
Timing 3-4-4-8
ECC No
Registered/Unbuffered Unbuffered
Heat Spreader Yes
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144322
for $194.49

Question is will my ram be a bottleneck for my system if I go with the crapy Cas Latency 2GB? (see sig for system sepcs) I dont plan on do much OCing with the 2GB
I should just go with the 2GB and I wont notice any issues rigth? its a hell of a price

Whats faster 2GB with high Cas 3-4-4, or 1GB or 2-2-2

I want to be able to run Battlefield 2 at full specs.

You should be able to run those 1GB sticks at 3-3-3-8 because thats what most 1GB value sticks can run.

USMC2Hard4U said:
3-4-4-8

ewww.....
I would take 2-2-2-6 any day over 3-4-4-8....

The difference between 2-2-2-5 and 3-4-4-8 is usually around 2-3% so its not like you could actually tell the difference. And 2 1GB modules should be able to run 3-3-3-8.

should != will ;)

but you're right on the point about the timings, it's difficult to say whether or not the patriot ram is worth the $50 for the tighter timings. the way i see it, it's a single channel setup. the timings will make more of a difference than they do on the dual channel rigs that we always see these memory latency/speed comparisons on, thus making the more expensive ram somewhat justifiable

I think he's asking which will make the most difference/improvement in gaming performance or overall performance.

2gb of 3-3-3-8 Geil or 1 gb of 2-2-2-6 running on a single channel S754 board?

All answers thus far are a bit ambiguous (at least to me). I would offer my opinion, but Eclipse will just shoot me down ;) since I really don't/won't care too much about my memory until I get some decent memory, run a dual channle setup, and get a better mobo (K8VSEDX is teh suck for OC'ing anything).

hahaha, why would i shoot you down when you're essentially agreeing with me? :D
(or at least i think you are? :))

so once and for all...which setup will offer the best performance?

Eclipse, I accept my relative ignorance of memory, I know the basics, I read and understand the faq, I know my board will always suck ass, and I'll never see dual channel until I graduate and can afford a new computer.

The reason I hate my mobo so is b/c I can't set the mutliplier, the board will only run my Kingston HyperX PC3200 (512x2) at 3-3-3-8, anytime I try to change the timings it doesn't boot (tried pretty much all combinations, including upping ddr voltage). They only time it will boot is if I leave it on auto, I can only up the bus speed, mult is stuck at 11 so ram dividers don't help me.

K8VSEDX sux teh b1g 0n3!!!!11!!!

ouch, that totally sucks :(

and 2x1gb patriot ram @ 2-3-2 would offer best performance of the three choices in almost every single situation

burningrave101 said:
The difference between 2-2-2-5 and 3-4-4-8 is usually around 2-3% so its not like you could actually tell the difference. And 2 1GB modules should be able to run 3-3-3-8.

I notice a big difference between 1.5-2-2-12 and 2.5-3-3-8 in everyday things like web browsing and multitasking.

robberbaron said:
I notice a big difference between 1.5-2-2-12 and 2.5-3-3-8 in everyday things like web browsing and multitasking.

How could you notice a big difference in web browseing and multitasking when all benchmark results show on average a 2-5% performance difference between the best and worst timings?

2GB of RAM will make a huge difference compared to timings in web browseing and multitasking. Windows XP and applications will run more fluently.

think of it as the dual core arguement. actual performance doesn't change much (read: benches that stream data more than randomly request it), but the lower latency helps responsiveness with multitasking. while it's probably not a lot, it's very possible that it's somewhat noticeable ;)
also, remember that all those benches that you refer to are on a dual channel setup, which aren't memory performance limited in any way. it can be argued that a single channel setup, such as baron's is more sensitive to timings

Back