Geil, Corsair vs Others Ram for A64 3500+

nismohks

Limp Gawd
Ok about to put together a new Pc and was wondering what Ram should i get. i need 1GB and am planning to get the matched pairs of 512 from the companies such as the:

PC-3200 1024MB GeIL 184-pin DDR SDRAM CAS 2.5 w/blue heatspreader, 2x 512mb sticks

PC-3200 1024MB Corsair TwinX 184-pin DDR SDRAM CAS 2 (2x512MB sticks) 400mhz w/aluminium heatspreader

Or what other brands should i consider? which is the best, considering reasonable budget.

btw gonna get A64 3500+ 939 and prob a MSI K8N MB

thanx

Corsair, mushkin, ocz are considered to be the best on the market, geil take second place to them. Out of them, most kudos go to Corsair.

and u really shouldn't go for 2.5 cas memory, A64s love low-latency memory, and gain much more speed from it than p4s, for example (those love bandwidth more).

I have that Geil memory in my MSI Neo2 with a 3500 winnie and it works fine. you will hit the wall quickly with it tho so if you want to oc do yourself a favor and get some G.Skill TCCD.

what speed rating should i go for? problem with ll thatis that i livein Austrlia, and its a hole and hard to get good ram! :p

also i donthave that much money to paly around with :p

also Would it be better to buy matched pairs(the ones that come with 2 sticks) or simply buy 2 individual sticks?

just wondering but how is ocz pc3200 plat edition rev.2 tccd for the a64's i was looking at pdp but ive heard of better oc's with the ocz

any TCCD is good, but oc'ing is really a matter of luck. If u go for 3200 rated memory, u can be sure it runs at that speed but no guarantees of higher clocks. With 4400 u can be sure it goes up to 275(?) mhz but it may not be able run at tight timings even at lower clocks.

what is TCCD anyway? lol im noob......and what about the Cas thing? what should i look for? and are matched paris that much better?

search! there are plenty of threads discussing TCCD memory - TCCD chips made by samsung, and clocks very well, they are used by many manufacturers using them

TCCD is the chip to get and they all have 2-2-2-5 timings at 3200 speeds.

and although pc4400 ram wouldnt run as tight timings at pc3200 speeds then pc3200 ram, it will run tighter at pc4400 speeds then pc3200 ram(taking it can get that high)

i say get g.skill if u can find it over there and have the money

corsair doesn't seem to have as good a rep in the A64 field.......OCZ...G.Skill.....I'd say your better off there

TehQuick said:
and u really shouldn't go for 2.5 cas memory, A64s love low-latency memory, and gain much more speed from it than p4s, for example (those love bandwidth more).

this isn't true, theres been a lot of threads on this topics. amd64s are hardly affected by ram speeds or latencies.

once you go past a certain point, yeah. this point seems to be somewhere between 166mhz and 200mhz. after this, the difference isn't very profound.

imnot fully into overclocking, but i just want something that is well priced and will just give me a little headroom to paly around with. nothign extreme. i found some g Skill nd they are very expensive. im just thinking of getting Corsair pc3200 cas2

its the twinx 184pin cl2 (2x512)

will that be enuf for my a64?

Back