GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Hits Overseas Market at Objectionable Prices

LOL, I could not buy a base 3080 for those prices here in the EU.

I thought that before ampere. It’s not correct

Ampere was 85% faster than Turing and cost less.

Nvidia and AMD try to price what the market will bear. They messed up with ampere, but Turing didn’t sell that well, and so they thought they priced it too high. With ampere release timeframe they knew they were competing against the Xbox and the PlayStation new releases where for the price of a 3070 you could buy a whole next gen console. This matters. I have friends who would have upgraded their PC to ampere, but with the value proposition just bought a console instead. I don’t think anyone expected the mad rush based on crypto price boom, and Covid’s has had an impact.

Had Nvidia known this in advance, MSRPs would have been at least double and much higher than Turing, but obviously they didn’t know. So they priced MSRP at less than Turing, and quite inexpensive for the historic performance jump. A 3070 is roughly 2080ti performance. A $500 product compares to a $1200 product from the previous generation? Wow! Nvidia was quite conservative with MSRP on ampere.

IMO, it is likely that Nvidia and AMD will overprice the next generation cards, just like they did Turing. It’s a similar landscape. pascal cards were bought heavily and scalped over MSRP because of Crypto, Nvidia noticed and MSRP went up for Turing. But mining profitability was basically dying when Turing released so now you had an overpriced card in the gaming market without Crypto profit driving sales. Ampere was released when mining wasn’t very profitable. Crypto exploded and so demand went way up, and just like Pascal, Ampere cards are being scalped. I think Nvidia will repeat the higher MSRP for next gen. There will be no console launch simultaneously to temper expectations, and whether or not the higher MSRP is warranted for next gen cards will depend mostly on how active Crypto is at that time. I still say gamers are not the ones buying the endless stream of scalped $2000 3080s all day long on eBay. Gamers will just wait and use what they have. Have you read about a single gamer saying he paid 3x MSRP on hardforum? I haven’t. Miners will pay $2000 for a 3080. Because they know they will make the money back and still have hardware to sell, when the crypto bubble bursts.

I don't know what the price of the next generation cards will be, but you are basing what you think might happen on very faulty logic. Why is your logic faulty? Because it's based on incorrect information.

For a starters Ampere isn't 85% faster than Turing. Not even close.

Also, Turing was expensive for two reasons. The first was that they were introducing two new types of hardware into consumer GPUs, the Ray Tracing and Tensor cores. First gen hardware is always more expensive. Second, because of mining. But, not for the reason you state. It was only near the end of life for Pascal cards that they became popular for mining. From October 2017 to March/April 2018, the demand for Nvidia's GPUs skyrocketed. So Nvidia increased production. Then the bubble burst and mining was dead in May. But, of course, you can't just turn off production. So Nvidia were left with a ton of Pascal cards that they couldn't sell because everyone was waiting for Turing. Remember, they were due to release Turing in June, then Mr. Leather Jacket man said Turing wouldn't be released for ages yet. Eventually they released in September, but, they still had a huge volumes of Pascal cards to sell. So rather than sell the Pascal cards at a massive loss, they priced the Turing cards a tier higher.

The prices of Ampere was a return to more normal pricing.

There are no great games to play atm to spend that amount of money. Only FOMO buyers and flippers will buy them.

Our game backlogs run just fine on whatever hardware we have right now.

I'm on a GT1030 ATM cause I sold my 2070super in August thinking I'd just buy a 3070 when it was released 😀🔫

Edit: And I picked up Death Stranding and Control last Steam Winter sale and haven't been able to play them yet

reaper12
I should have stated “as much as” and “4K” as the context I was thinking in. And yes, the 3080 is as much as double the speed of the 2080 at 4K resolution. Plenty of references to this if you do a simple look up comparison of 4K benchmark tests between 2080fe and 3080fe. For example (up to double on a couple games - 3080 makes the most difference on the newer raytracing games like Shadow of the Tombraider or Control)

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/nvidia-rtx-3080-vs-2080-vs-2080-super

On their whole big suite of games (not cherry picked - most not newer Raytracing titles) Techpowerup says on average 66% faster 3080 to 2080
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-founders-edition/40.html

Digital Foundry claims up to 80%
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-review?page=7

We shall see about the rest. I think what you added doesn’t contest what I stated and nothing I stated historically is inaccurate or faulty logic, IMO.

Last edited:
I'm on a GT1030 ATM cause I sold my 2070super in August thinking I'd just buy a 3070 when it was released 😀🔫

Edit: And I picked up Death Stranding and Control last Steam Winter sale and haven't been able to play them yet
Ouch, I wouldn't have done that. I know after being here for a few years, don't sell until you have the replacement.

I had a trade on here for a 2080Ti in December for a 2060S + $350 or so. Held out thinking the business grant money will arrive in time to get a slightly inflated in price 3080.
By the time the funds arrived, two months after the promised date, prices for everything went crazy. So I'm stuck with the 2060S, but I was still able to enjoy Cyberpunk with RT.

I'm inching towards getting a PS5/Xbox and play Battlefield 6 on there. The PC market is once again not viable for gaming until next year or longer.

I was going on rumors that raytracing in 3k series would decrease resale price for 2k series, which maybe would have been true if PC Part Apocalypse didn't happen.

I could have sold it now for almost double what I did too is the double-whammy

🔥🔥🔥😊 It's fine🔥🔥🔥

I've luckily got a 2080Ti already so while not as nice as a 3xxx series it's still plenty and I don't mind waiting for a new GPU.
Same here man! I don't think there is a single game that can't be played for the foreseeable future on a 2080ti in my mind. My 2080ti XC Ultra is an awesome card still. Only thing I haven't been able to run on it full tilt is the new Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, but I suspect if I turn down Ray Tracing from Ultra and maybe try DLSS it would be fine.

Same here man! I don't think there is a single game that can't be played for the foreseeable future on a 2080ti in my mind. My 2080ti XC Ultra is an awesome card still. Only thing I haven't been able to run on it full tilt is the new Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, but I suspect if I turn down Ray Tracing from Ultra and maybe try DLSS it would be fine.

What resolution are you running? On my 2080Ti I can run Metro EEE at 3440x1440p with any DLSS setting (I prefer Performance) at max graphics settings and haven't seen frames under 60 so far...most of the time the game runs 100+! Very well optimized for being fully ray-traced.

What resolution are you running? On my 2080Ti I can run Metro EEE at 3440x1440p with any DLSS setting (I prefer Performance) at max graphics settings and haven't seen frames under 60 so far...most of the time the game runs 100+! Very well optimized for being fully ray-traced.

Well like I said I haven't tried DLSS yet. I was just running everything on native @ 2160x1440 with Ray Tracingon Ultra and everything to the max. I will try DLSS next.

Indeed. 1440p @ 120+ Hz still does it for me, this whole rush to super high resolutions when my screen is barely a foot from my face is colossal waste of money. If I am immersed in the game, I'm not counting extra pixels!
And if you're 8 feet away from your 55" or 65", you aren't seeing the difference between 1440p or 2160p either....so it works both ways......

Back