GeForce RTX 3080 sees increasing reports of crashes in games

kac77

2[H]4U
GeForce RTX 3080 sees increasing reports of crashes in games

ComputerBase has provided a quick overview of what users are reporting. At LinusTechTips forums users are reporting problems with ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3080 Trinity. Owners of MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC are also noticing this type of behavior, a thread on Overclockers.co.uk seems to suggest. Even on ComputerBase’s own forums, there are threads describing the same problem.
Figures it happens to both brands eventually

I've seen reports of this happening to every aib card. Looks like the boards can't handle the clocks. Many people are downclocking them 100mhz to get stable-ish.

Welp... Red Dead Redemption 2 just completely froze up on me, also with added artifacts. So Driver or Card... who knows. But I've been playing it for hours on a 2080 Super no issue, 2 minutes with the 3080 took the game down.

Hmmm...interesting. What we see here is the reason so many people tell me when it comes to new technology: do your best not to be an early adopter. In case something like this happens. Out!

I tried RDR2 again and was able to play for 10 minutes without a crash, clocks peaked at 1995mhz with most of time staying at 1905mhz. GPU temp didn’t exceed 73c. I think the base or boost clock is advertised from MSI as 1815mhz foe the Trio X.

Last edited:
For the video card I want from eVGA dave343 the Boost clock is 1755MHz. I think however the listing for that might be wrong as that sounds like the GPU's base clock factory OCed and not the boost clock. The boost clock might be a bit more than that. CORRECTION: according to techpowerup.com the GPU's actual base clock is 1440MHz and the boost clock is 1755MHz. Remarkable it can be that fast clocked with those numbers. So if the boost clock is 1755MHz then how could people be getting GPU clocks of 1950MHz+? Hmmm...that could mean (keywords: could mean) somebody(s) are OCing the cards further than the factory OR a driver malfunction is pushing boost clocks well above advertised. Out!

Last edited:
Welp... Red Dead Redemption 2 just completely froze up on me, also with added artifacts. So Driver or Card... who knows. But I've been playing it for hours on a 2080 Super no issue, 2 minutes with the 3080 took the game down.

What brand is your 3080?

For the video card I want from eVGA dave343 the Boost clock is 1755MHz. I think however the listing for that might be wrong as that sounds like the GPU's base clock factory OCed and not the boost clock. The boost clock might be a bit more than that. CORRECTION: according to techpowerup.com the GPU's actual base clock is 1440MHz and the boost clock is 1755MHz. Remarkable it can be that fast clocked with those numbers. So if the boost clock is 1755MHz then how could people be getting GPU clocks of 1950MHz+? Hmmm...that could mean (keywords: could mean) somebody(s) are OCing the cards further than the factory OR a driver malfunction is pushing boost clocks well above advertised. Out!

I’m confused myself over the clock speeds and what decides the boosting but I know the default 3080 “speed” is 1710mhz. My MSI Gaming X Trio has an advertised “speed or boost” of 1815MHz. The FTW3 is advertised at 1800 and I think... the Strix is 1900?

Anyways, In RDR2 using Afterburner it’s showing clock speeds of 1905mhz with peaks up to 1995. And I have not touched the clocks, everything on my 3080 is factory stock whatever MSI and Nvidia decided. So with that said I’m not sure what’s going on, but I thought Jayz2cents mentioned in a video today that the (close to) 2ghz boost clocks we see are something Nvidia does above whatever clock speed MSI or the AIB has set, eg; 1815mhz as per my MSI Trio card. But this extra boost to 1950mhz-2ghz is determined by available TDP, and temps, plus some other factors I guess.

MSI Gaming X Trio

Ok yeah that's in line with what I've been seeing. It's mainly been AIB cards like MSI, Gigabyte and Zotac that have had these problems. Honestly, I'd return the card and go with an NVIDIA FE or ASUS TUF.

I hear you Dave. It kind of goes back to an earlier post about early adopters. nVIDIA has only released 1 Game Ready Driver that supports the RTX 30 series to this point. Could be a issue with this first driver that nVIDIA needs to resolve. As long as we make our voice loud enough about it, nVIDIA will hear it and hopefully fix it...if it is a driver issue of some kind. Out!

If it is and I hope it is, a driver issue. I don't want to hear another person badmouth AMD graphics card drivers again...

Surely it's just driver growing pains. There's been plenty of reviews of AIB cards and no reports of crashes. If I'm not mistaken they're using different drivers than what the consumer gets.

Ok yeah that's in line with what I've been seeing. It's mainly been AIB cards like MSI, Gigabyte and Zotac that have had these problems. Honestly, I'd return the card and go with an NVIDIA FE or ASUS TUF.

I’ll wait a few days and see where the chips fall, I think if the issues are as wide spread as being reported, we may hear from Nvidia or the AIB’s sooner then later. Hopefully a bios or driver can fix whatever is causing the issue.

I hear you Dave. It kind of goes back to an earlier post about early adopters. nVIDIA has only released 1 Game Ready Driver that supports the RTX 30 series to this point. Could be a issue with this first driver that nVIDIA needs to resolve. As long as we make our voice loud enough about it, nVIDIA will hear it and hopefully fix it...if it is a driver issue of some kind. Out!

Yeah, I’m guessing if the issues are as wide spread as being reported we’ll hear something soon, and or see a bios driver fix released. As you mentioed we are only on the first driver release.

I’ll wait a few days and see where the chips fall, I think if the issues are as wide spread as being reported, we may hear from Nvidia or the AIB’s sooner then later. Hopefully a bios or driver can fix whatever is causing the issue.

Yeah, I’m guessing if the issues are as wide spread as being reported we’ll hear something soon, and or see a bios driver fix released. As you mentioed we are only on the first driver release.

It could certainly be a multifaceted issue but then why aren’t NVIDIA FE and ASUS owners reporting the same problems? Or if they are I haven’t seen it yet. But if in fact they haven’t, then that absolves nvidia of any responsibility and puts the blame squarely on those AIB.

It could certainly be a multifaceted issue but then why aren’t NVIDIA FE and ASUS owners reporting the same problems? Or if they are I haven’t seen it yet. But if in fact they haven’t, then that absolves nvidia of any responsibility and puts the blame squarely on those AIB.

It's plausible that the 3080 chips used in the FE cards have been binned, because from the reports this issue seems to happen mostly when the AIB cards boost across the 2ghz barrier and then crash to desktop or just crash the game and artifact. The FE cards don't have this issue.... but purely speculation and rumors at this point, although considering the temporary solution is to down-clock the AIB cards by 50-100mhz and this solves the issue... it leaves you wondering if the FE cards were binned. It would make sense for Nvidia to do this, they want to keep the best silicon for themselves.

I could be wrong, although I thought I also read the AIB's didn't have much time to prepare their cards and the final clock speeds the cards would run at, so if they didn't recieve well binned chips, and say MSI is setting all their Trio X cards to boost to 1815mhz... maybe all the chips can't do it? Who knows. Hopefully we'll hear something more official soon.

I just played RDR2 for the last 2hrs and didn't experience any issues so who knows. The card bounced between 1850ish mhz and 1950, this according to Afterburner. so maybe this is why, mine isn't hitting 2ghz like people who are reporting continuous crashing. Also, the majority of people who are experiecing crashing have not overclocked, myself included. Temps bounced between 60-73c. I'm not so worried about the initial freeze I had after firing up RDR2 on this 3080 as I am about the fact it was mad artifacting when it did crash. That part is concerning. But the last 2hrs it never blinked.

Hmmm...interesting. What we see here is the reason so many people tell me when it comes to new technology: do your best not to be an early adopter. In case something like this happens. Out!

Traditional AIB boards may not be up to the task. There's no OC room, so why buy overpriced AIB coolers to begin with.

Early adopter wows indeed.

I'm running over 2,000mhz on my 3080 without any issues playing MSFS2020 & Modern Warfare.....Ill test more games as the days go on.

PS) Well the lack of Gsync is an issue that sucks! Nvidia needs to fix that ASAP.

1601018489377.png

I'm running over 2,000mhz on my 3080 without any issues playing MSFS2020 & Modern Warfare.....Ill test more games as the days go on.

PS) Well the lack of Gsync is an issue that sucks! Nvidia needs to fix that ASAP.

Thanks, but we need to know what 3080 card you have. :)

If this was AMD there would have been pitchforks already ;)

But, of course. That's Human nature. If a company has been supplying something to you that's been pretty reliable most of the time, you tend to give them the benefit of the doubt when things go wrong. Whereas if a company supplying you regularly messes things up, well, you aren't going to be as patient with them when they make another mistake.

What this has done is given AMD a golden opportunity to increase their reputation in the gaming community if their cards have a good launch.

It's a slip by Nvidia at the perfect time for AMD with the consoles and RDNA 2 coming.

But, of course. That's Human nature. If a company has been supplying something to you that's been pretty reliable most of the time, you tend to give them the benefit of the doubt when things go wrong. Whereas if a company supplying you regularly messes things up, well, you aren't going to be as patient with them when they make another mistake.

What this has done is given AMD a golden opportunity to increase their reputation in the gaming community if their cards have a good launch.

It's a slip by Nvidia at the perfect time for AMD with the consoles and RDNA 2 coming.
Yeah, like I said, I'm sure it'll be fixed soon. NVidia tends to get things like this fixed rather quickly, where as it seems AMD lets things drag on for to long. I just laugh when people say that nvidia doesn't have issues on launches like AMD does, then these things pop on every time there's a launch. It's just they manage it better and tends not to affect as high of a percent as users, not that they don't have issues. I do agree, AMD has a great opportunity if they have some ok stock (doesn't even have to be great or good) quantities and their driver team (the one intern they hired to write all their drivers?) can have minimal issues, they can really make a good case for themselves.

Somebody was talking about binning. I can't remember who it was. Is it possible that certain manufacturers got certain binned parts over others?

The Nvidia subreddit is deleting any posts discussing this.
Uh oh. That's not a good sign. I have a feeling Nvidia pushed the spec too far. Otherwise if AIB's screwed up best believe they would have said so and named names.

Realistically, there's no point as he's lucky he got ANY card and the FE / Asus TUF aren't in stock anywhere.

Igor's Lab: The possible reason for crashes and instabilities of the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 | Investigative

https://www.igorslab.de/en/what-rea...tabilities-of-the-force-rtx-3080-andrtx-3090/
I don't think this tells the whole story.

FTW3 has six POSCAPs and GamersNexus broke a world record with it under LN2 on their 4 hour livestream. They even OC'd it against the TUF and said it was better.

They used a custom vbios which, if anything, indicates a problem with the stock bioses.

Reactions: kac77
like this
It’s probably because they don’t want to the subreddit to be littered with 100 threads on the same topic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/com...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

This thread is a hot post in the subreddit and hasn’t been deleted. Seems like they’re trying to keep discussion in there.
This is a very good read. Basically the closer to the FE the less likely the card is going to run into problems. However it's not limited to Zotac. So if you missed out it's not a bad thing. You're going to want the next revision anyway.

This is a very good read. Basically the closer to the FE the less likely the card is going to run into problems. However it's not limited to Zotac. So if you missed out it's not a bad thing. You're going to want the next revision anyway.

The revision cards will have 20GB and cost much more.

Back