GeForce RTX 3070 Reviews

also that, they even got accused of fraud bcuz they lied to their investors with the mining bubble, they needed some extra cash
Never went anywhere though, there was no paper trail proving they knew those cards were going to miners. Gigabyte and MSI got smacked hard for fudging paperwork and shipping orders masking their involvement with mining operations though.

Walked into Microcenter yesterday to pickup some staff equipment and they basically shoved a 3070 pickup voucher in my hand so I decided to go ahead and get one.
The 3070 FE is going to replace my 2070 FE, which I'm handing down to my Kiddo and was surprised the 2070 can be crammed into the Alienware Amplifier.

My desktop is a Dell G5 with a 460w PSU so Im not sure Im able to get peak performance out of it, but so far so good.
I use a Samsung 4K TV as my screen and Ive had some awful tearing with the 2070. With the 3070 Ive been able to set everything to unlimited FPS and its made tearing almost non-existent. Everything has been MUCH more enjoyable. Doom Eternal, NMS, StarWars Squadrons, BL3. I was already prepared to spend ~400 on another 2070 for my kiddo, but this worked out much better. The 3070 is also about an inch shorted so it fits in my case better. I played it for about 4 hours yesterday and the fan barely ever kicked on.

This is the first GPU ive ever bought on launch. I think the 4870 was the last one I purchased in store, everything else was in trades or pre-builds or laptops. The Alienware Alpha G2 my son is using has an integrated 970 and its been good for 1080p gaming for about 5 years now and still works surprisingly great.

Walked into Microcenter yesterday to pickup some staff equipment and they basically shoved a 3070 pickup voucher in my hand so I decided to go ahead and get one.
The 3070 FE is going to replace my 2070 FE, which I'm handing down to my Kiddo and was surprised the 2070 can be crammed into the Alienware Amplifier.

My desktop is a Dell G5 with a 460w PSU so Im not sure Im able to get peak performance out of it, but so far so good.
I use a Samsung 4K TV as my screen and Ive had some awful tearing with the 2070. With the 3070 Ive been able to set everything to unlimited FPS and its made tearing almost non-existent. Everything has been MUCH more enjoyable. Doom Eternal, NMS, StarWars Squadrons, BL3. I was already prepared to spend ~400 on another 2070 for my kiddo, but this worked out much better. The 3070 is also about an inch shorted so it fits in my case better. I played it for about 4 hours yesterday and the fan barely ever kicked on.

This is the first GPU ive ever bought on launch. I think the 4870 was the last one I purchased in store, everything else was in trades or pre-builds or laptops. The Alienware Alpha G2 my son is using has an integrated 970 and its been good for 1080p gaming for about 5 years now and still works surprisingly great.
Keep the case side off and enjoy the warmth :)

Consensus of reviews seem to be.... Don't overspend on a 3070 cuz the aib cards aren't that much faster.

As I anticipated, Ampere doesn't have enough compression improvements to rock 2080 Ti performance in the same memory bandwidth as an RTX 2080. It would also probably help if they upgraded it to 16GB ram.

They will have to wait for the the 2GB GDDR6x chips to surface before they can affordably double the memory of the 3080 (NVIDIA won't ship something as lopsided as a 16GB 3070, in a 10GB-only 3080 world). They will probably upgrade that new 3070 16GB ram model to 16 Gbps memory from the 2080 Super (and of course, give it Super branding).
Is the 3070 running into memory size bottlenecks in Shadow of the Tombraider at 4K?

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/11/18/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-and-radeon-rx-6800-review/7/

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/11/18/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-and-radeon-rx-6800-review/5/

It's possible. It could be hitting the 14Gbps memory wall at 4k (as I previously mentioned), or it could be running out of VRAM.

We wont know until NVIDIA releases the 16gb card, so be patient, Grasshopper. But the fact that the 2080s is only 5% faster than the 2080 says it's likely capacity (when it's bandwidth-limited, the improvement is over 10%).

Because Big Navi completely changed how we compute VRAM bandwidth, AND doubled the VRAM density of any Ampere card released, it's going to be hard to tell you why the 3070 falters at 4k.

Last edited:
Looks great for 1440p at the high & ultra though. 50% faster than my current 2070. Might have to put it into consideration when I go to upgrade.

And I guess you're right, having looked at the FPS Review, you could probably get away with 60fps at 4k with the 3070 at medium or low settings, surprising to see that some games even achieve 60+ FPS on the highest settings at 4k.

That being said, didn't Nvidia state that the 3070 was going to out perform the 2080ti? According to those reviews it seems to be about 4% slower.

I appreciated Linus' scathing words about Nvidia (timestamped)

He's whining that Nvidia had more time to develop their heatsink? More likely: He's whining to make a 'performance' to make his viewers think he is on their 'side'. Or make it look like he isn't on a brands' side. But it's a performance.

Fucking lol. So, I have to have the chip to start work on a heatsink.. ? oh wait, no I don't. Fucking stupid point. As far as the PCB goes, the partners can use the reference PCB if they want. If the only reference PCB was the one with the V shape at the end to fit Nvidia's cooler, then partners having to come up with their own board (if they don't want to use the reference PCB since it doesn't match their old heatsink models) in a shorter timeframe than previous launches may have some validity. But partners usually launch a release model that uses the reference PCB, and a month or 2 later come out with a new revision with a custom PCB, better components/power stages, again using their custom cooling solutions. The partners (if) complaining is probably because the new cooler Nvidia has is better than their same old triple fan heatsinks we've been getting since the GTX680. So having less time in regards to the PCB is believable, but only applies to the first 4 to 6 weeks after the launch, and we are past 9 weeks now.

But having less time as far as the healsink goes, that's just sour grapes. Partners: Nvidia's cooler is better than yours, you've had the same basic shit for the last 5 generations. The lack of innovation on that front is on you. There were also rumors and pictures of that heatsink out a few months before launch, and I am not even sure if the partners couldn't just copy it if they wanted to. I do not know one way or the other on that, other than they typically want their own design so as to 'stand apart' from everyone else. But the standard triple fan heatsink, most of them use this type design already. They are different, yet all very much the same at the same time. Make a cooler like Nvidia's that actually directs most of the heat out the back of the case already.

The other conspiracy guy said Nvidia founder cards were cheaper to improve relations with gamers after the 2xxx series pricing, would be in short supply then run out of stock -never to be refilled. Followed up later by more expensive AIB cards... Both conspiracies can't be true. How can Nvidia be competing against the partners if the FE card is no longer available? Granted, supply isn't meeting demand, but you can get one if you try. So second conspiracy guy (MLID) I would say was wrong, as nowinstock.net shows last stock on the 3080Fe was Nov 10th at Bestbuy.

Partners were surprised how much better the FE heatstink is than both old FE heatsinks as well as the same old triple fan coolers they have been using for a really long time. Give them 6 months, we will see new partner cards with better cooling than the triple fan design, and hopefully even better than the FE cooler.

Last edited:
Back