GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Review Roundup

this worth it coming from a 1080ti FTW3?
only if you want the features added over the 1000 and 2000 series IMO. For raw performance probably not. For raytracing, dlss, tensor/RT, and efficiency, it is an upgrade.

Reactions: erek
like this
I know I'm showing my age here but $400 for a midtier GPU is just hard to stomach. This tier of performance used to be $199 just a couple gens ago. Are the days of entry level gaming PCs just gone?

I hate console gaming but for $499 you can get a console with a similar performing GPU aaaaand all of the rest of the components.
Agreed

Reactions: c3k
like this
We are getting the performance of a $700 graphics card for $400. It sounds good until you realize the RTX 2000 series cards didn't sell well due to high prices. We are moving in the right direction but very slowly and still expensive. Hopefully the RTX 3060 is cheaper and only slightly slower than a 3060 Ti.
But you won't find $400 3060 tis. The only $400 3060 tis are extraordinary low volume, and will only be available for the first few batches. The "MSRAP" (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Advertising Price) card is a unicorn.

It's more like we are getting the performance of an overpriced, 2 year-old $700 card for $500 -- that is, if you can get one. It's not nearly as rosy as the smoke and mirrors nV would have you think.

Can't get past this error,
evga-3060ti.jpg

What you are seeing is NVIDIA restructuring its entire Ampere product stack.

3070/80 about to be realistically EOL'd, with 3070 To and 80 Ti replacing those. NVIDIA was not ready to complete with 6800/XT.
Well, that actually makes more sense, strategically.

I know I'm showing my age here but $400 for a midtier GPU is just hard to stomach. This tier of performance used to be $199 just a couple gens ago. Are the days of entry level gaming PCs just gone?

I hate console gaming but for $499 you can get a console with a similar performing GPU aaaaand all of the rest of the components.

Well, let's consider that the 660Ti which came out in August 2012 had an MSRP of $300+.

Today, that would be $340+, adjusted for inflation.

So, another $60+ gets a 3060Ti over what the 660Ti was going for. The question becomes: is the $60 more worth all the added features that were introduced with the 2000 series and continued (and possibly unarguably improved) in the 3000 series?

It's more of a rhetorical question, as it is all subjective.

Last edited:
Looks like Microcenter has a ton of the 3060ti's in stock, even now, an hour after opening.

Tons? Just a few in NJ.

Edit: Web site says a few. Someone went there and says there were 200 cards when store opened.

Last edited:
And people laughed at me when. I said these will be $400.
Oh, you poor sad deluded fool ;)

Card reviews were overall Meh to Not Bad... but what borks all of the $ per frame calculations is these aren't selling for near MSRP and won't for months, if ever. Now you're not comparing comparable $400 GPUs anymore.

Not a card for raytracing, unless you consider @30-40fps in 1080 acceptable

Last edited:

3070/80 about to be realistically EOL'd, with 3070 Ti and 80 Ti replacing those. NVIDIA was not ready to complete with 6800/XT.

Awesome. :) this is why competition is good!

the 3060 Ti is the better deal versus the 3070...sounds like the choice is between the 3060 Ti and the 3080
Well depends upon what you're looking for in a card. If you want to go strictly by some "frames per $" metric then sure it's a better deal. But if you're looking at 4k, probably not so much, not that the 3070 is that much better, but if 60FPS is some golden goose for you then you'll be teetering that edge with some games. Now that said if you want 1440 game play, then yeah 3060ti all day long, you're not going to notice 110 vs 125 fps differences. So is 4k worth $300* to you now? Or are you willing to stay away for a while?

Tons? Just a few in NJ.

Edit: Web site says a few. Someone went there and says there were 200 cards when store opened.
200 cards sounds like a lot, doubt 200 people will be waiting in line for a 3060ti, and presumably Microcenter has a "limit 1 per customer"... but yeah, if Best Buy did an "in store only" with no online sales I may have a card right now because there are multiple Best Buys near me and I can pick one to camp out at but yeah they care more about total sales without having to deal with people in person, where as Microcenter... yeah I'm not going to take a 7 hour drive to the nearest one.

$50 price premium at BestBuy for the MSI Ventus version. $439 for Gigabyte 3 fan card. That one is still "coming soon" though.

Screenshot_2020-12-02 rtx 3060ti - Best Buy.png

It wll be a big mistake to cede that space to Intel.

AMD won't be as they'll have their own APU's based on zen3. Nvidia... I don't think they'll care too much because they still have the brand power to get people to buy their cards. In the short term at least.

One of a handful across all AIBs. This will be in the channel in limited quantity, supply trickled in over the next few months while most people wait in the preorder queue. It's a "plausible deniability" model that nVidia, AIBs and retailers can point to when the reality that the grand majority of cards are priced well higher than "MSRP".

Give it 24 months and you will never know that $99 and $199 video cards ever existed. Say b-bye!
That would be a big mistake since the majority of gamers on Steam seem to be using $99 to $199 graphic cards. The GTX 1060, 1050, and 1050 Ti are still the top 3 used graphic cards on Steam. These are 4 year old graphic cards, and getting older. You'd think Nvidia and AMD would put out something that would get them to upgrade? If they don't then expect a lot of those gamers to go console, and they probably won't come back.

this worth it coming from a 1080ti FTW3?
Probably not. Unless you value Ray-Tracing, I would wait. Right now Ray-Tracing is gimmicky and you don't really need a RTX card to always do it.

But you won't find $400 3060 tis. The only $400 3060 tis are extraordinary low volume, and will only be available for the first few batches. The "MSRAP" (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Advertising Price) card is a unicorn.
Even if there wasn't a shortage, no newly released graphics card is ever sold at MSRP.
It's more like we are getting the performance of an overpriced, 2 year-old $700 card for $500 -- that is, if you can get one. It's not nearly as rosy as the smoke and mirrors nV would have you think.
To be fair you probably couldn't get a $700 for $700. More like $800 when it was launched.

Well, let's consider that the 660Ti which came out in August 2012 had an MSRP of $300+.

Today, that would be $340+, adjusted for inflation.

So, another $60+ gets a 3060Ti over what the 660Ti was going for. The question becomes: is the $60 more worth all the added features that were introduced with the 2000 series and continued (and possibly unarguably improved) in the 3000 series?

It's more of a rhetorical question, as it is all subjective.
Can we not adjust for inflation? As much as people would like to do this to justify pricing, it isn't realistic to most people. Look at this map that shows you how many people are f*cked in the United States, or will soon be. I don't see the 3060 Ti's flying off the shelf, just as much as the RTX 2060's did. People don't have that kind of money right now. Jim Sterling goes on about inflation on $70 games.

Can we not adjust for inflation? As much as people would like to do this to justify pricing, it isn't realistic to most people. Look at this map that shows you how many people are f*cked in the United States, or will soon be. I don't see the 3060 Ti's flying off the shelf, just as much as the RTX 2060's did. People don't have that kind of money right now. Jim Sterling goes on about inflation on $70 games.
If we look at how long it took to get reportedly sold out everywhere they seem to be sold out, I cannot access the image in your link but:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/17/21328298/us-video-game-spending-high-npd-group-amount#:~:text=Spending has been dramatically higher,the same month in 2019.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EdISRLWVcAE5h83?format=jpg&name=small

EdISRLWVcAE5h83?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Can we have a resume of is argument why a $10 jump over 15 years is unacceptable for a product that got bigger overtime ? 25 minutes is a long video and seem counterintuitive (seem to complain about microtransaction as well, seem that higher upfront cost would be one of the best ways to avoid a shift toward microtransaction)

One of a handful across all AIBs. This will be in the channel in limited quantity, supply trickled in over the next few months while most people wait in the preorder queue. It's a "plausible deniability" model that nVidia, AIBs and retailers can point to when the reality that the grand majority of cards are priced well higher than "MSRP".
Okey dokey.

3070/80 about to be realistically EOL'd, with 3070 Ti and 80 Ti replacing those. NVIDIA was not ready to complete with 6800/XT.

This is what I was thinking after seeing the OC results of some 3060ti models. I'm on a 2070 so a 2060ti isn't quite what I want to upgrade to performance wise, but if I had a slower GPU I wouldn't even consider the 3070 at the price point it is. 3060ti seems like a much better deal. 3-4 frame rates less for 20% less price, give or take.

I suppose the real question is, when will it come and how much will a 3070ti cost? I'd like them to slot it in at $500 MSRP again but I'm not seeing that. AMD has a slight lead with more VRAM at $580. VRAM aside I think Nvidia will try and mimic that pricing.

Here is to hoping they replace it with a Ti that costs the same for the 3070/3080.

Last edited:
I struggle paying over $250 for a video card. I was hoping to get better 1440p gaming as I bought 144hz monitor this year. Guess I'll stick with the used Vega 56 I bought for a bit over $200 a year ago. Last new video card I bought was an RX480 8gb for $240.

I'm just not sure I could justify going for $400 (much less $450-500+) for something that's essentially a 1440p / kinda sorta 4K card at best, for that much money. It seems to be too expensive for the "I want to definitely pay $200-300 or so" gaming market for the lower end, and doesn't give enough for the "Well, If I'm okay paying $500, I'd may as well pay $600 or 700" and just go for a 3070 / 3080 or 6800 / 6800 XT class of buyer. Maybe I'm missing something, but I have an old 1070 8GB in my current rig and it is suitable enough for 1440p / 144hz (assuming good FreeSync) most of the time I've found. I'm sure this would be a raw upgrade, but at least for my investment I'd rather pay a bit more and get into the high end with the cards as I described.

I didn't think this was going to be something in that tier, but I did think that it may have been a bit cheaper in the 300-400 range if they really wanted to capitalize. I wonder if AMD will be able to make a card series with similar performance and better pricing...

I was hoping to see this product segment come back down. 1060 were about $280 - $300. 2060 were $350-$400. So then they cut out the RTX and gave us the 1660ti for $250 - $280. And now they are back with the 3060ti --- increasing the segment more. So what, another cut down card with no RTX, to actually give us a good price? I don't think that would be a good idea in this age of ray tracing dominating marketing and game news.

Here's hoping AMD undercuts them in this segment. I'd like to see a 3060ti equivalent, for $300 - $350.

Going by this:
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-entry-level-geforce-rtx-3050-ampere-ga107-gpu-specs-detailed/

3060ti: $400
3060: ?
3050ti: ?
3050: ? (with 4 gb of ram)

Do you think they will never actually go lower than the xx60 like they did on the 2000s branded Turing or that they will do something like:

3060ti: $400
3060: $350
3050ti: $300
3050: $250
Hopefully the 3060 will be $300 because at $350 it would be stupid. Then again this is Nvidia so... It would be extremely disappointing that the 3050 Ti is 6GB and the 3050 is 4GB. If the 3050 was $150 and the 3050 Ti was $200 then sure but Nvidia is not giving GTX 1060 users a reason to upgrade.

Video game spending went up a lot, and not necessarily hardware. They don't exactly break that down in your links. Remember, the RTX 2000 series cards didn't sell very well. Just look at the Steam hardware survey. Where are all the RTX cards? They're bellow the 4 year old GTX cards.

I didn't think this was going to be something in that tier, but I did think that it may have been a bit cheaper in the 300-400 range if they really wanted to capitalize. I wonder if AMD will be able to make a card series with similar performance and better pricing...
Considering how AMD has been running things lately, they'll have something slightly faster and slightly more expensive than Nvidia. It's not like the 5700 and 5700XT has sold well with that strategy, and look at all the 5600XT's they didn't sell. Right now our best hope is that Intel enters the market and starts a price war with AMD and Nvidia.

Video game spending went up a lot, and not necessarily hardware. They don't exactly break that down in your links. Remember, the RTX 2000 series cards didn't sell very well. Just look at the Steam hardware survey. Where are all the RTX cards? They're bellow the 4 year old GTX cards.
The picture does breakdown by hardware, software and accessories & Game Cards, you are right that hardware is down in June (I feel it will be quite up the Q3-Q4), the + is mostly software.

RTX cards where not interesting value proposition and was skip, maybe it is because they are not many on them on the shelves, but any card put on them are certainly flying off them at the moment.

3060ti + fully scalped the F out already =
I imagine those are US dollars ($), if so this is just funny, a $130 minus tax plus shipping over the announced 3080 price for a 3060ti..... wonder if they will be able to sell.

I was hoping to see this product segment come back down. 1060 were about $280 - $300. 2060 were $350-$400. So then they cut out the RTX and gave us the 1660ti for $250 - $280. And now they are back with the 3060ti --- increasing the segment more. So what, another cut down card with no RTX, to actually give us a good price? I don't think that would be a good idea in this age of ray tracing dominating marketing and game news.

Here's hoping AMD undercuts them in this segment. I'd like to see a 3060ti equivalent, for $300 - $350.

I feel like no one is actually looking at the benchmarks before complaining about this card.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_rtx_3060_ti_founder_edition_review,16.html

It's just faster than that $800 + GPU you could have purchased two days ago.

I think the naming is what everyone is stuck on. This might be labeled a x60 series card, but it's just a cut down x70 series card, and not a mid tier GPU design.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_rtx_3060_ti_founder_edition_review,6.html

If anything I think the power numbers are telling. The 1060 is well below a 980, and probably in line or below a 970 if there was one on the page. The 2060 super is below a 1070ti. But the 3060ti draws more power than a 2070 super and almost the same as a 2080. That should tell you that even though it's called a x60 series card it's not comparable to a x60 series card of previous generations. This really is a x70 series card in x60 series badging. So if you take that into consideration, it's right in line with the price point it should be at. Nvidia simply made a much bigger card than they have in the past for this product segment.

So now saying that, yes I think the hope is that they have other designs to target lower price points. There's still room for a 3060, a 3050ti, and a 3050. Maybe they'll make a 3040 or a 3020 (I think 3030 sounds odd). I do agree that we probably won't see many sub $100 cards anymore, but at the same time there might not be enough volume to justify one either. The low end market used to sell millions upon millions of cards that would make their way into OEM pcs like Dells and HPs. None of those exist anymore and most of that segment that used discrete graphics are now onboard. If there is no volume then it might not make financial sense to tape out a design that is low volume that is also low profit margins. We've been talking about the death of low end cards for years, this might just be that final nail that few people actually want them. I'm not saying people don't want cheap cards, I'm saying no one wants really stripped down cards that are too slow to really be useful. No one is going to buy a GT 1030 for playing games, and the 1050 non TI is no record breaker either. If the size of the dies have to increase to keep pace, then it's going to cost more to make those parts. We've seen die sizes explode on the high end, so it will be interesting to see where the smallest parts fall on the scale.

It's just faster than that $800 + GPU you could have purchased two days ago.
When compared to the Turin offering, price by dollar of two days ago it does look incredible.

But compared from a $400 5700xt of july 2019 ? (if those were possible to buy at the price point)

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/palit-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-gaming-pro-oc/28.html

At 1080p: 20% faster
At 1440p: 25% faster
At 2160p: 31% faster

Looking at them, not too bad either, but less impressive than when compared to the giant +50% type of jump from a $400 2060 super

And one could argue that below a 3070 RTX become less of a factor, but one could bet that below a 3070 DSSL could become a major one.

In general it does feel true your analysis, considering how close the 3080 can be to the 3090, that can make the new generation 3070 feel more like a previous 80 and so on, but to know how good for $400 the 3060TI is I feel like we need to see what AMD will offer at that price point.

Last edited:
Back