GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FAILS After Gaming for 2 Hours @ [H]

These cards are a mess. The price to performance ratio is an outrage and now this. I wasn't going to buy one at the current price regardless. All I can say is that NVIDIA's drivers are terrible since the 416.x series dropped. I can't run anything past 411.x due to hard lockups coming in and out of monitor sleep. I've got the problem on 2 different systems with a 1080 and a 1080ti. I keep telling them about it on the forums and they never fn'g fix it. Haven't seen a series of cards overshadowed this bad since the leaf blower series in the early 2000's. I think these issues might be driver problems. Unfortunately with the bad blood between [H] and NVIDIA I don't think they will take anything he says seriously anymore which is probably why 'Digital Jesus' may have to take point on this.

Reactions: ltron
like this
Is this why nVidia is charging $1,200 for a 2080 Ti? To cover return shipping and replacement costs? :p

Bummer that you, and many others, had failures. Hopefully nVidia gets this sorted quickly. Though, to be perfectly honest, I'd be livid if my $1,200 graphics card died shortly after receiving.

All I can say is that NVIDIA's drivers are terrible since the 416.x series dropped. I can't run anything past 411.x due to hard lockups coming in and out of monitor sleep. I've got the problem on 2 different systems with a 1080 and a 1080ti.

Same here with both my rigs(1080TI & 1080SLI). I've stuck with 399.24 for the time being. I don't have anything newer than SOTTR so really not missing much atm.

These cards are a mess. The price to performance ratio is an outrage and now this. I wasn't going to buy one at the current price regardless. All I can say is that NVIDIA's drivers are terrible since the 416.x series dropped. I can't run anything past 411.x due to hard lockups coming in and out of monitor sleep. I've got the problem on 2 different systems with a 1080 and a 1080ti. I keep telling them about it on the forums and they never fn'g fix it. Haven't seen a series of cards overshadowed this bad since the leaf blower series in the early 2000's. I think these issues might be driver problems. Unfortunately with the bad blood between [H] and NVIDIA I don't think they will take anything he says seriously anymore which is probably why 'Digital Jesus' may have to take point on this.

Yeah not to mention W10 users using anything since 392.xx won't have gsync borderless mode working properly. Nvidia says that microsoft needs to make a change for it to work but I wonder what the hold up is.

wonder if because poor solder use or them not giving higher quality cap/vreg design..are they still using lower temperature for these like they pretty much have been using for far too long now (85/105c) and/or did they use the same pcb design on the 2070/2080 as well as the 2080Ti to "save money"?

I would not at all be surprised with them if they did do such things, there is a time to save $ design wise and a time when you should "beef it up" extra shocking IMO for a so called "founders edition" to be anything but the "best" besides a pretty good stock cooler are just fancy "reference" design (reminds me of a decade back with their 8500-8600 cards that "reference" absolute dog meat in terms of QC).

I wonder what the real reason is? (breaking PCI-SIG voltage requirements that they lambasted AMD about not all that far back?)

Nv not in 1 million years will "admit" why they have the problem (where they screwed up) or what the manufacturing issue is that cause the problem(s), they certainly will not ever admit to how many actual failures (first batch excuse does not fly when these things are not low cost product).

At least "power hungry" "hot running" Vega do not seem to not just up and flake out/die like this (so who exactly has the best quality control?) ^.^

Sorry to hear about anyone having to pay even more due RMA etc on already expensive equipment (in some cases getting a "new" one that has the exact same issue) so much for overclocker design :D

Bad for a company pulling multi billion $ quarters to allow shoddiness to burst the damn down IMHO.

To be fair, 10 different posters on a reddit thread plus Kyle's doesn't really sound like a lot of failures. If it was really bad, reddit, [H] forums would be blowing up about it.

So 2 cards are showing issues? In the same pc? Last time I had this happen to me, turned out to be my power supply. Put a voltmeter on the 12v rail to the GPU, then watch the voltage as you play a game. If it drops significantly, 11.25v or less, your PSU is probably about to die... as well as the likely cause of the artifacts.
Same card, same issue.

2nd card, brand new, never been run, same system, no issue.

I pre-ordered and received a 2080 ti from Nvidia on 10/5. I never overclocked my card. I never had a problem with it but I kept reading about all of the problems. My serial matched most of the reported dying cards. I don't spend as much time gaming as I used to so I was sitting here thinking, am I going to have a problem and it just hasn't shown up yet because I haven't worked the card hard enough? I've read about people going through multiple RMA cards. I don't feel like playing those games. I was still in the return window, and I still had my 1080 ti, so I requested a refund and sent it back. I did like it and enjoyed the increased performance but it wasn't amazingly better. All of the advanced features are still MIA. I'll wait until all of this is sorted and then decide what I want to do.

Huh? You read about potential problems that some people have with their 2080Ti but you don't have problems with your card yet you returned yours... OK, makes no sense since video cards have at least 3 year warranties.

So Intel, and now Nvidia, rushed SKUs to market and both are taking a bit of flak for various reasons.
Huh, wonder why they rushed.
Competition is great! ..even if competition isn't exactly beating down the door, but getting close enough to make them take rash action.

I have no plans to OC my card and I hope my “luck” of no issues continues

Depends on the root cause! If it's a poorly designed PCB, then it's just an issue waiting to happen like RROD on Xbox's.

If it's a software issue, roll of the dice but at least addressable.
I would be worried only if it's a hardware issue, software can be fixed.

There is zero competition to the 2080ti. Nvidia released it because they knew people wanted a 4K decent FPS card after all these years and they could charge the premium for it.

like this
The more I hear about these issues the less I regret purchasing one..... My 1080ti is going to have to last another year or so it seems. Sorry to hear about this issue for those who have purchased one already. Hopefully AMD can release something competitive soon.

like this
My 2080 ti keeps crashing to desktop in bf v, not sure if video card related or game related.

Sounds like Nvidia needs to suck it up and issue a recall, they screwed up bad this time. I don't recall hearing issues like this with previous launches, so I don't buy the 0.01% BS.

This reminds me of the issues with the LG G4 that would enter bootloops after a certain amount of time. They extended the warranty period for everyone to 15 or 18 months over the standard 12. Both my friend and ended up getting ourr phones fixed / replaced within that time frame. I have a feeling this will be similar, over the next year we will see more and more reports of people doing this.

I simply cannot afford to be playing games like this with my hardware, this level of failure is unacceptable. What this has done for me is ensure I do not buy any Nvidia products unless they have been on the market trouble free for at least six months.

Nvidia needs to find the problem, own it, and make an announcement regarding how they are going to make it right with their customers. Especially given the all time high prices of this series.

AMD needs to capitalize and post a Poor Turing video. Need to think of a word that ends with -turing to cut off with graffiti or something. It worked out so well last time...

Sounds like Nvidia needs to suck it up and issue a recall, they screwed up bad this time.

Not sure if a recall is in order without knowing the cause or failure rate. Maybe there was a bad batch, maybe something more widespread and endemic. I've had my two for going on five weeks now with a around 80 hours of gaming in across a lot of new and demanding titles including VR and so far for good. Of course the moment I say this, SPACE INVADERS!

Something I'll keep an eye out for of course and see what Kyle and others come back with on the cause.

And Jensen on his 5 hour ramble about "it just works" and ray tracing stated the FE was "designed for overclocking"....but not just regular overclocking... "Crazy amounts" of overclocking. Not sure how if even stock clocks can fry the memory.

Go to 58:30 to hear it straight from the horse's ass...err mouth.

Well, NVIDIA shouldn't have been green with greed and cheaped out on HBM 2 I guess

My 2080 ti keeps crashing to desktop in bf v, not sure if video card related or game related.
I was getting crash to desktop in several games and it ended up being a problem with the OC on my RAM.

Running 4133 speed, which was never an issue with my GTX 1080, but seemed to cause problems with the RTX 2080 Ti.

After bumping the RAM voltage to 1.375 (from 1.35) the problems went away. Maybe try tweaking the OC and see if it helps.

I too think they should have gone with HBM2 . The die is so large with all the GDDR6 around adding too already hot GPU is a recipe for disaster. The fact that the power supply junk sits so close to the gpu/mem on reference cards adds even more heat.

Holy crap, this is getting crazy, when it fails on Kyle? There is no way this is a minor issue. Nvidia has MAJOR problems right now.

The RTX technology is just STUPID. The demos that used it, well you can't even barely tell the difference with RTX on. It uses too many resources, and lower FPS. Its too expensive. And they have failure to design a reliable card.

If AMD could get their shti together and come out with some powerful GPUs, then Nvidia would go out of business because people are tired of this shit.

like this
Jeez, thats the shits, sorry it happened, always sucks when we have a hardware failure, but warranty will fix ya up. Interesting times for Nvidia, alone at the top for performance. But a pretty dirty record as of late as a company, and this is another hit at its reputation...Maybe its Karma for GPP?

NEVER PREORDER...Wait for things to shake out before jumping in, obviously Kyles position is different as a reviewer, im thinking Nvidia will hear about this specific failure. I wonder whats going to happen over the next couple of months with all these 20XX series cards? Interesting times.

Does suck they engineered a card so close to its theoretical max, or maybe its just a case of bad design. Turings big dies are hungry for power, they should have cleared out around those traces and run the memory chip in a different location, perhaps larger traces would have stayed cooler? All in all, a poor showing on Nvidia's part.

Good luck on a quick RMA Kyle! Hope they next one is better. Although it looks like an AIB one is a better choice, Looking like FE = Faulty Edition this time 'round

Wow. I think I’ll be sticking with last gen for now. Not to mention RTX isn’t even functional.

I don’t understand the concept of people buying into stuff that can’t currently be used and shown to be a benefit to your use case.

Anyone remember physx? I didn’t bite that bait either.

Let's not pretend you weren't impressed of the framerate you were getting for that 2 hour period, eh? :p

What temps was it running at on load with OC and non OC? Didn't see that in the article.

I bought a 2070 FE at BBuy then took it back never even opened the box. Think I missed a bullet here...........

Jeez, thats the shits, sorry it happened, always sucks when we have a hardware failure, but warranty will fix ya up. Interesting times for Nvidia, alone at the top for performance. But a pretty dirty record as of late as a company, and this is another hit at its reputation...Maybe its Karma for GPP?

Hell yes its Karma, its about time Nvidia gets kicked in the teeth. What goes around, comes around.

like this
Back