GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FAILS After Gaming for 2 Hours @ [H]

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by Kyle_Bennett, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FAILS After Gaming for 2 Hours

I have bought and owned NVIDIA graphics cards for a long time. There has been a lot of talk about the RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition failing lately, a lot of that just being anecdotal. After playing games for two hours this evening this is what I was met with. Unlucky? Or do RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition video cards have some issues?

If you like our content, please support HardOCP on Patreon.

2. cybereality

cybereality 2[H]4U

Damn. Sorry for your loss.

3. Mad[H]atter

Mad[H]atter Blood Diamond Dealer

It looks like your card is trying to play space invaders :eek:

4. capt_cope

capt_cope Gawd

This is why I wait for the [H] before purchasing. I've been waiting (impatiently) with my 1080 for something with the 4k performance of a 2080ti since I bought this card (well over 2 years at this point) but held off until I could get the opinions of people I trust. Glad I didn't jump on the bandwagon and pre-order now.

5. Kyle_Bennett

For the record, I have been playing hunt at 1600p in a borderless window.

6. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

Shame nvidia bungled something with the manufacturing on this. If these problems weren't as rampant this would be a solid card - and I believe they thought it would be given that they allowed a 124% power target on the FE card which is really high given the power spikes and the fact that the card will use all the power you throw at it.

readeh likes this.
  7. Schwartz

Schwartz n00bie

I pre-ordered and received a 2080 ti from Nvidia on 10/5. I never overclocked my card. I never had a problem with it but I kept reading about all of the problems. My serial matched most of the reported dying cards. I don't spend as much time gaming as I used to so I was sitting here thinking, am I going to have a problem and it just hasn't shown up yet because I haven't worked the card hard enough? I've read about people going through multiple RMA cards. I don't feel like playing those games. I was still in the return window, and I still had my 1080 ti, so I requested a refund and sent it back. I did like it and enjoyed the increased performance but it wasn't amazingly better. All of the advanced features are still MIA. I'll wait until all of this is sorted and then decide what I want to do.

GDI Lord, Burticus, Dunnlang and 6 others like this.
  8. Derangel

Derangel [H]ardForum Junkie

That seems to be exactly what Steve from Gamer's Nexus is seeing from the cards he's had viewers send him. If you think it would help, might not be a bad idea to reach out to him and see if you two can figure out what's going on.

Sharps97 likes this.
  9. xSneak

xSneak Limp Gawd

Paying $1k+ to be a beta tester? Feelsbadman
    Will this become a 3.5GB level of scandal in the future? :nailbiting:

vjhawk, arkan0id, d50man and 21 others like this.
  10. Brian_B

Brian_B [H]ard|Gawd

It’s only people who didn’t sign an NDA. Signers haven’t had any issues at all with their cards.

xmadror, vjhawk, dvsman and 44 others like this.
  11. Kyle_Bennett

What has he done beside verify what users have already confirmed? Great having confirmation to "verify," but I do not need anyone to verify what I know is a an issue. I was confirming problems with GPUs when Digital Jesus was still shitting his pants.

12. CoreStoffer

CoreStoffer Limp Gawd

:(:mad::(

Just for the record, Kyle: Did you guys encounter any issue with your Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti or only with the Founders Edition?

fadedlogic and HockeyJon like this.
  13. Kyle_Bennett

Had we had any issues with the ROG STRIX 2080 card we would have SURELY voiced those. We do not keep things from our readers. It has cost us advertisers in the past, and will cost us advertisers in thre future, but that is not how we roll.

14. CoreStoffer

CoreStoffer Limp Gawd

Thanks man. Looks like I might have done the right thing and went for the more expensive ROG STRIX 2080 Ti over the FE (which have been available for weeks here in EU).

I hope that you (and others) will get this complete FE mess resolved ASAP! :punch:

15. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

Do you have a log of when the card took a shit? I’m curious as to what the power % readings were and if it correlated with a spike.

16. Icon_Charlie

Icon_Charlie [H]Lite

Well you know that these cards was a rush job... Right?? Quality control was a wee bit.... lessened.... Heh.... Heh.... Heh....

You got to keep those unused 10 series cards close to MSRP you know.... Heh... Heh... Heh...

How you like having an expensive Door stopper when that con artist in his leather suit is laughing all the way to the bank Eh??? Heh... Heh... Heh...

If this sounds harsh, its not meant to be... it is more of a reminder of the type of sick corporate concepts I've been dealing with these days.

They do not give one's rat's ass about quality control when they have cornered the market. So what they got a few cards and that are on the Fritz... RMA it. and write it off their taxes.
    Spin doctor it and abuse the accounting methods by changing the replacements as Additional sales.

Where the bottom line is the investors... and not the customers...

jnemesh, Dudhunter, Aireoth and 8 others like this.
  17. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Nvidia picking special cards out just for Kyle :(. In any case this sucks! RMA?

Kyle, any tests in decreasing memory/GPU speeds/voltages to nail closer what failed? New drivers? I hope you share your experience since it may mimic so many others who had forked over the bucks and just got a paper weight.

AceGoober and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  18. notarat

notarat [H]ard|Gawd

But...But...But...The people who made it say the failure rate is less than .1% and that .1% was because someone had a bad acid trip in the warehouse and ran over them with a forklift. Even then, they managed to fix them all by screwing them back together with some woodscrews they had leftover from a previous release. ;)

CaptNumbNutz and ltron like this.
  19. Kyle_Bennett

Playing now, logging now.

I have always been a 1 percenter....I mean a .1 percenter....

20. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

Does nVidia make you pay for shipping back like the AIBs do?

NukeDukem likes this.
  21. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza [H]ardness Supreme

whats the difference between teh founders edition and say an after market one by pailet/msi/evga?

are the aftermarket ones designed the same way as the founders edition one?

CaptNumbNutz likes this.
  22. bill_d

bill_d Limp Gawd

glad I snagged a Strix

not that I am now worried about this it's giving me heartburn

I can see a class action in NVidia's future if this keep up

23. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

That crash screen is crazy! Those look like crazy sprites for a 1982 unreleased arcade game. I knew the tensor cores were high-tech, but a portal to the past? Fuck me!
    The lost Polybius included with every card.

GT98, Comixbooks, DrezKill and 5 others like this.
  24. Kyle_Bennett

Just got number two failure. And a bit of video. :(

dvsman, arkan0id, Aluminum and 18 others like this.
  25. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

Different card? I read some conspiracy theories about serial numbers 323 being borked. I was wondering what yours start with.

The real conspiracy theory you guys should be going after is that the press cards had no issues and Kyle’s independently purchased did!

26. Kyle_Bennett

Never thought of that...... ;)

DrezKill, jnemesh, Aireoth and 7 others like this.
  27. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

It's obvious, you're using it wrong. :)

dvsman, jnemesh, tungt88 and 5 others like this.
  28. SmokeRngs

SmokeRngs [H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2008

No, no, no. The Space Invaders screen is a feature. You see, it's a screensaver you didn't even know you had...

arkan0id, cyclone3d, Nobu and 11 others like this.
  29. geok1ng

geok1ng [H]ard|Gawd

isn't odd that a hardware failure on a VGA create sprites that are too familiar to be explained by random electrons flipping bits somewhere?
    every VGA artofact i have seen before was irregular, random and definitively not sprite-like.
    i would not be surprised if this turns out to be some software issue.

Dudhunter and CaptNumbNutz like this.
  30. Orddie

Orddie 2[H]4U

Every time I read about the cards dying it’s after an overclock.

I have no plans to OC my card and I hope my “luck” of no issues continues

31. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

And Jensen on his 5 hour ramble about "it just works" and ray tracing stated the FE was "designed for overclocking"....but not just regular overclocking... "Crazy amounts" of overclocking. Not sure how if even stock clocks can fry the memory.

Go to 58:30 to hear it straight from the horse's ass...err mouth.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  32. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

Sorry to hear about the loss Kyle. Regardless of part, it's always one of my fears. Warranty or not it's still a PIA to deal with.

Can't wait untill the cause is discovered. A rumor I've read is that it's related to the FE PCB's vapor chamber and qa with paste or something making contact that shouldn't because of the chamber. If that's true, then all the more reason those Strix's will kick butt with their custom PCB's. Another thing is that if it's true is that OC'ing or not won't matter sooner or later it'll happen anyway.

FE = F****D Edition?

N4CR, Madoc, HockeyJon and 3 others like this.
  33. jgonz

jgonz [H]Lite

This Sucks! What ever is causing this better be addressed by NVIDIA soon. A recall should be in order for such an expensive card.

34. dbwillis

dbwillis [H]ardness Supreme

Ouch, that's an expensive problem

35. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

Looking at that geforce forum link they appear to have changed the box colour scheme for the ones with new samsung ram, black at the top as opposed to light grey. Wonder if that's a coinky dink or they realised that something was fucked up and done this to make replacing failed units faster based on colour codes for the boxes?

36. Jza

Jza [H]Lite

Ya can't spell NVIDIA with out a capital N, D, & A. I wish consumers would skip Intel's 9000 series and NVIDIA's 2000 RTX series all together... send them a message. I'm assuming this is a card Kyle purchased, so what we are seeing is what any run of the mill end user would experience. Hopefully it's just driver issues but Ngreedia has proven they are capable of selling bad hardware for a LOOOONG time and pretend everything is fine (ahem G92, never FORGET!)

Glad we got Tech Jesus AND Tech Satan (hehe Kyle Bennett) keeping us in the know on all this stuff. Let off some steam BENNETT!

Also curious to see if these problems extend heavily to the 3rd party card producers as well. Are the GPUs themselves problematic or does NVID just suck at putting them on their own PCBs? The tear down for MSI 2080 card looked a hell of a lot simpler than the ridiculous FE card with its glue and 10,000 screws. Please Lisa Su save us from NVIDIA too, not just Intel!!

37. NukeDukem

NukeDukem 2[H]4U

"It just works." - Nvidia

"Built to overclock." - Nvidia

"NVIDIA: THE WAY IT WAS MEANT TO BE RMA'd"

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    vjhawk, Aluminum, cyclone3d and 20 others like this.
  38. Imhotep

Imhotep Gawd

Mr. Distinguished Nvidia Engineer. Please let us know when common sense hits you in the head....:D

jmilcher and AceGoober like this.
  39. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

Its SPACE INVADERS!!!

15417425300uwvzhy0ec_1_1.jpg

Or centepide maybe?

vjhawk, d50man, cyclone3d and 7 others like this.
  40. DouglasteR

DouglasteR Limp Gawd

My worst nightmare would be this.