GeForce RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti Reviews

^^ At this point any RT use would be an unexpected bonus @ 4K. I fully expect it to be unplayable @ 4K until next gen cards. And even then, who knows. Might take 2 gens.
We’ll see how much, if any, optimization can happen. I probably wouldn’t SLI unless I knew for a fact I could get a solid 50-60FPS with RT. Not dipping into the 40s constantly and such. Might not be possible on the 2000 SLi series. Also, we’ll have see if devs continue to make solid SLi profiles or if it’s support fades more than it already has.

What games would you be playing? I, for my part, will try to get the highest possible FPS without sacrificing quality, but will compromise on resolution. Especially, on fast paced shooters. Games that won't really allow you to enjoy the benefits of RT and such.
I'm definitely over 1080p, with 1440p @ 100Hz + being what I game mostly on. The exception being flight sims, where a higher refresh rate is not absolutely required.

Yup, there's never been a better time to buy 2 year old tech for 100$ less than it was at release.

A few weeks ago, B&H Photo was selling a 1080Ti combo with PS, for around $680. If SLI wasn't so poorly implemented I would've jumped on that deal.
Today, the same card is going for $829. Something tells me this lackluster performance/cost ratio of the new NVidia GPUs has something to do with it.

Big fan of the Yes Man there Krenum as I find him pretty entertaining and seemingly genuine. He is getting to that rock star sub count though so hopfully stays true to himself.

I discovered his channel a few years ago. Good stuff! I really enjoy his PC refurbishment videos. (y)

A few weeks ago, B&H Photo was selling a 1080Ti combo with PS, for around $680. If SLI wasn't so poorly implemented I would've jumped on that deal.
Today, the same card is going for $829. Something tells me this lackluster performance/cost ratio of the new NVidia GPUs has something to do with it.

Hmm. Wonder what I could sell my Pascal Titan X with EK fullcover waterblock for...

I could use some more performance for 4k gaming. Just not sure if it is worth it yet.

Waiting on the H review (and Navi) but the comments have been entertaining.

Indeed, in [H] we trust.

I assume AMD is taking notes right about now.

1. Have performance numbers before launch
2. Don't launch a product based on a tech demo
3. Have game ready drivers, ready
4. Have said marketing technology ready at launch
5. Don't repeat Vega....

Even the king of shilling (Linus) is poopooing nvidia this go round. Especially about the features that you can't use right now.
You can use them on Linux (Michael at Phoronix says the driver has been updated with ray tracing support)...that is, if it's enabled in the games on steam.

1080ti is 700. 2080 is 750-800 with early drivers and some fun tech to play with. They trade blows. Guess I'd probably opt to spend a bit more on the 2080 in that price range...

You can use them on Linux (Michael at Phoronix says the driver has been updated with ray tracing support)...that is, if it's enabled in the games on steam.

I meant linus tech tips

upload_2018-9-19_23-52-32.png

I CALLED IT on the what Nvidia was doing... I called it on the price and performance ratios. I even nailed in on my purchase of my 1070 as far as cost.

Everything I have stated in ALL of my past comments about what Nvidia as done as per MARKET manipulation to REASON why the pricing is the way it is (to sell 10 series back stock) has come true.

Now Uncle Charlie is going to take his "happy pills" and go and get some shut eye knowing that two years of marketing research paid off. Now why did I spend two years of doing this?

Well for reasons I wanted to know about the crytpo craze of that time. I thought there might be something to this BUT!!!!.... The more I started digging,... the more bullshit I found with a lot that was going on with Crypto mining which Cascaded over to Nvidia and Ram manufactures. Which I conclude that I believe that there was some price fixing, serious market manipulation going on.

Ram Manufactures are getting Sued. Bitmain is in some trouble atm and Nvidia is laughing all way to the bank.

Icon Charlie... He's not the crazy old man giving out candy... He's the Crazy Old Man on his pile of money beating off the young punks with a base ball bat... ;)

Feeling vindicated is a wonderful thing and I look forward in seeing Kyle's Report when it comes out.

I think most all 2080 TI orders have been delayed, haven’t they?

Wow, I didn't think of that. Do you think Nvidia purposely botched the performance of these cards so that they could sell their remaining overstock of 10 series cards that they failed to sell during the Crypto downfall?

That's quite a theory. And I would not put it past any company to do this, or at least talk about it.

I think you figured it out.

I predicted before launch that they would increase prices significantly and that they would launch the Ti early to justify it. At least a month out before any leaks, so far, bang on predictions. Being a business guy they are sort of easy to read ;)

So because of that I'd say raising the prices was for a few main predictable reasons:
Artificially protect 2 year old tech prices from devaluing, inventory gluts are bad for investor reports and shares
Creates higher pricing expectations for next round (Just like flagship smartphones went from what 500-600 to 1200 bucks in a few years and naive suckers still pay for it)
Die size is bigger, so slightly higher BOM (Like 20-40 bucks maybe).
PREMIUM COURAGE
And of course a healthy dollop of fuck you

Basically just Nvidia ensuring they will have their expected bottom line increase. Remember, when businesses fail to grow they suddenly die (to greedy investors that is), so everything is about making that perception.

What's going to get really interesting is if competition from AMD or Intel is viable in the gGPU market. AMD is still competitive (even with Vega) in some machine learning/FP16 tasks and especially on price. But if it hits dGPU/gaming, it will cause price compression, which is exactly what Nvidia wants to avoid.

In an effort to combat conspiracy (as much as I'd love to jump on that bandwagon lol)... Since we know Kyle pre-ordered his day one and relatively early on in the day, did anyone here pre-order one really late in the day (or even the next day, if any were still available) and not receive that notice? If so, or you feel perhaps you are, I'm sure you could msg him to compare order numbers. That'd be a rather good piece of evidence and an almost fitting end to the GPP Tale, and potentially even highlighting that despite the offer of an NDA, that they had no intention to source him a card for launch day.

I'm just hoping it's all a funny coincidence though. As much as I dislike nV, I would sure as hell hope they wouldn't be that petty and vindictive.
Then again, they do exhibit the maturity of an 8 year old, and Kyle was a tornado in their trailer park... so I guess I wouldn't put it too far passed them. heh

upload_2018-9-20_0-50-40.png

Well, they have one more card to play since they have the market by the balls. Start gimping and not offering driver optimizations on the 10 series which I am willing to bet will start happening when the newer games come to light.

Great point. And I would not be surprised (as others have said here including you) that a magical driver comes out after 10 series stock is mostly depleted ;)

EDIT: Tin Foil hat time: This is what all the games will look like next summer when all the 1080ti overstock is sold.. Big driver nerf has to come sooner or later right?

They've already been suspected of this in past, so I would expect it will not come from nerfing, but from driver development for turing.
Wonder why RT and all the other fluff hasn't worked for launch? Wouldn't want those 1080s looking any worse now would we, while people are paying premium for two year old stock because 'the new shiny isn't so fast for the price' (especially while it's low stock during launch).. It all works perfectly for them coincidentally I'm sure.

Who's paying MSRP for 10-series cards these days?
There are some sales but as a general rule currently, (especially now people know the performance difference isn't huge.. at the moment) they're not much cheaper than they were 2 years ago due to mining gouging still being phased out. If even the same price.

Reference scalping edition is still $699 in Nvidia store.
They were launched at... $699
They are still on Newegg... $699-700+ across the vast majority of the range.

Two years later.
Never before has this been achieved, so yeah enjoy the price rape from Nvidia. I hope the 3080Ti is $1600! It's going to be 30% faster, so its' worth it, right? The 4080 of course should be 2k because it'll be 60% faster! Sounds like a great plan to price like this when suckers will keep paying for it.

*edit, more like we sent all our stock to youtube reviewers that signed our precious NDA in the agreement they would give us high marks. :mad::punch:

every review I've read is lukewarm on the overall value of the cards...NDA or no NDA, it seems every review site is in agreement- great cards, poor value, way overpriced, buy a 1080Ti

There are some sales but as a general rule currently, (especially now people know the performance difference isn't huge.. at the moment) they're not much cheaper than they were 2 years ago due to mining gouging still being phased out. If even the same price.

Reference scalping edition is still $699 in Nvidia store.
They were launched at... $699
They are still on Newegg... $699-700+ across the vast majority of the range.

Two years later.
Never before has this been achieved, so yeah enjoy the price rape from Nvidia. I hope the 3080Ti is $1600! It's going to be 30% faster, so its' worth it, right? The 4080 of course should be 2k because it'll be 60% faster! Sounds like a great plan to price like this when suckers will keep paying for it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some good sales on 10-series cards again before the year is out. If partners really were forced to take orders of a bunch of 10-series chips they're going to want to get rid of them. There were some good sales going on before and right after the RTX announcement. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Nvidia asked the AIBs to hold off on discounts during the 2080/2080 ti launch.

Sooo...

2080 = 1080TI
2080TI = 1080TI + 30%

This would be great...if the 2080 and 2080TI were $500 and $700, respectively. But they aren't, and it isn't.

I actually saw some benchmarks where the 1080ti pulled ahead of the 2080 (optimizations?)

I was hoping the 2080 would be the 30% gap card but I guess it isn't.

If your looking to use DLSS then go for it..... otherwise wait till next gen.

Funny how they are really struggling to keep that Titan price point.

I wouldn't spend that much on a single GPU personally. the older Titans had the lure of accelerating double precision work and HAPPEN to be faster in games.

1080ti = 2080 and the 2080ti is in the titans spot.

They run hotter, needed to dump blower design because of it.

Guess i'm happy and won't take the bait.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some good sales on 10-series cards again before the year is out. If partners really were forced to take orders of a bunch of 10-series chips they're going to want to get rid of them. There were some good sales going on before and right after the RTX announcement. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Nvidia asked the AIBs to hold off on discounts during the 2080/2080 ti launch.
You're probably right on the money with them trying to minimise discounts. Maybe also why they tried to hold mining pricing out as long as possible, so they can 'discount it' before launch.

Only ones under are an overstocked refurb, a low binned MSI at $650 and a gigabyte at $674
See that 'sale ends in 3 days'. It was probably set on sale prior to the RTX launch... Rest of them not discounted much at all (not below MSRP 2 years later!) or MIR only, how strange.
1080ti prices during 2000 launch.jpg

Prices on Ebay for the 2080 Ti are insane...Lowest one I saw was around $1350, and most of the rest started at $1500 and went up from there. (One guy wanted around $3400 for one....Crazy)

Looks to me like the majority of publications are going at Nvidia pretty hard for the pricing and the lack of RTX and DLSS to test with. Doesn't seem like the NDA affected the conclusions much, but we'll have to see.

I'm thinking about buying a second 1080Ti and run SLI again. Or maybe just use one 1080Ti until next gen.

I've learned a lot from Kyle and the Hard staff. These reviews just seem so scripted to me. Thanks Kyle for not becoming a nVidia talking point.

so they renamed the 1080TI to 2080, renamed the 1080 to 2070
to cover it up they released a gaming version of the Titan V and called it 2080TI
and to justify it they announced the RTX thing

how to sell the same performance for higher price: rename it

i still can do the step up with evga but even 300 extra doesnt seem worth it and i want to make a point as a consumer. i partly blame amd for this if they had anything competitive i doubt we would see these prices.

BINGO.

Although, Nvidia has crafted an amazing culture of "if it has AMD in it, there must be something wrong"

So when is the '15' series coming out? Pascal could use a good die shrink, some HBM memory and they would be better cards.
This generation is not elegant, is not polished and its too expensive.
The RTX shit should have been add in accelerators until later.

Prices on Ebay for the 2080 Ti are insane...Lowest one I saw was around $1350, and most of the rest started at $1500 and went up from there. (One guy wanted around $3400 for one....Crazy)

Scalpers need to eat dirt I wonder how many cards were just bought for that purpose. With the inflated prices means demand will be lower less people will pay for those crazy prices.

Last edited:
Didn't you order one of each? A 2080 and a 2080TI?
No, I'm pretty sure Kyle ordered:

2 x 2080 and 2 x 2080 TI

I wished they had delayed the 2080's vanilla and send the 2080 TI's by super-duper express to Kyle, but alas not. :(

I hope this community is doing its part to educate your friends and family that are considering buying a video card. Point them toward a 1080 ti for $500 used if possible. They are all over Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace at least here where I live.

Shocking how expensive the 2080 is and for basically the same performance as the 1080 Ti.

I'm only sticking with my 2080 ti pre-order because I've been using a slow 1080 in a 4K environment and it's just not nearly as powerful as I need.

As soon as I get my RTX 2080 ti I'll be dumbing a like new Asus Strix 1080 for $375 locally.

i still can do the step up with evga but even 300 extra doesnt seem worth it and i want to make a point as a consumer. i partly blame amd for this if they had anything competitive i doubt we would see these prices.

The joys of no competition. How many said the prices won't be affected even if there was no AMD?

Reactions: ChadD
like this
So, pretty much if you have a 1080Ti, and unless you are wanting bleeding edge performance at 4K, there is no reason to upgrade to a 2080Ti. I game at 2K. 70% price increase for roughly 20-25% improvement in performance doesn't make financial sense no matter which way you slice it. Unless you just have disposable income to piss away.

So, pretty much if you have a 1080Ti, and unless you are wanting bleeding edge performance at 4K, there is no reason to upgrade to a 2080Ti. I game at 2K. 70% price increase for roughly 20-25% improvement in performance doesn't make financial sense no matter which way you slice it. Unless you just have disposable income to piss away.

Thanks Capt. O. Not like that is what everyone has been saying for a month.

Horribly overpriced, not worth it.

That 30% on average increase over the GTX 1080 Ti just isn't worth the price, nor does it justify the insane pricing. If you want either a RTX 2080 or a 1080 Ti, probably wiser to get a 1080 Ti at this point, more VRAM and cheaper. That 8GB VRAM buffer for the RTX 2080 is rather unattractive at that price point.

Horribly overpriced, not worth it.

That 30% on average increase over the GTX 1080 Ti just isn't worth the price, nor does it justify the insane pricing. If you want either a RTX 2080 or a 1080 Ti, probably wiser to get a 1080 Ti at this point, more VRAM and cheaper. That 8GB VRAM buffer for the RTX 2080 is rather unattractive at that price point.

Yup. And I've seen games use more than 8GB at 2K resolution. Like the COD Blackout beta was using around 9.5 GB. So, that may very well be the reason the 1080Ti is beating the 2080 in some games.

Yes. And I don’t think he’s missing out much based on the reviews that are out.

Pretty obvious now why they came up with the oppressive NDA. They seem to be at the same wall everyone else is. Producing tiny incremental changes for tons more money. Things are grim Gents.

Pretty obvious now why they came up with the oppressive NDA. They seem to be at the same wall everyone else is. Producing tiny incremental changes for tons more money. Things are grim Gents.
35%-40% @ 4K is hardly “incremental”, not to mention what DLSS will bring..

Incremental is Intel. And they got around that by adding cores.

Back