GeForce RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti Reviews

Absolute beast of a card. Thoroughly hands the 1080 Ti it’s ass @ 4K.

Deliver ma card already!!!

Which one? The Ti or the regular 2080? Because the 1080ti matches and even beat's it in some games. View videos above.

As I recall and if we're to believe what nV has said (big IF there...), there isn't going to be an Enthusiast Grade 20-series card. The Ti is the top dawg for the consumers, and any card release that has better specs on paper, won't have gaming-focused drivers.

Now, my details get hazy on whether they indicated they were shelving the Titan name completely, or if they were only going to use it for commercial/industrial grade usage, akin to Tesla.

2080ti is enthusiast grade. How much bigger of a die do you want? 1000mm2? 700w at the wall with all features enabled?

I just checked my invoice from my 1080 and I paid 849 € for an Asus strix, I can buy one of the cheaper 2080 cards for around that amount (839 € for an inno3D) but the Asus strix is 1079 €, which is a lot more.

Not sure I want to pay that much for a 30-ish % increase, maybe I should hold out, went from a 780 to a 1080, now that was a jump in performance.

It beats it. Doesn't hand the 1080ti it's ass unless you are looking at nvidia slides.

Vega and 2080ti, yes AMD gets decimated.

When even the shills say.. Dont Buy because of the price to performance ratio, I would head that advice.
Personally, I think nVidia set the price high due to the huge backstock of 1080 GPUs.
I suspect a price drop in a few months when that 1080 inventory diwindles, and magical driver update increases performance.

This, because Nvidia smartly set the price so high for such little performance gain, people are happy to pay top dollar for 2 year old tech thinking it's 'a bargain' all of a sudden, then nvidia shares don't look shitty and Jensen can get a 26th Tesla for his jacket. Fuck the employees of course eh!
Brilliant move, Nvidia.
Wake up, consumers.

Only smart way is to wait or not play.

Last edited:
This, because Nvidia smartly set the price so high for such little performance gain, people are happy to pay top dollar for 2 year old tech thinking it's 'a bargain' all of a sudden, then nvidia shares don't look shitty and Jensen can get a 26th Tesla for his jacket. Fuck the employees of course eh!
Brilliant move, Nvidia.
Wake up, consumers.

Wow, I didn't think of that. Do you think Nvidia purposely botched the performance of these cards so that they could sell their remaining overstock of 10 series cards that they failed to sell during the Crypto downfall?

That's quite a theory. And I would not put it past any company to do this, or at least talk about it.

I think you figured it out.

So it's more expensive than a 1080Ti and no faster. HOLD ME BACK I NEED ONE RIGHT NOW.

It seems to me that the only SKU that makes sense is the 2080ti, and only if you are at 4k and absolutely need the performance and are willing to pay dearly for it.

For the rest of the lineup, the previous gen appears to be a better buy.

l114AM9-j4w2PQIWG_BVrK28gWW24qYNADXhrxttAmw.jpg

Hopefully more about searching having been frustrating on a mobile phone rather than laziness, but...

Has anyone come across any apples-to-apples benchmarks in these reviews that have 2080 Ti numbers using both Coffee Lake and Ryzen CPUs?

Brilliant move, Nvidia.
Wake up, consumers.

Well, they have one more card to play since they have the market by the balls. Start gimping and not offering driver optimizations on the 10 series which I am willing to bet will start happening when the newer games come to light.

Brilliant move, Nvidia.
Wake up, consumers.

Who's paying MSRP for 10-series cards these days?

Not going to lie , going on almost two years with my Titan Xp , BenQ 4k monitors and nothing on the horizon to make me want to replace my monitors as I can't go below 32"/4k and don't want a TV for a monitor. The 2080 ti , with likely a 9700k will be perfect for me for my pure gaming rig (have a Ryzen for my 2nd work/misc rig).

Is it cost effective , best bang for the buck ? Absolutely not.

But for someone with the income and who enjoys the hobby , if you want to do 4k , do it well , I don't see the 2080ti as that outlandish of a purchase.

Ray tracing I don't give a crap about , but the increased min fps and average fps for the 2080ti will do me well until 32"-40" 144 4k monitors become more available in another year or two.

Well, they have one more card to play since they have the market by the balls. Start gimping and not offering driver optimizations on the 10 series which I am willing to bet will start happening when the newer games come to light.

The stupid gimping conspiracy theory needs to die. Every single comprehensive test has proven the theory to be nothing more than hogwash. As for optimization, I wouldn't count on them abandoning the 10-series for a while. The 4 year old 9-series still gets stuff every now and then. Also, let's not pretend that Nvidia doesn't want to keep selling 10-series cards. They have a lot of chips they need to off-load so they want people to buy them.

Apparently all of Ebay, just checked prices, 450-600+ for USED lol. EVGA's site, forget about it.

I got my 1080 ti, brand new direct from EVGA, for $650. Decent prices are out there for people that don't just rush into shit.

I got my 1080 ti, brand new direct from EVGA, for $650. Decent prices are out there for people that don't just rush into shit.

I'd say you got a good deal because they're 700+ dollars right now on EVGA's website. And the B stock is 800+!

Not going to lie , going on almost two years with my Titan Xp , BenQ 4k monitors and nothing on the horizon to make me want to replace my monitors as I can't go below 32"/4k and don't want a TV for a monitor. The 2080 ti , with likely a 9700k will be perfect for me for my pure gaming rig (have a Ryzen for my 2nd work/misc rig).

Is it cost effective , best bang for the buck ? Absolutely not.

But for someone with the income and who enjoys the hobby , if you want to do 4k , do it well , I don't see the 2080ti as that outlandish of a purchase.

Ray tracing I don't give a crap about , but the increased min fps and average fps for the 2080ti will do me well until 32"-40" 144 4k monitors become more available in another year or two.
Exactly.
Those of us who play at whatever top-res is at the time are used to running SLI. I think I paid close to $1,100 for my 980Tis SLi. I sold em for a killing and replaced them with a single 2080 Ti. Now I’ll have the first single card that can truly rock 4K. I purposely didn’t jump on the 1080 Ti thing because it didn’t offer the single card performance I wanted for 4K. In many cases my 980Tis were slightly faster.
If you’re at 1440p with a 1080Ti, then there’s not much reason to drop cash on a 2080 Ti. 4K? Different story.
I, and most others could give a crap about RT at this point, just give me brute single-card horsepower for 4K. The 2080Ti delivers.

Last edited:
Wccftech's review was blatant brown nosing.
Nothing matters to me but the [H] review. Hard to trust people who get shit for free. Not smart to bite the hand that feeds.

What are you talking about? You do realize that [H] does reviews based on "Free shit" too right? They don't buy every single product they review. If not for Nvidia's insane NDA they would have also got "free shit" for this launch. Most reviews are calling these cards not worth the money and some are telling people they should buy older cards instead. Hell, Linus of LTT went off on a bit of a rant about Nvidia's messaging around these cards. Reviewers are definitely biting Nvidia's hand here.

I'd say you got a good deal because they're 700+ dollars right now on EVGA's website. And the B stock is 800+!

Yeah, they had a big sale going on around the RTX reveal. Some good prices on a lot of cards. Bunch of stuff was on sale. Ended up picking up the CPU cooler I'm using during the sale as well since it was so cheap.

Not going to lie , going on almost two years with my Titan Xp

How did you pull that off?

The Titan Xp was only launched in April last year. If you got one at launch, the longest you could have ahd one would be 17 months :p

Did you mean the Pascal Titan X? That came out about 2 years (~25 months) ago :p

2080ti is enthusiast grade. How much bigger of a die do you want? 1000mm2? 700w at the wall with all features enabled?
Err. No, you're right, it is in a certain regard. Sorry heh
I meant purely in the sense that there is a 2080, and a 2080 Ti. That's it, that's the top of the product stack. There's not a "Titan" model that the enthusiasts need to hold-out for. The Ti is their card. And that's not to say the previous Ti's weren't as well, but they didn't come about till after the Titan had manifested.

Basically from my perspective, nV's marketing had been...
Release new, gimped, but still powerful GPU.... milk the market.
Release a full-dieTitan a few months later.... milk the market again.
Release a slightly adjusted Ti model as a slightly slower, more affordable Titan.... milk the rest of the market.

It wasn't the Tick-Tock situation we were used to, it wasn't a refresh of the arch with improvements, it wasn't a new node process, they just intentionally held back the full offering.

Yet, it's as people have said --which as much as I loathe nV and love AMD, I'm not going to try to hide-- AMD's position has put nV in this place of being able to do that, as unfortunate as it is. They've been incapable of providing a GPU that can go toe-to-toe with the full-die nV parts, and so in turn they get to play that market game. Also doesn't help that their release times have spread out so far that they aren't going head to head in that regard anymore, either. I do miss those days... It's 'sports' for dorks. lol Watching the two teams battle it out in GPU season. Now each team is kinda playing a completely different sport, and aren't playing each other anymore :(

What kills it for me is price and subpar performance at 2560x1440. I noticed in one review a difference of 23FPS between a 1080 and a 2080 for Far Cry 5 at 2560x1440, at 1920x1080 its a differrence of 7FPS.. If I was to buy a MSI 2080 RTX Gaming X Trio including MA sales tax is over $900. Usually I buy the 70 series cards, and that is looking like it will be around $700. I like to consider myself a enthusiast but at these prices and and lack of performance at 2K I'll pass. I will say though for those at 4K resolution the 2080Ti RTX is a beast and seems to be worth the upgrade for them.

Across a lot of those reviews I saw some pretty large discrepancies and I’m wondering if there isn’t some CPU-bound issues going on. You wouldn’t think there would be at 1440p, but it appears there might be. Or something else...

so the 1080Ti and 2080 are close enough in performance...but the 2080 contains all the extra ray-tracing and Tensor goodies...but then again ray-tracing is really only meant for the 2080Ti and the 2080/2070 with RT enabled will have an even bigger performance hit...so the 1080Ti might still be the better value overall in all this...so the final word seems to be to get the 1080Ti or wait for next-gen cards (or get the 2080Ti if $$ is no object)

The FE are a linear price increase for the die area, which is actually a bargain because it hurts yields making fewer larger dies. It's just that that many of those extra transistors were spent on ray tracing and tensor cores. Only a relatively small amount went into to more CUDA cores and you're seeing exactly that. Performance increase is more or less exactly inline with the estimates from anyone not an AMD fan or drinking NVIDIA koolaid. Not sure why this is news unless you're 12 and have no idea about how semi-conductor manufacturing works. Pricing at the high end is rarely to never linear.

The real interesting reviews will be when RT and DLSS are widely used. Unfortunately, for now is looks like the extra bandwidth across NVLINK won't be used for shared memory and just is more SLI. Given that, I don't expect much from dual GPU...yet. There are rumors that the software for shared memory is still coming and it's just not ready for launch. We'll see.

Exactly.
Those of us who play at whatever top-res is at the time are used to running SLI. I think I paid close to $1,100 for my 980Tis SLi. I sold em for a killing and replaced them with a single 2080 Ti. Now I’ll have the first single card that can truly rock 4K. I purposely didn’t jump on the 1080 Ti thing because it didn’t offer the single card performance I wanted for 4K. In many cases my 980Tis were slightly faster.
If you’re at 1440p with a 1080Ti, then there’s not much reason to drop cash on a 2080 Ti. 4K? Different story.
I, and most others could give a crap about RT at this point, just give me brute single-card horsepower for 4K. The 2080Ti delivers.
Delivers in SLI I bet.

Big fan of the Yes Man there Krenum as I find him pretty entertaining and seemingly genuine. He is getting to that rock star sub count though so hopfully stays true to himself.

Also everyone.

Did you see the Wolfenstien 2 chart from Techpowerup? Vega 64 looking good even ;) but my AMD bias aside ---- look at Turing smoking everything in Vulkan. The 2080 runs away from the 1080ti here. Sure this is an outlier but fuck RT get some more games built on the Vulkan API.

Damn!

vulkan.PNG

EDIT: Tin Foil hat time: This is what all the games will look like next summer when all the 1080ti overstock is sold.. Big driver nerf has to come sooner or later right?

I’m sure it does - luckily I just need 4K60..
When 8K hits...ouch. Back to SLI I go..

Once ray tracing starts of hit off you'll probably have to jump back to SLI as well, if any games use it well enough to actually make it worth the performance hit. Hopefully RT and SLI/NVLink work together so people that want to/are going to buy two 2080s or 2080 tis can make full use of the set up.

Thanks, NVidia.

Marginal improvement over the 1080 Ti, with a hefty price tag?
Nah! I'm good!

The only thing that really makes me mad a little, is that games do not - for the most part - make the most of GPUs working in SLI, especilly in DCS, or you'd bet your last dollar I would get me another 1080 Ti FTW.

Once ray tracing starts of hit off you'll probably have to jump back to SLI as well, if any games use it well enough to actually make it worth the performance hit. Hopefully RT and SLI/NVLink work together so people that want to/are going to buy two 2080s or 2080 tis can make full use of the set up.

^^ At this point any RT use would be an unexpected bonus @ 4K. I fully expect it to be unplayable @ 4K until next gen cards. And even then, who knows. Might take 2 gens.
We’ll see how much, if any, optimization can happen. I probably wouldn’t SLI unless I knew for a fact I could get a solid 50-60FPS with RT. Not dipping into the 40s constantly and such. Might not be possible on the 2000 series. Also, we’ll have see if devs continue to make solid SLi profiles or if it’s support fades even more than it already has.

Pcper didn't drink the kool aid yet

"Combined with the relative lack of competition in the high-end GPU space, I'm sure these new RTX products will sell reasonably well, but personally, I think there's never been a better time to buy a GTX 10-series GPU on a discount, and enjoy your PC games."

More power to them! Always liked that site

Yup, there's never been a better time to buy 2 year old tech for 100$ less than it was at release.

Back